New to CT - Wilton

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

New to CT - Wilton

Postby PKY1520 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi all,

I just moved to Wilton and am looking forward to hunting some new areas and gaining some local knowledge. I'm from Maryland, but most recently lived in Colorado. I'm not expecting anyone to give up their honey hole, but I'd love any advice on some decent spots to take a look at this coming season. The CT DEEP site is actually one of the more helpful ones in terms of showing public land, but local tips are always best.

Unfortunately it looks like most of the public waterfowl spots are on the sound and require a boat. Does anyone know of any ponds, lakes or rivers that are legal to hunt? I've got a great retriever and will be buying a kayak shortly, but don't have the space for a boat right now.

I also do a lot of fishing as well as deer/whatever-is-in-season hunting so really just looking to connect to the community in this area. I'm glad to be here and look forward to getting after some fowl this year!

-Ryan
PKY1520
hunter

Re: New to CT - Wilton

Postby retired1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Welcome Ryan - I'm no where near Wilton and don't know that area. As you said the Deep website is pretty good at showing
areas to hunt. Most rivers in the state are legal to hunt as long as you are in the river - i.e. boat - and are 500 ft away from any
dwelling - 250 ft in tidal areas.

I'd like to help more but as I said I'm unfamiliar with your area.

Patrick
retired1
hunter

Postby PKY1520 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the tips Patrick!
PKY1520
hunter

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:43 am

Welcome aboard. Not familiar with Wilton area either, but use the DEEP site to find public lands and look for the waterholes out there. Look for public shore access as well. http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/. Good luck!
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting