Decoy Hell

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Decoy Hell

Postby goosepitgreg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 am

So....here I am last wekend standing in a funeral home in northern NJ....admiring an oil painting of pitching mallards when the "Director" says ...."Do you like ducks? and would you like to see some decoys? Hell yes I say and proceed to a hidden back room where I come to find not 1, or even 10 but close to 25 hand carved decoys no less than 100 years old each. I begin to drool and crow about one in particular, a Brant...the director says they all originate from Barnegate to Sommers pt.....no where else. I ask him about an obvious Ruddy coy to which he replies......Ruddy? Whats that?.....I just collect the things for money, in fact I really like shore birds better. As darkness begins to fall over me (12 noon actually) I realize that this guy is totally clueless except for the fact taht he has 60k in wood on the wall. Here's how I feel.....What the F***....seriously? you have some of the finest working deeks I've ever seen and you have no clue what kind of birds they represent. Clueless !!! All bucks no clue.....total Decoy Hell for a guy like me that dreams of the ability to just touch, let alone "own" a piece of waterfowl history like this. So...the next time you see some deeks on the wall at some jokers house or shop......just enjoy, grope a little and dont ask "who did the Pintail?".....this way you dont join me here in my own Decoy Hell !!!
goosepitgreg
Newb

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting