Duck Hunting Forum banner

1st outing with the dog

798 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  sleddermxz 
#1 ·
Made it out this afternoon with my 10 month old lab. After he tried to retrieve the decoys he settled in. I saw more ducks today than I have ever seen waterfowling(nothing ever came in range to shoot). Ranged from mallards to blacks, woodys. Watched a bunch of mallards off in the distance get divebombed by a hawk. Had to cut it short due to working tonight. Great to be out after a long off season. Can't wait for the weekend.

#4 ·
Lots of work. He was 5 months old when I got him. Have to work with him every day. I am happy that he settled down in the blind. I was a little worried that he would get antsy. Wish some ducks would of come in closer to get a shot. Would have liked to get the first actual retrieve under my belt.

#5 ·
Good job working with him, I hope it pays off well. I miss a ton of ducks while I'm retrieving because I am not in a position to shoot. They are still flying because I just shot. If I wait to shoot some more I may loose the ones I shot.

I don't know if a dog would help or not. Would you shoot at ducks in the air if your dog was retrieving or do you have to wait until he comes back in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.