Help for a new duck hunter

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Help for a new duck hunter

Postby TFB577 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:03 pm

I have decided to give duck hunting a try this year, so I am going to hunt the late season. I live in northern CT and I am planning on checking out some of the areas listed in the DEP guide (Tunxis, Peoples, Nod Brook ect) I was wondering if anyone would like to give me some good starting locations and/or advice? I am not looking for anyones secret spots.....just looking for some help to get started. Thanks
TFB577
Newb

Postby MrCamoClad » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Hmmm - sorry I have never hunted that location and dont know anything about it.

Your best bet would be to do some scouting of the areas you want to try. Look for some swampy areas - before they all freeze and give them a shot. It we get a good freeze here and all swamps freeze over - look for some open water that might be ducky. I have had some luck in the past - just walking down a moving river/stream and jump shooting before I got a boat.

Good luck - let us know how you do !!! :thumbsup:
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:39 am

Nod Brook is primarily dog training/pheasant.....no water there except the Farmington River......People's is a great place for partridge, deer and small game, but again, it's the Farmington primarily so waterfowling at best minimal.......In general, most of the state forests are just that, forests....I would suggest looking more towards WMAreas or pulling out topo maps (I like MapTech).....I believe the State publishes a book of topos for the entire state.......I have one, but it's about 20 years old and was blac-n-white.....found it to be very good for all kinds of outdoors stuff....check with the DEP on it.....find those watery and marshy areas and look for access
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WillHuntForFood » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Try looking for beaver ponds, and swamp areas along the rivers in your area.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Welcome abord!!

Postby marsh master » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:36 am

Good to see a new Duck hunter, Scouting is key try to ID Birds as best as you can. A topo map is a very good idea, I may be in peoples this year. As a new hunter follow the freezes and weather fronts. Try to shoot the drakes if thier is a choise, I'm also in the northzone. Give me a shout if you want more info and good luck.
marsh master
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting