hunted with capt mike today

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

hunted with capt mike today

Postby toolmaker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 pm

I finally fulfilled my promise to take Capt Mike out....i knew we'd have the early wind in our face a little, but it was suppoed to stay under 8 mph then turn westerly...well it took its sweet old time and it picked up to about 15 in our face... then the wind finally started to walk around and when it got NW it started to snow golfball size flakes.

but we hung in there moving up with the tide about 6 times....we set for bluebills just in case as well as goldeneyes...we shot 2 goldeneyes 4 bluebills a brant and an old squaw before we bailed from that set...sure enough we were tearing down and the goldeneyes were flying like bees....we must have seen 100 goldeneye or more, hundreds and hundreds of oldsquaw.... so thick, we were thinking they were bluebills flying all around....mainly because there were also BB in the area. Then we set for puddlers and picked off two widgeon and three canada geese...( i cant tell you how many times today my gun either had only two sheels or only one shell in it!! once it wasnt even loaded when birds came it...so when a flock of canadas sails in..I have only two shells....mike bagged 2 and i bagged 2, but we lost one after it sailed....it lippped the water and we looked and looked...it was pretty choppy.... the three we recovered were all BANDED!!!..and the #'s were not from the same years...pretty neat.. soooo not a bad day...some poor shooting, some misques, some red faces ha ha....new friend

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Re: hunted with capt mike today

Postby Ithaca33 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Nice hunt! Glad people are still connecting!
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:29 pm

That's a great haul so pissed I had work now I missed a great day. Any geese from Canada in that bunch ?
cthunter144
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:23 pm

cthunter144 wrote:That's a great haul so pissed I had work now I missed a great day. Any geese from Canada in that bunch ?

all locals....one from 2006

if we had shot better, we probably would have left before we shot the geese! ha ha

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:52 pm

Nice haul! Great report!
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:56 am

Nice job Tool!!

My season ended Saturday. Must work on Monday. We managed a couple birds after moving from one unproductive spot to another. Weather never really panned out as predicted and as we'd planned for.

O2Fsh
in a marsh nowhere near your spot

O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 am

I dunno what bad shooting your talking bout! I hit every piece of a air I shot at! The other two birds were banded in 2012 and 2013. Both banded in the same spot 364 days apart. It was a great way to spend my last hunt of the year. Thanks again tool!
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby golferboy426 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:25 am

The Tool is a duck hunting hero. Any anti Tool folk here don't deserve to see a marsh
golferboy426
hunter

Postby hardcoreducks » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 pm

awesome
hardcoreducks
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:59 pm

You got to that spot EARLY... didn't you.
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Very nice hunt, congrats :thumbsup:
We got our OS limit in less than an hour, was a great day until I found a uncharted rock :mad:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Major Woods wrote:Very nice hunt, congrats :thumbsup:
We got our OS limit in less than an hour, was a great day until I found a uncharted rock :mad:

Were you hunting with the layout? Someone left some nice OS dekes out there. I assume they ran in to the ramp and would be back.

We had a decent day, although lost some GEs that went down hard, but decided to spring back to life once the dog was on them.

No, I didn't shoot the hen Tool. :hi:

And I'm sure now you can't tell where we hunted, right?? :lol3:
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Bonasaman wrote:

Were you hunting with the layout? Someone left some nice OS dekes out there. I assume they ran in to the ramp and would be back.

We had a decent day, although lost some GEs that went down hard, but decided to spring back to life once the dog was on them.

were you the rig we flashed off in the dark, heading the corner of the island ....there were tons of eyes and squaws flying huh?

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:37 pm

that looks like it may be the boat that was north of us by that spot i was talking about.
captmike69
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Yep on both accounts.
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:18 pm

we headed out early, wanted to beat the tide a little and we made a big set.
captmike69
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:03 am

Yeah, we were going to hunt your spot. Thought the wind was going to veer south like NOAA-clue said, and you would have had a nice lee there. Ended up having a nice lee where we went and eyes wanted to be there bad, so it worked out. Looks like it worked out for you guys too!
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Bonasaman wrote:

No layout this time for us, we were close to Goose Island hunting close to some guys in a white skiff.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Major Woods wrote:
Bonasaman wrote:

No layout this time for us, we were close to Goose Island hunting close to some guys in a white skiff.

funny I thought about you, last wed, when I motored over towards your spot from one of the middle islands, and I saw a monster pod of oldsquaw right in the pocket of goose....hadn't ever seen them that thick and so close to the shore there.....I was thinking ..'that's were the major needs to be Saturday"!! ha ha ha.... did you hunt on the south or north side of goose?

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Bonasaman wrote:

Bonasaman:, someone on your crew needs to learn how to take pictures! :hammer: :hammer:

I can just see a drake old squaw tail and it looks like another hen GE behind the one with its head over the gunnel..plus there is a bird all the way down on the end...looks like it might be another hen GE... the brant didn't want into our spot at all... you shot yours going by?

the rock was dead on Monday!!! even though 300 bills sat 400 yards away for hours :huh: :huh:

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Bonasaman:, someone on your crew needs to learn how to take pictures! :hammer: :hammer:

I can just see a drake old squaw tail and it looks like another hen GE behind the one with its head over the gunnel..plus there is a bird all the way down on the end...looks like it might be another hen GE... the brant didn't want into our spot at all... you shot yours going by?

the rock was dead on Monday!!! even though 300 bills sat 400 yards away for hours :huh: :huh:

the tool

I like to hunt, not take pictures. :biggrin:

No OS. We had a few buzz by but not really in range and we had our hands full with the GE. We had three brant come in at first light to the GE dekes (go figure,), and I dropped one. Then another flock of about 4 came in to the geese dekes. I had to jump up and run to be able to shoot my other bird. The other three still wanted to come back around to the decoys. There's a hen buffy in the bag and a suicide merg. Had one broadbill sneak into the GE dekes that I jumped and shot. Then a HUGE flock went by us to the north of our spot. One bird peeled off and flew in front of us. I held off and told Jim to take it (he missed), but then looked up and didn't realize a big group had peeled off with the single. Hit one of those hard (holes in the bill) at close range. Too bad about yesterday. Lot of guys out there? There was a big raft of bills to the NE of us, which is where I thought that flock was headed when we had the single/flock peel off.
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:35 pm

P.S. You taught Grasshopper well, Master Tool.
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:48 pm

i take fly from hand with chopstick! lol.
captmike69
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Bonasaman wrote:P.S. You taught Grasshopper well, Master Tool.

grasshopper................Locust...

lets not split hairs! ha ha ha

I am so funny sometimes

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby bluegoose18 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:54 pm

I have a question for you guys. I'm from MN and my brother in law just took a job at the collage out there. Anyway plans are to be out there over thanksgiving 2014. Question is. Is there do you can you SEA DUCK hunt in your state? Been a life long dream to give that a try. Thanks in advance
bluegoose18
hunter

Next

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting