Duck Hunting Forum banner

How many diver/oldsquaw decoys?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Major Woods 
#1 ·
I've only hunted buffleheads and oldsquaw a couple of times with a friend, and I really enjoyed it. Now that I'd like to start at it myself, I'm wondering what an appropriate number of decoys would be for, say, the Thimbles. I think my friend put out 2-3 dozen bluebills; it wasn't a big spread, as I recall, and not reflective of what we shot (all butterballs, a few oldsquaws). It didn't seem to matter. Then again, that was Jersey :rolleyes:
Thanks! -Crip

#2 ·
This is kind of a lame answer - as I only have 1 season under my belt for seaducks...but I put out everything I got. Which is....if I remember correctly -
2 doz Bluebills
1 doz Buffies
6 goldeneye
6 Eiders.

Its really getting out as much as you want to handle....if you go to small - you might have trouble with ducks seeing you......if you go to large.....you spend a whole lot of time riggin.

Sorry for the lame answer...Im sure Major will be able to assist......

#3 ·
I started off with 2 doz buffies years ago and did fine. Oldsquaw come into buff decoys with no hesitation.

For hunting the CT coastline I suggest 2 doz squaws, 2 doz buffies and 1 dozen scoter. Keep the scoter in a seperate group off to the side of the mixed buff & squaws. I place my old squaw spinner where I want the birds to land.
9 times ouy of 10 the birds land within 8 ' of the spinner, surprised that it has not been blown to shreads yet :eek:

The scoter seem to shy away from the main diver group and like to land in their own kind. Quite often the were shooting out both sides of the boat, scoter on one side OS & Buffs on the other.
Hope this helps some, good luck this season :thumbsup:

#4 ·
i appreciate the help, fellas.

i have a deadly love of cork and wood blocks, and would love to get some buffleheads to hunt with. 2 dozen is actually feasible (in cork). more than that is pretty expensive, so i'm glad to know that i can now bankrupt myself AND shoot some birds!

all best--crip

#5 ·
So, MAJOR, here I am near the coast (in Preston) with a perfectly good TDB 17' SeaClass, and I've never seaduck hunted.

I read your advice about how many dekes, but, being completely inexperienced, could you give me a quick primer on how they're rigged?

Any advice is appreciated.

#6 ·
Hi hunterjond

I'm right next to you in Griswold.
I'll PM my home phone number to you. Call me sometime, and we can make arrangements for you to come over and take a look at some long lines and other diver gear, BS some and even have a beer or two if interested :yes: .

MW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.