Hunting from boat

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Hunting from boat

Postby nachosgrande » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm

So this is my first year duck hunting and I checked every waterfowl map on public lands in the state and it seems you can only hunt from the state blinds. Is there anywhere in the state I can hunt from my boat? This is how my buddies do it in Jersey. Thanks in advance.
nachosgrande
Newb

Re: Hunting from boat

Postby EyeHuntFowl » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:34 am

http://regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCo ... #TopOfPage

2.3 Hunting from Boats.

2.3.1 Distance from Blinds. During the season for the hunting of migratory waterfowl, it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt from a boat of any kind that is within 1500 feet of an established blind, except that:

2.3.1.1 Any person may use a boat to tend lawfully set traps for fur-bearing wildlife;

2.3.1.2 Any person may retrieve crippled waterfowl by the use of a boat in accordance with federal regulations;

2.3.1.3 Any person may use a boat for transportation to and from an established blind lawfully used by such person;

2.3.1.4 Any person may hunt from a boat that is firmly secured and enclosed in an established blind.

2.3.2 Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection 2.2.1 of this section, any person may hunt migratory waterfowl within 1500 feet of an established blind, from a boat, with permission of the blind owner.

2.3.3 Gunning Rigs.

2.3.3.1 During the season for hunting migratory waterfowl, it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt within 900 feet of the shoreline (high tide line) of the Delaware River and Bay, between the Appoquinimink River and the Smyrna River, without written permission of the closest adjoining landowner(s).

2.3.3.2 During the season for hunting migratory waterfowl, it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt within 1500 feet of the shoreline (high tide line) of the Delaware River and Bay, between the Smyrna River and the Murderkill River, without written permission of the closest adjoining landowner(s).

2.3.4 Tender Boats. It shall be unlawful for tender boats servicing gunning (layout) rigs to be further than 1500 feet from the rig or to conduct any activity, except to pick up downed birds or service the rig.

2.3.5 During the season for hunting migratory waterfowl, it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt from a boat, or a floating or fixed blind in the Little River in areas bounded on both sides by land administered by the Division, except as permitted in writing by the Director.
EyeHuntFowl
hunter

Postby nachosgrande » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:28 am

Thank you for your reply, but each public hunting area also has their own regulations. And I've read the rules of each of them and they prohibit hunting from anywhere other than a blind. I was wondering if there are other areas not mentioned at the Fish and Wildlife website to hunt duck from a boat blind.
nachosgrande
Newb

Postby EyeHuntFowl » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:41 am

If you have read the regs to the WMAs and are still asking the question, then lands you're looking to hunt are probably not WMAs...
EyeHuntFowl
hunter

Postby deducker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:50 am

now you know why public waterfowl hunting in delaware SUCKS! they tell you which days to hunt and they tell you where to hunt. our wma are mismanaged and dfw sucks up to the private sector. they sure as hell like your $20 donation every year which we get nothing in return. its time to tear down the blinds and do way with the lottery. its also time to do away with the areas set aside as refuge (what a joke).
deducker
hunter

Postby nachosgrande » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:52 am

Is there any public land that is not a WMA? I hate the idea of waking up at 3am only to find out I didn't get the lottery pick. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm very new to this type of hunting.
nachosgrande
Newb

Postby nachosgrande » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:54 am

Guess I'll get a Jersey license too. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
nachosgrande
Newb

Postby EyeHuntFowl » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 am

There are areas of WMAs that are first come, first serve - some with blinds and some without. Reading the regs for the various areas will give you all the information you need.

If they're not WMAs, they're either National Wildlife Refuges, State Parks, State Forests or the like.
EyeHuntFowl
hunter

Postby deducker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am

try the lottery. there is some good hunting on the wma. just read the regs. theyre not all open everyday. though everyone of them is open on saturdays. i still do the lottery occasionally and i do well all things considered. the state of de needs your $20. you then become an official member of the $20 hunt club.
deducker
hunter

Postby nachosgrande » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Oh, I've already given them the $20 to use their deer stands. It's not an issue of money as much as a preference to hunt from my boat.
nachosgrande
Newb

Postby Sandor27 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Many of the WMAs have blind 'sites' instead of blinds. You can hunt from your boat anywhere between the set stakes.

Check out the maps at http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Huntin ... gMaps.aspx

For instance blind site 12 at Silver Run Augustine WMA, site 23 Green Tract Augustine WMA, Cedar Swamp South WMA site 25, etc...

You can also hunt Reedy Island with a boat blind.(see notes on C&D Canal East section map)

Otherwise you have to observe the rules mentioned previously - most pain part is contacting the landowners.....

Good luck! Post if you are successful.
Sandor27
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:10 pm

We kinda talked about this last season. The way read it is that, say you are running down the misipillion river for arguments sake, see a ducky spot you can stop and set up as long as you are the required distance from an established blind. Probably best to check it out the day before so there's no "distance issues" . I started doing this last year but mostly hunt by the blind site sign, but if the ducks are flying through another area I can pick up and move as long as theres no blind within 1500ft. The blind sites give you 35yds from the stake. If you wanna hunt between them stay in the boat/not in the mud because then you're on state land not on a blind site which = fine $$ if they wanna burn ya for it. NACHO- Most of the rivers have blind sites there is no maintained blind unless it was put there by public hunters for everyone to use. The only way to know where the "blind site" is is to look on the bank of the river and you SHOULD see a yellow sign saying something like "HUNTING FROM STATE BLIND SITES ONLY" then you got 35yds either side of that sign to set up shop. Look at your maps and count the bends in the river as you head out in the morning and you will be somewhere close to your site sign. Google earth is also good for comparing to the state map and you also may be able to pick out some identifying landmarks on shore. With a little time hunting the areas you will be able to get to the blind sites with your eyes closed. Put off during the day and hunt the afternoon a few tiimes that way you can see hazards such as trees, or the mysterious abandoned crab pot, ect. Hope this helps But on the other hand it is good to know you cant set up on Little River, God knows I've thought about that as they fly over my blind and splash down in there.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby agermak44 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:13 pm

ive been curious about hunting indian river bay. do the same distance rules apply? most of the land down toward the inlet looks to be owned by the state im guessing. i hunt in pa and as long as your on water in your boat you can hunt anywhere. all waterways are owned by the state. i also read in the delaware game laws that you cannot hunt out of a boat unless federal regs permit you to in which the fed waterfowl regs say you can as long as forward progress has ceased and the motor is off. so i take that as an ok.
agermak44
hunter

Postby agermak44 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:17 pm

How is the hunting on reedy island?
agermak44
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 am

Mrs. Green Jeans told me last year that you can be in any part of STATE waters, not wma's, state parks, county waters..but, if its tidal like most of us hunt, you can NOT be on land or past the low tide water line. Once you step out of the boat onto the land, even if theres water that you can still wade in, such as it being high tide, your tresspassing. Must stay in the boat.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby agermak44 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:02 pm

so i take that as most of indian river and rehobeth bay are fair game as long as you are in the boat?
agermak44
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:18 pm

I know alot of folks sit in IR Bay for divers and brant. NACHO- welcome to the 20 dollar hunt club :beer: . Theres alot of decent hunting around it'll just take a little time to know whats hot and whats not.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:24 am

agermak44 wrote:so i take that as most of indian river and rehobeth bay are fair game as long as you are in the boat?

thats a quick way to a ticket and a lot of upset folks down there bud.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby agermak44 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:06 pm

whats the best way to avoid that? i only started hunting delware the last two years. im familar with the bay been goin down there my whole life. dont want to piss off the locals.
agermak44
hunter

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting