wild rice

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

wild rice

Postby take'emDE » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 am

anybody ever planted any? i own a bunch of wetland in kent county where i think there should be a ton of ducks but ive just never had massive amounts of ducks in there. just wondering if wild rice would help get some ducks in there. any tips or suggestions will help. thanks!!
take'emDE
hunter

Re: wild rice

Postby mpollinger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Hey there,
There are several companies that sell seeds for waterfowl. Google marley, wildlifeseeds.com, or habitatnow.com and see what they have. I looked into this this past year for a small public pond and never got around to it for my dad and I to hunt. Let me know how you make out or if you need a hand planting, etc. Would love to give it a try and see how it works.

Thanks,
Mick
mpollinger
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am

take'emDE wrote:anybody ever planted any? i own a bunch of wetland in kent county where i think there should be a ton of ducks but ive just never had massive amounts of ducks in there. just wondering if wild rice would help get some ducks in there. any tips or suggestions will help. thanks!!

Short answer, yes. Check out: http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?f=69
It's a great resource and will answer post of your questions in previous posts. If you need more, post up or send me a PM. Happy to share what I've learned. Your too late for this fall but you can still get some Japanese Millet in for this season

Erich
Hauptmann-Team Sneak Attack

kal9wt wrote:Classic.  

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Shells: 310
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby GOARMY » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:03 pm

I had some planted and the ducks tore it up. I had mallards, blacks and widgeon on it hard. I would sit in my deer stand and watch
them strip the seed heads off the stalks. Its all gone now and the ducks have left.
GOARMY
hunter

wild rice

Postby Eschutz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 am

When did you seed?

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby GOARMY » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 pm

like the first week of july. Once it get just the smallest amount of water it shoots up. I would like a mix of corn and seed headed grasses. The mallards were so loud in it it would scare deer from the pond. Ducks love it. :lol:
GOARMY
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Yea, that's about a month or more too soon depending on when your season starts and typical 1st hard frost date.

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby GOARMY » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Here are some pics I took today while pulling decoys.
As for the food being gone the ducks still come back to the location looking around. I should have killed 3 ducks in the first hour
yesterday but i had misfires? I think the shells were old. I even had a diver almost take my head of while I was in the decoys.
Its a lot of fun to see them use it.

This a a pic of whats left after the ducks ripped it up. The stuff floating on top is the stems broke off by the ducks.

In this pic look into the water at the green shoots or stems that are left from the plants. The water is crystal clear. I hope to plant
corn here next year. I can lower the water to the depth I like.
GOARMY
hunter

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting