Ducks This Weekend

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Ducks This Weekend

Postby BradleySt » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:15 pm

I'm new to Connecticut hunting and live in New Haven. Can anyone recommend some good public land to go hunting this weekend? I have a canoe and a dog that won't pay much attention to me. I read somewhere that the Wheeler Wildlife Management Area is supposed to be good. Are there ducks around yet? I haven't really heard any, but I haven't done much scouting.

Also -- does anyone know where to go for state-stocked pheasants? I can't figure out where the state does its stocking and when. I'd love to give that a go this weekend if there's no hope for the ducks.

Thanks!
BradleySt
Newb

Ducks Are Here

Postby jem » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:49 pm

Hi,

The ducks are definitely here. I went with my guide yesterday on private land. Our party got 10 geese, 1 mallard drake and 2 mallard hens.

Boy are those mallards fast. New 870 with 3 1/2" 12 gauge magnum dropped em pretty good.

I don't know anything about public lands though.

You probably want to get out there quick because the season is pretty short.
John Majkowski
jem
hunter

Postby on duck call » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:49 pm

Ducks are here and spread out with all the rain. Got 8 birds opening day with some friends. Black, pair of mallards 4 teal and a female wigeon. Bad shooting with the heavy rain falling on your face can throw your shooting off.
on duck call
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:19 am

All the state stocked pheasant areas - including permit required parcels - are in the law book. There are plenty of areas in the southern tier of the State.....youjust need a topo map and the book to get on the right roads.......scout and then you'll find them....just takes some effort and time........be aware though, the mass of idiots that chase the stocking trucks are REAL in Connecticut.......what I have witnessed is beyond belief!

btw....Wheeler is a pretty big area at the mouth of thew Housie....not really a safe paddle in a canoe! unless you launch on the northern edge....I think that may be Court Street (not sure). That is a large marsh with alot of creeks - all tidal - so know your tides and i would suggest always trying to paddle with the currents!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting