Duck Hunting Forum banner

Southern transplant dying for some ducks!

914 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Hens Only 
#1 ·
Just moved to CT two weeks ago from South Florida, where I spent mopst of my winter leisure time shooting ringers and Florida mallards out in the Everglades. I have a great lab, that is looking at me with a spitefull face, b/c he has yet to retreive any ducks this year.

I have a couple dozen ringer decoys (not sure if I should scrap them or not), a very capable retriever, I've got a case of steel shot, I can clean ducks with the best of em, and I'm happy to provide any food/drinks to anyone who could offer me a spot to tag along on a hunt, heck I'd leave my gun at home if I could get some work for the dog.

If anyone feels like helping a newbie to the area, I would be much obliged.

Thanks fellas...good luck this weekend, be safe.

jhthomp1@gmail.com

#3 ·
Buy a license yet?

What part of the state?

Got black duck decoys?

Got mallard decoys?

Pheasants open tomorrow too, just wear shooting glasses, wear lots of orange, and put a bell on the dog. A LOUD bell. :gatgun: I bumped into a DEP worker in a WMA parking lot during lunch and he was putting such a good number of birds out that I might go there after my duck hunt, cause they aint gonna kill them all. Gotta buy tags though.

Jim

#5 ·
JimG said:
Buy a license yet?
What part of the state?
Got black duck decoys?
Got mallard decoys?
Pheasants open tomorrow too, just wear shooting glasses, wear lots of orange, and put a bell on the dog. A LOUD bell. :gatgun: I bumped into a DEP worker in a WMA parking lot during lunch and he was putting such a good number of birds out that I might go there after my duck hunt, cause they aint gonna kill them all. Gotta buy tags though.
Jim
I am trying to figure out if I got everything I need on the licensing front, Gun license, fed stamp, state stamp, HIP. Is that all I need?

I only have ringer decoys, and thanks for the heads up on the pheasants, but I kinda perfer the swamp.

#10 ·
I'm also a southern transplant. I moved here from Georgia in July and have tried to spend my free time scouting. My only problem is I have had to limit my locations because I don't have a dog so most of the areas I scouted, I can't hunt unless I feel like swimming. I'm learning everytime I go out so if you want to team up and figure this state out, I'm all for it. My only problem is I can only hunt weekends, which means I can only hunt Sat up here and scout on Sundays.

There is a DU banquet in Norwalk on this Thursday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.