delete

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

delete

Postby knockemdown13 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:42 pm

thanks
Last edited by knockemdown13 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knockemdown13
Newb

Re: New to Delaware

Postby drewsmith » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Welcome to the great state of Delaware. Lot's of good hunters, 45,000 acres of public hunting along with the rivers and bays you will find some opportunity to get out there. Delaware has a unique system to allocate public blinds via a lottery along with a good set of maps available online. There are places to walk in like the C&D canal and other opportunities such as public dove and deer hunting. There are also two major Federal Wildlife Refugees that offer public hunting. While we often discuss the management efforts behind them, the opportunity still exists. There are many chapters of Duck's Unlimited throughout the state will give you a chance to meet lot's of hunters. Many of these volunteers work hard on behalf of the ducks and welcome participation from new members. The state's DNR is very approachable due to Delaware's small size and they offer a monthly Advisory Council meeting once a month to hear any upcoming changes in policy and provide feedback.
drewsmith
hunter

Postby knockemdown13 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:13 am

Thank you ive been doing my home work i think i have every map for the whole state. I dont know if i should buy a rig with a mud motor or a outboard. I want it to be universal to hunt shallow water/Bay. It looks like alot of the public property is real shallow. Do you have any feed back you can give me. Thanks again
knockemdown13
Newb

Postby bubbasblazer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Mud motor would help expand your options, Cedar Swamp seems to be o.k. Woodland Beach can be tricky with an o/b. Little creek is ok. I've been out to Ted Harvey when my 30hp was suckin mud but made it with a little common sense, and patience. Prime Hook is a deffinate mud motor from my last experience there a few weeks ago with a buddy who had a mud motor. These are my opinions from experiences I've had some may disagree with me but depending on where you wanna go it could deffinately be a big help. I use my boat for fishing also so I just have my o/b and stick to the places I know I can go but there are times I wish I had a mud chugger. Welcome to the state dude and good luck to ya. :beer:
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby EyeHuntFowl » Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 pm

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Huntin ... gMaps.aspx

This website will be an answered prayer for hunting public land.

Get out and scout! If you're hunting tidal, scout on both tides so you know where you can / can't go. It makes a world of difference.
EyeHuntFowl
hunter

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting