Duck Hunting Forum banner

Farmington River

5K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  AllBusiness 
#1 ·
Does any one know if hunting on the Farmington river is permitted?

I live close by and I was wondering if I could set up there one morning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-Drew

#3 ·
Well, when you say "suitable distances" do you mean the 500' (250' waterfowl) distance rule?

As in we are not allowed to carry or discharge a loaded gun within that amount of feet from a building that occupies animals/humans?

Or do you mean use my common sense and go somewhere that the bb's won't travel through the woods and hit someone's house?

I figured as much if that is what you are refering to. I looked for a while online to see if it was permisable and I could not find anything. I know that people fish there and bring boats up and down it. There are no " no tresspassing or no hunting" signs anywhere that I have seen. I really just don't want to come across a D.E.P. Officer and have problems.

I guess I will have to just take the chance and give it a whirl.

There are many tobacco fields in my area that were already harvested for the season so there are little to no workers on the properties and they all outline the river banks. There are few houses but I did the math for distance on the computer last night and the houses are at least 1000'-1500' from the river banks so I would not hunt there anyways.

Thanks for the input please feel free to drop a line or elaborate.

#4 ·
Is this the same Farmington River that runs from Colebrook to Windsor?

Well, if it's the same one, there are some places where you can hunt, and some places where you can't. Some places it's 500ft, some places it's 250ft. Some places you can get out of your boat, some places you have to hunt from your boat. Just depends on where you are I guess. :party:

No offense New2, but generally speaking, whether it's this website or others, no duck hunter is going to confirm or deny whether a spot is huntable, or not huntable, or if it's good or bad hunting. There are no "secret spots" on public access lands, only spots that a few guys know about and spots where lots of guys know about.

Best way to learn the game and not p*$$ off other hunters is to get involved with a DU chapter or CWA (CT Waterfowlers Association) and get to know some guys and I'm sure you'll get some invites.

Go to the DU party mentioned in the 40 dozen thread.

Jim

#7 ·
I hunt the the farmington all the time. Mostly in windsor where it meets the ct. We do well woodducks and greenheads
Translation: The hunting really sucks there, but I'm going to tell you that it's good so that 20 people lurking around the website go there on opening day while I'm at the real good place to go

:huh: It puzzles me as to why people divulge their spots online. I recall an instance a few years back on another local website which is now paid subscription where somebody announced one weekend that they pounded the ducks at a particular location, then complained when the guys were piled on top of one another there the following week and the gunning sucked. Remember that one Major Woods? Tempers were pretty hot. I just don't get it. :huh: Yeah, there are lots of areas that see lots of pressure, the Q, Norwalk, Nells, but they are large and can handle a lot of guys. Most spots in CT can handle just a couple of hunting parties at one time, some just one group. Am I the only one who notices that a lot of threads have 6 or 8 replies but 90 people have read it?

Jim

#9 ·
"oh my stars- some one mentioned the farmington river.....no one knows about that one!!!"

look there is truth to what Jim says- but in my opion- just shut up about where you shot birds on a particular day- ie- if you want to go back to a place you shot birds at on monday- don't say anything about where you shot them monday night- just be vague and make the other guys do a little work.

But come on! the kids asking if he can hunt a river and you gotta break balls!!- yes you can hunt it- yes sometimes its good and sometimes it sucks- so get out there and see for yourself.

This ultra competetive crap has to have a limit- asking whether you can hunt an area should not be a tough question to answer.

#10 ·
everyone just stop bitching and be helpful, everyone is new at one point or another. new2, id suggest sending PMs instead of broadly posting for help. People are much more inclined to help one on one rather than in the public eye, especially when 90 people look at a topic.

#11 ·
Which is why Drew also got a PM from me.

10 replies to this post, half from me, but read 110 times. I wonder how many calls were made to buddies last night "Hey, I hear they do good on mallards and woodies at the lower Farmington, we should check it out" :hammer:

#15 ·
'nuff said gang........I think we all agree (and we have been down this road before) that it's one thing to ask for help, just expect to reply if you are willing to help via pm or e-mail.

"new2" is not all that new this year anyhow, so he posted opennly and I am sure expected replies directly and off-line.

Thanks!!!

D-

#16 ·
JimG said:
I hunt the the farmington all the time. Mostly in windsor where it meets the ct. We do well woodducks and greenheads
:huh: It puzzles me as to why people divulge their spots online. I recall an instance a few years back on another local website which is now paid subscription where somebody announced one weekend that they pounded the ducks at a particular location, then complained when the guys were piled on top of one another there the following week and the gunning sucked. Remember that one Major Woods?
Jim
Can't say i do.

#17 ·
Ok I see its not well liked that I gave one of my spots out ! So let me say this about that. Some of you out there make me sick with the things you say and the way you say them. And the more an more I meet waterfowl hunters in this state with there noses in the air and enlarged heads the more our sport is doomed. This is the last time I will use or visit the chat

#18 ·
one of my spots
This is the point exactly. It isn't your spot to give out to the public at large. It is everybodies spot to seek out, scout, and find, which takes effort. Remove the effort to find the spot and you create more pressure on the spot, which doesn't help you or the other regulars who hunt that spot. Every public spot has two types of hunters, regulars and transients. We ALL fill both roles at one time or another. When you publicize the spot, the percentage of transients becomes disproportionately high. On a smaller spot you can end up with more hunting parties than spots for them to all set up in and now you've got guys running their boats around trying to squeeze in, just as legal time is fast approaching. It helps no one to have a fun morning and successful hunt. This is the description of this very location. I know because I've hunted it on occasion, so essentially you advertised MY spot all over the internet with out MY permission. OUR spot. How do people not understand this? My head is neither enlarged nor is my nose held high.

I've bloviated enough on this I think.

#21 ·
Holy s#$*, an arguement that didn't include myself or hens, wow, you guys do have a pulse. Anyway, I agree with Jim, general knowledge, acceptable. Specific details, figure it out for yourself.!! :thumbsup:

#25 ·
Be very careful with the 250' and 500' distance rule. Remember 250' from houses, livestock, and any building holding a hazardous material is only for waterfowlers in a tidal zone. When I called the DEP last year specifically about this there were very careful on determining tidal zones.

#26 ·
Justhunt said:
Ok I see its not well liked that I gave one of my spots out ! So let me say this about that. Some of you out there make me sick with the things you say and the way you say them. And the more an more I meet waterfowl hunters in this state with there noses in the air and enlarged heads the more our sport is doomed. This is the last time I will use or visit the chat
News flash...This is duck hunters! We work WAY too had for the few honey holes we have to let some johnny come lately blow a spot that can only be hunted twice per year. If it gets posted on the web odds are it will get hunted twice per day. Look at some of the quality areas that have been RUINED by people hunting them every single day. You want an education of how hard it can be, move to another state! CT is EASY! Once you get in and prove yourself most of these guys will trust you. Some with their wives, even fewer with their duck spots. We have all been burned so we are not about to let it happen again. Sorry my turn on the soap box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.