2017-2018 CT Waterfowl info

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderator: DUKHTR

2017-2018 CT Waterfowl info

Postby tvbrewster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi CT migratory bird hunter,

Attached you will find the proposed 2017-18 hunting season frameworks for migratory game birds in CT. The season selections need to be provided to the USFWS by the middle of April. Thus, our annual regulations meeting will March 31, 2017 at our Marine Headquarters in Old Lyme. Obviously, as always, we will take comments via email and phone too.

One issue I will touch on is that of Sunday hunting. Any Sunday hunting bill that allows hunting of migratory game birds takes away our compensatory days. I mention this because the current bill is for Sunday hunting on private land only. This type of regulation will negatively affect every single hunter that hunts on public land (coast, rivers, WMA's, SF's, etc). We will effectively lose 9-10 days of waterfowl hunting. Sunday hunting bills must include all lands in the state, or exclude migratory game birds or else most of us lose opportunity.

We will also be closing, by regulation, three more areas to hunting this year. This is because we continue to have people hunting in areas that are just too tight due to downrange shooting distances and narrow shooting angles. Just because birds are there doesn't mean you can nor should hunt there. As this behavior continues we continue to unnecessarily alienate ourselves from the rest of the citizens of our state.

There are some issues that are facing us, some that we have been talking about for some time, others that are new:

1. Mallard populations in Eastern North America, the birds that we set our general duck season on, continue to decline. Since the advent of 60 day duck seasons in 1996 we have seen a 29% decline in mallards in the Northeast Plot Survey area (Virginia to New Hampshire) and a 19% decline in the entirety of the eastern part of the Continent. This is troubling as most other species except for sea ducks are doing reasonably well, and as mallards continue to decline our hunting opportunity may decline. The first attempt at arresting the current population trend will more than likely be a bag limit reduction. Not this year, but likely soon.
2. There will be a change in the way you are able to report bands. The 1-800 call center is going to close in June 2017. This is a funding issue with the Federal Government. This is a big issue!! You will now only be able to report bands on the www.reportbands.gov<http://www.reportbands.gov/> website. They are developing an app for mobile devices. Please continue to report your bands!!!
3. We will be moving to a 2-bird bag on black ducks. This is the first regulation change in a liberal direction in over 30 years. There is new evidence that harvest mortality may be much more compensatory than we had previously estimated. There is a whole generation of hunters who have never seen this regulation.
4. We always hear comments about when the seasons open. Our surveys indicate that equal numbers of hunters prefer weekend to weekday openers. So we will try and compromise, by opening the early split on a Saturday and the late split during the week, on a Friday. Opening on a Friday allows us to go a couple more days later into January at least inland. If Wed is preferred, we can do that and move the ending date two days eariier.

The only comments we have received prior to sending out these preliminary seasons are to put more AP Goose days into November, taking them from January and at the same time, cover up more of the duck season in western CT with AP goose days.

The pamphlet should be out by July. The new regulatory cycle now allows us to get the pamphlet printed and distributed well in advance of the coming season.

Please have a fun and safe hunting season.

Min

Min T. Huang, Migratory Bird Program Leader CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
391 RT 32
N. Franklin CT 06254
860-418-5959 (p)
860-642-7964 (f)
tvbrewster
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: 2017-2018 CT Waterfowl info

Postby firepolock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 am

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58caba1239039/2017-18%20regs.doc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
firepolock
hunter

Postby thewingmaster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:35 am

What 3 more areas do you plan on closing? Its getting that the closed areas in CT waterfowl regs take up most of the brochure. How about some education of the public on hunting, most of these folks think we are using AR's to kill ducks. Merwin Point closure is a prime example of a great hunting spot now closed. It used to be a great broadbill offshore layout boat hunt 200 yds from shore but the noise was too much for friends of animals crowd. Keep closing the spots and soon you wont have any hunters left, to grab your funding from. How about passing some regs that if your town closes a spot the funding from the state goes down proportionately .
I am looking at some regs from 1987 and only TEN locations are listed. What are you going up to now 25 or so...........sad, sad, sad!
thewingmaster
hunter

Postby firepolock » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 am

thewingmaster wrote:What 3 more areas do you plan on closing? Its getting that the closed areas in CT waterfowl regs take up most of the brochure. How about some education of the public on hunting, most of these folks think we are using AR's to kill ducks. Merwin Point closure is a prime example of a great hunting spot now closed. It used to be a great broadbill offshore layout boat hunt 200 yds from shore but the noise was too much for friends of animals crowd. Keep closing the spots and soon you wont have any hunters left, to grab your funding from. How about passing some regs that if your town closes a spot the funding from the state goes down proportionately .
I am looking at some regs from 1987 and only TEN locations are listed. What are you going up to now 25 or so...........sad, sad, sad!

You expect a liberal state gov to educate people on hunting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
firepolock
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 pm

id love to hear more about the closed areas as well...the DEEP site has NOTHING on the new proposed seasons...or the new proposed changes.

I wonder if the state ONLY considers whos complaining when they close a spot or area. Seems that you can get ONE vocal person or family and they squawk so much or have influence some how on local officials that they get attentions. mean while there could be DOZENS of hunters enjoying that area..... their voice doesn't count????????????

exactly what information goes into the state deciding to CLOSE an area???? does historical information have any say?

an anti hunter could call every day they hear a gun shot to load up the police plotter....does that have influence???

I think if the state decides to close an area, they should by law open a similar sized area to hunting that previously had not been open....thus effectively creating a no loss of hunting habitat policy. In addition I think the state need to buy and open up more shoreline hunting areas....as wel as create more shoreline boat access.....

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby tvbrewster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:47 am

Open Waterfowl Seasons and Bag Limits
(Changes from 2016 are highlighted in bold)

(All Dates Inclusive - Except Sundays)
NORTH ZONE: The portion of the state north of Interstate 95; SOUTH ZONE: The portion of the state south of Interstate 95.
SHOOTING HOURS: One-half hour before sunrise to sunset, EXCEPT FOR THE SEPTEMBER GOOSE SEASON, WHEN SHOOTING HOURS END ½ HOUR PAST SUNSET.
DAILY POSSESSION
SPECIES SEASON NORTH ZONE SOUTH ZONE BAG LIMIT LIMIT
DUCKS, Early Oct. 14 - Oct. 21 Oct. 14 - Oct. 17 DUCKS 6A,B 18A,B
MERGANSERS, COOTS Late Nov. 10 - Jan. 10 Nov. 16 - Jan. 20 COOTS 15 45

SEA DUCKS (Scoter, Oldsquaw, Eider)C Nov. 13 - Jan. 20 5D 15D
CANADA GEESEE
September Early Season Sept 1 - Sept 30 Sept 15 - Sept 30 15 45

REGULAR AP UnitF Oct 14 – Oct 21 3 9
SEASONS Nov 18 - Jan 6

AFRP UnitG Oct 14 - Oct 21 Oct 14 - Oct 21 5 15 Nov 11 – Dec 2 Nov 11 – Dec 2
Dec 16 – Feb 15 Dec 15 – Feb 15

NAP H-UnitH Oct 14 - Oct 21 Oct 14 - Oct 21 3 9
Nov 11 - Jan 20 Nov 11 - Jan 20
Special Late Season Jan. 25 - Feb. 15I 5 15
SNOW GEESE (includes BLUE GEESE) Oct. 2 – Jan. 15 Oct. 2 – Dec. 2 25 J
Feb. 21 – Mar. 10 Jan. 9 – Mar. 10
BRANT Nov. 2 - Jan. 10 Nov. 13 - Jan. 20 2 6

A Includes all species of ducks, with the following restrictions: MALLARD: daily limit 4 and may include only 2 HENS. WOOD DUCK: daily limit 3. BLACK DUCK: daily limit 2. REDHEAD: daily limit 2. PINTAIL: daily limit 1. SCAUP: daily limit 2. CANVASBACK: daily limit 2. HOODED MERGANSER: daily limit 2. Possession limits are three times the daily bag limit. SEASON FOR HARLEQUIN DUCKS IS CLOSED.
B MERGANSERS ARE INCLUDED IN THE TOTAL DUCK BAG OF 6.
C In coastal waters and streams seaward of the first upstream bridge.
D Daily bag limit for sea ducks may include no more than 4 SCOTERS, 4 OLD SQUAW, 4 EIDER, 12 in possession.
E Daily bag limit includes white-fronted geese.
F AP Unit: Litchfield Co. and the portion of Hartford Co., west of a line beginning at the Massachusetts border in Suffield and extending south along Route 159 to its intersection with Route 91 in Hartford, and then extending south along Route 91 to its intersection with the Hartford/Middlesex Co. line.
G AFRP Unit: Starting at the intersection of I-95 and the waters of the Quinnipiac River excluding the east shore, north on the Quinnipiac River to its intersection with I-91, north on I-91 to I-691, west on I-691 to the Hartford County line, and encompassing the rest of New Haven County and Fairfield County in its entirety.
H NAP H-Unit: All of the rest of the State not included in the AP or AFRP descriptions above.
I That portion of the South Zone east of the Quinnipiac River.

J There is no possession limit for snow geese.

Woodcock Season
October 25, 2017 to November 18, 2017 and November 20, 2017 to December 9, 2017.
Daily bag limit 3
Possession limit 9

Rail and Snipe Season
September 1, 2017 to November 9, 2017

Sora and Virginia rails
Daily bag limit 25
Possession limit 75

Clapper and King rails
Daily bag limit 10, only 1 King Rail
Possession limit 30

Common snipe
October 25, 2017 to November 18, 2017 and November 20, 2017 to December 9, 2017.
Daily bag limit 8
Possession limit 24
tvbrewster
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:13 pm

can you post the PROPOSED NEW closed areas????????????????

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby thewingmaster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Yes areas that are to be closed................WE WANT TO KNOW!! ALSO IS THIS OPEN FOR DISCUSSION????????????
thewingmaster
hunter

Postby tvbrewster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Guys,

I don't know the proposed closed areas.

I'm just on an email distribution list that results in CT Waterfowl info in my in box. If you want to ask send an email to Min T. Huang, Migratory Bird Program Leader CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. I doubt it is open to discussion.

Min.Huang@ct.gov
tvbrewster
hunter

Postby thewingmaster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Well I asked on the new areas to be closed and here is what I was sent;

"We only shut down areas when one of two criteria are met. As you can imagine, we don't want to shut down areas, but when hunters act stupidly and with no regard to their fellow hunters, we are forced to close down areas. The areas that we are going to be looking to close down are parts of the West River in West Haven and in Guilford and part of Raymond Brook WMA. The criteria we use are:

"The Commissioner may amend regulations for a particular locality where he finds that: 1) The physical setting of a particular locality presents an unreasonable risk that hunters may violate the regulations regarding hunting in proximity to buildings occupied by persons or domestic animals or used for storage of flammable or combustible materials or the regulations regarding shooting towards persons, buildings or animals or; 2) A record of documented complaints reveals that violations of such regulations occur with significant frequency."

Hunt safely and smartly and we won't have to continue to justify hunting to the Legislature and we won't have to continue to close areas.

Min

Min T. Huang, Migratory Bird Program Leader
CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
391 RT 32
N. Franklin CT 06254
860-418-5959 (p)
860-642-7964 (f)
thewingmaster
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon May 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Guilfords a BIG town....just saying "Guildford" is useless.....what part of Guilford... some where along the sound shoreline? some part along the east river...??? is it near some rich donors house?? I am wondering just how many complaints and from who, cause the state to consider the closures
toolmaker
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon May 08, 2017 8:26 pm

are they trying to say the west river in Guilford and the west river in west haven.... they made it seem like it was the same river, or they didn't even give a place in Guilford..if it is the west river in Guilford, it looks likes there a LOT of open marshland along that river... and marshland is where we SHOULD be hunting.... you cant keep closing down the tidal marshlands for gods sake!!!!!!!! how about the state put a moratorium on building near marshlands!!!!!!!!
toolmaker
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting