Ethics/Regs questions

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Ethics/Regs questions

Postby Auxillary » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:11 pm

deducker: Thanks for the heads up give that place a try.

Tuesday morning was perhaps the most enjoyable hunt I've ever been on. I didn't even shoot. This was supposed to be a learning process for me. Heck I've never seen a live wood duck up close and have surely never heard their call. I just started blowing on my call trying to match what I was hearing in the distance. I must have seen 20 or so wood ducks land by my decoys, but I was never fast enough to put down my call and raise up my gun before "SPLASH!" they'd hit the water. Not a very graceful creature I found, but boy are they beautiful. I probably could have gotten a quick limit of Drake Woodies in the first 45 minutes of legal shooting time (if I am a good enough shot at a still target about 15-20 yards away that is), but I always thought it was illegal and/or unethical to shoot a duck at rest according to federal regulations. Consequently, I just sat still and watched them swim off into the trees. Now maybe I don't know what the definition of at rest means. However, I also read that jump shooting was legal. Never heard of it, but it sounds like sneaking up on sitting ducks and shooting them or getting them to fly and then shooting them. I can't find anything in Delaware's guide book to inform me, and I sure as heck don't want to do anything wrong. Ethical/Legal or not, I want to mount my first Wood duck, and I'd like it to be flying in, it'd mean more to me that way. But this is one of my questions: What is everyone's policy/thoughts on shooting ducks that have already landed? Or am I just dumb?

My other question is: what is everyone's thoughts on shooting hens? I only counted four in the various flocks that landed, but didn't really care to shoot one. I do a lot of pheasant hunting and roosters are the only legal birds. Apples to oranges I know, but I'd still like to know people's thoughts.

Sorry for such a long post, I was just super excited about my first duck hunt in almost 20 years without daddy supervision.
Auxillary
hunter

Re: Ethics/Regs questions

Postby deducker » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:40 pm

i don't have a problem with shooting ducks on the water or shooting hens :thumbsup: it is what it is.
deducker
hunter

Postby stark1728 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Shooting birds on the water is not illegal, but it is generally considered unsporstmanlike. Shooting hens is not illegal but is frowned upon for conservation reasons. If birds pitch into your decoys, either get them up in the air by shouting at them (and then shoot them) or let them be to act as live decoys.
stark1728
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:48 am

I say water swat em. Hovering still in the air or sitting on water, they still came to your decoys. It's not illegal. If you want to go down the ethics road, more power to you, but I say swat 'em, especially if you're on the bay trying to get buffies to jump- most times they won't, they'll just swim in and swim away. Good luck!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting