shot gun shells

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

shot gun shells

Postby bigkat3533 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:07 am

Is using 3 1/2 shot worth the extra few dollars also has anyone tried the new black cloud shot. I bought some # 2 3inch and shot at some geese that were around 30 to 40 yards out and nothing droped.
bigkat3533
hunter

Postby WillHuntForFood » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:42 pm

BlackCloud shoots totally different than standard steel. Have you patterned your shotgun with the black cloud? I bet it will be totally different than what ever steel you have been shooting. I found this out when I tried BlackCloud for the first time at the range. Ended up having to change chock tubes and then all was fine.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:18 am

IMO 3.5" is not at all necessary.....in fact, I pretty much only use 2.75" whether seaducking, goose or brant........although in the 20g I use 3" steel when not using Hevi in 2.75............so I guess my answer to your first question is, no.

As for the Black Cloud......I wouldn't bother....I look at it as a gimmic and it will not catch on (although other shortlived gimmics such as Rem. duplex loads worked very well for me in 2/6 offering).......in the meantime, I cannot agree more with the testing suggested......I would assume a more open choke (IC or skeet) may be better.....also, consider the lead associated with the velocity of the blackcloud when compared to your 'regular' load....you may have been behind if slower or even ahead if they are faster
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CTRIVERDUCKHUNTER » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:37 pm

I don't think the difference between 3' and 3 1/2" shells is worth the extra money. I know killing ducks is fun, but I think the whole sport of it is just so much better. Why blow the bird to kingdome come when you can cleanly kill and still have some cash in your wallet? I had a buddy that used to shoot a 10 ga 3 1/2" Mag while we shot our 12 gauges. It almost wasn't cool to see him blow those birds apart. Don't get me wrong, shooting ducks is tough, but with a 3" it is a bit tougher.
CTRIVERDUCKHUNTER
hunter

Postby bigkat3533 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:23 am

thanks everyone for the sugestions so what kind of shot do you all use I would really rather not spend a fortune
bigkat3533
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting