Duck Hunting Forum banner

Petition to open hunting on Sundays in CT

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Hens Only 
#1 ·
Hi Guys I am newer here to this site and I am sick that I can not hunt on Sundays here in CT.
I am starting a petition to start the process of getting this law changed!
I have extra copies of this and the sign up sheet I would like to ask this passionate group to put these in your clubs and gun shops ect to help get as many signature as we can over the next few months.
Please e mail me at sojkajohn@sbc global.net for the info to be sent to you.
Again thanks for your help!

#4 ·
Here is what the Sunday hunting proponents fail to take into account in regards to waterfowl hunting: Our season this year is 60 days. This does not include Sundays. Put Sundays in there and we essentially lose two weeks off of the calendar. So for example, if we apply Sunday hunting to this year's North Zone season, leaving the start dates the same, the hunting season would end on January 1. We pick up more huntable days without taking vacation time because of it, family obligations permitting, but the season becomes shorter than what we are accustomed to on the calendar.

#5 ·
Jim, thanks for your comments.
I do understand the lenght issue so I would purpose we close the season on another day of the week.
Lets face it to get time in todays world is not easy for anyone. The other thing about Sunday's is I do believe that it will help kids to get involved in the sport of hunting. If you go to NH or VT you shoud see the kids doing this but In my town and surrounding town fewer kids get involved because they are busy too on Saturdays especially!
You comments are well received and I will include this for te length of the season issue. Are you sure all states only get 60 days??? or is this just a CT thing?
Thanks
John AKA Camoman

#6 ·
60 days is definately a fed thing flyway wide. I'm with Jim on this one. Put sundays in and we loose time. Besides, most dedicated guys make the time anyway. As far as the kids thing goes, again, you got to make the time, Sat. holidays etc. I just don't think sunday hunting is the answer. Now, if you were to allow sunday hunting for everything else but waterfowl I'm in!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Just my 2$!

#7 ·
JimG said:
Here is what the Sunday hunting proponents fail to take into account in regards to waterfowl hunting: Our season this year is 60 days. This does not include Sundays. Put Sundays in there and we essentially lose two weeks off of the calendar. So for example, if we apply Sunday hunting to this year's North Zone season, leaving the start dates the same, the hunting season would end on January 1. We pick up more huntable days without taking vacation time because of it, family obligations permitting, but the season becomes shorter than what we are accustomed to on the calendar.
I'm with JimG on this one as well - couldnt do Sat and Sunday hunts on the same weekend anyway......I like the option for the longer season and saving a few Vaca days for the occasional weekday hunt.

#8 ·
I hunt both days only because I hold licenses in multiple states....that said, to do that I need to do alot more 'stuff' on the weekday evenings which is one reason why it's hard to do early in the season.....that said, I sure do appreciate the 'extended' Maine season, especially for seaducks going to the end of January.....if we didn't hold off on Sundays, I would end my season like NH does in the early part of January losing some outstanding gunning.

Good luck with your venture....it has been tried almost every year since I can remember......and I started hunting in the early 70's......with the populous of CT, you are pretty much stonewalled, especially these days.

Maybe getting a RI license will get you good gunning on Sundays! I did that for years when a CT resident.....or NH is only 2 hours from Granby.

#9 ·
Okay guys I get the length is a problem for waterfowl!
What if the season closed for a week in the middle or opened up a week later?
Or even switch to no Mondays for the waterfowl season.

I too also hunt Pheasants and would like the Sundays open for that as well.
I do have a VT license but the crack of dawn with a 2 hour ride can be tough!
I may consider RI, I will check out there page here!

Thanks for the comments on the length of season
John AKA Camoman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.