Duck Hunting Forum banner

Great Last Day of Early Season

874 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Major Woods 
#1 ·
Had a great day of hunting up here in Litchfield county. Morning hunt scored 3 mallards and 3 woodies between the 3 of us. Got my first double dropping 2 mallard drakes coming into the dekes. Afternoon flight scored another 1/2 dozen ducks. Lots of blacks and woodies in the air this afternoon. Did see a pair of teal. Can't wait for the late season opener. Why deer hunt when you can have this much fun shooting ducks?

#4 ·
I hear you. I love waterfowl hunting because of the amount of times I get to shoot my gun. Figure 3 shots at some ducks and then 1 or 2 kill shots would be 5 shots. Do that 5 or 6 times to get your limit and thats 30 rounds. Then add in the few misses at quick flyers and you could shoot 40 rounds.

How many deer hunters shoot 40 rounds in one day?

I've hunted Bufflehead with 2 friends. As you know they are low and fast flying. They will come in flock after flock and we would shoot and drop some. The ducks would actually circle around again and we would get two or three tries at the same flock before we went and retrieved the birds we shot. You go crazy trying to reload as fast as you can because the birds are still flying around. Its like a war zone. It is so exciting is actually funny. We are usually laughing our asses off afterwards, pumped with adrenanline. Then you look on the ground and there are shot shells all over the place and dead birds in the water.

I want to go deer hunting soon but not yet. this is too fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.