Getting Started Sea Duckin

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Getting Started Sea Duckin

Postby sleddermxz » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:26 pm

Gonna try some sea duck hunting this year. I have access to decoys, etc... How critical is it to camo out the boat? I have a 21' C/C (white) with a 150hp outboard which I use in the sound all summer. I thought I could rig some curtains around the sides of the boat to cut down the profiles of hunters. Should I have the curtains drape over the sides down to the waterline or abandon this idea all together being that the decks are white too?
I would be using the big boat as a shooting platform and have a smaller boat to retrieve. Any thoughts?
sleddermxz
account suspended for advertising/promo

Postby Major Woods » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:05 pm

There are a bunch of ways you could go with your suituation. I have shot seaducks out of my white fishing boat before but they knew we were there and the kill count did suffer.

I know of a guy with a 20' boat (shiney aluminum with no paint) that used to hang canvas over the sides and window glass to semi-camo the boat. He claims that it worked pretty good and saved him from camo painting his nice new fishing boat.

Seaducks will not be able to see the boats white deck as they (mostely) skim the water a foot or two above the waves.

What is the smaller boat you want to use for the retrieve?
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby sleddermxz » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:49 pm

14' aluminum v-hull due to br camoed out. Will tow out with bigger boat.
sleddermxz

Postby capt. ken » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:17 pm

sleddermxz wrote:14' aluminum v-hull due to br camoed out. Will tow out with bigger boat.

Why bother with the smaller boat and towing? You could just as easyly rig a spare ancor with a quick release float (lobster pot bouy or 2) or just do it with your main rig. When you need to retrieve birds you just drop the bouy and motor out, then return and grab the bouy and clip and hook it up again. I used to do this all the time down in Fl. for tarpon fishing where a quick getaway was essential. P.m. me w/ any questions on how to rig it
shoot em, shoot em in the head
capt. ken
hunter

Postby sleddermxz » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:47 pm

Gotta make my nephew earn his keep. He's gonna play retriever(whether he likes it or not :yes:
sleddermxz

Postby Major Woods » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:42 am

capt. ken wrote:
sleddermxz wrote:14' aluminum v-hull due to br camoed out. Will tow out with bigger boat.

You could just as easyly rig a spare ancor with a quick release float (lobster pot bouy or 2) or just do it with your main rig. When you need to retrieve birds you just drop the bouy and motor out, then return and grab the bouy and clip and hook it up again. I used to do this all the time down in Fl. for tarpon fishing where a quick getaway was essential. P.m. me w/ any questions on how to rig it

We do the same, never pull the anchor until were done hunting. Also helps with knowing your boat is going to be back at the exact same shooting point after the duck retrieve.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Major Woods
hunter

LIKE THE WATER

Postby marsh master » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:24 am

paint it like the water or if you want the jetty action paint it like a rock. That's what a friend of mine is doing on a slightly smaller boat. And if you don't want to paint it break the odd shapes of the bow and motor with some blind material dark brown green mix and don't let it lay in the water. If you want your boat painted I can help you with that with good paint expirence. We'll be using layout boats and k-9's for recrieving.
marsh master
hunter

Postby sleddermxz » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:31 am

I was thinking about building a layout boat over the winter. Might be a fun project.
I think camo curtains will be the way to go for my boat. I'm going to build some sort of frame that will attach to the rails around the boat using pvc pipe and attach camo burlap. Thanks for all of your help.
Suggestions on where to go? I usually launch anywhere east of the river.
sleddermxz

Postby Major Woods » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:30 pm

I built 2 at home and it was fun and a lot cheaper than buying them.

IMHO, West of the river is much better seaduck hunting.
Guilford, Clinton, Norwalk are good areas to find birds.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Woodsman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:52 pm

I'm thinking of making a pull up blind system for my 14' V hull now. Post some pics of yours if you can. I'm looking for tubular aluminum. I was thinking of mimickng what I saw at cabelas.

I might try some sea ducks tomorrow, depending on the weather. I don't have any sea duck decoys so I might just throw out some mallards. I mainly just feel like hunting and taking the boat out.

BTW, Cabelas had a pretty good variety of blind making material. Some long rolls like 30 ft by 56 inches.
Woodsman
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting