another diver question

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

another diver question

Postby tapera » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:12 pm

major woods, et al:

since you've been so helpful, here's another question.

how do you get the "hook" in the "j-hook" part of the spread if you're using longlines? i mean, let's say you're planning to anchor your boat at the bend in the hook, and then have a couple longlines going downwind so that, hopefully, the birds will want to follow the lines into the opening in front of the boat. a friend of mine does off of jesey with great success on buffies and broadbills.

the downwind longlines are obviously easy to set. but the U at the bottom of the J-hook has to be going in the opposite direction of the wind. if you anchored a longline on either end so that it was at an angle to the wind, wouldn't it just bow downwind, and look wrong?

how to solve this problem?

don't use a j-hook, i guess, is how to solve it! but there must be another way that is undoubtedly very easy and will embarass me when you solve the mystery! cheers--tapera
tapera
hunter

use singles

Postby brampus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:37 pm

Tapera,

Just have few singles riged up that you can finish off the j with. Put out your long lines first, then drop out your singles.

Brampus
brampus
hunter

Postby tapera » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:06 pm

surprised i can feed myself without help when i couldn't think of that...thanks, brampus

-t
tapera
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:15 pm

As I hunt open tidal areas the single decoys swinging in the tide and wind do not always move same as my long lines and I get tangles. For that reason I don't use a "J" hook in my decoy spread.
Plus the spinner is the landing zone and can be placed anywhere I want the birds to land.

I have not had any drop in decoying birds since using just longlines. I do vary decoy spacing on the longlines from 20" to 50" which breaks up the overall pattern of the birds so the spread does not look so uniform.
The smaller divers like old squaws and buffies I space 20" apart to mimic what I see in actual diver flocks on the water (tight groups). The larger birds like eider, scoter and GE's I space further apart.

If using a small diver spread (2 longlines with 6 singles) I can see that the "J" hook would help and also make the spread appear larger than it really is.

Well that's my 2 cents for what it's worth, good luck and let us know what set up worked for you.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby tapera » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:10 pm

thanks, MW. i'll let you know what i find.

by the way, major, do you hunt puddlers along the river or in the salt marshes at all? just curious. you seem to enjoy many a day afield!! very admirable.

-mr. upper
tapera
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:31 am

I hunt puddlers in the early season, when the divers arrive I target them exclusively.
The puddlers will buzz the diver spread every once in a while and we do take a few, this happens mostly in the rivers.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting