Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Postby Super X » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:14 am

Hey, Just wanted to introduce myself, name is Nick. Just getting back into waterfowl after a 15 year stretch, (got tired of not getting picked at Little Creek!!) Well, my son is 14 now and he is ate up with duck hunting and deer hunting. I can handle the deer hunting part for him, I am trying to handle the waterfowl, lol. Man, stuff is not cheap! Anyway I got my stuff together and plan on going back to that old stomping ground of Little Creek, hope my luck has changed! My question is, can you still run a boat around the dikes at Port Mahon (10-15) and Pickering Beach (1-9). I know towards the end the mud had filled in just about everything and even now the impounds look nothing like what they did back then. Also how is Logan Lane impounds? Any info would be helpful. Thanks fellas.
Super X
hunter

Re: New member

Postby NICKD » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 am

As of last year you could run your boat around the edges of those two impounds. Now Logan Lane is another story, last year it was very shallow. That place changes so much from year to year. Good luck out there. I'm staying away from that place on opening day it will be a mad house. Also it so much easier to run my motor to a blind and shoot a few less ducks than struggle all morning with the mud if you don't get the blind that you want.
Wack Em Stack Em
NICKD
hunter

Postby Super X » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks man, I wont be going till prolly Monday, finishing all my yards this week and taking the boy and his friend to a walk in spot on Saturday. I hear ya on the mad house part! I have a lease in Maryland, but have to do the public thing in Delaware for the time being. I'm getting the itch though, haven't been this excited in a long time about ducks. Gonna check out the river today and see if I remember where everything is at.
Super X
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:53 am

I bet you find LC to be far from what it used to be both in duck numbers and habitat. Gone are the days of thousands of birds loafing in the middle of the impounds and picking off a few as they come and go. gone are the days of getting around LC with ease. everything is now a battle, the low water, holes in the dike that the state has no intention of ever fixing thus allowing water in and out constantly more out than in for that matter, over abundance of saltgrass that does nothing for waterfowl, increasing numbers of parties at the draw as more people lose access to private property, and the list goes on and on. Gone also is the courtesy that used to go on around there. now people just break all the grass off the blinds, shoot at anything that comes in the impound, leave all their trash in the blinds and parking lot, and call at anything they see. makes ya wonder where our $20 goes to since the state does nothing to maintain any of the WMA's let alone fix something. they have known about the holes in the dikes for years now and make no bones about telling people they arent going to fix them. that being said bet there is still 70 parties friday and saturday and then 35 on monday. wish it wasnt that way LC used to be a neat place to hunt. Wish your son was able to see it back in the day when there was something to talk about, it was the place to go to show kids the ropes the shear numbers of waterfowl were something worth seeing. those days are long long gone now.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby Super X » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:28 am

Well DF72, it was a pretty somber ride up and down the river. I looked at all the river blinds just to make sure I remembered where they all were. I'm not very excited now about the upcoming week. From the bay to up past the concrete plant I saw a total of 4 ducks. 1 black, and 3 sea ducks bluebills? They were too far off to ID but got off the water like sea ducks. Don't know what all the black plastic wire ties were for but they are all over the place around each blind. Too late now, but I will definitely find a place to lease or join a little group like I did in Md. for next year. Gonna have to bite the bullet this year in De. I still have found some decent walk in spots so all is not lost, just not the same as getting the boy out on the marsh in a boat, still early though so hopefully some birds will move in. I don't think he really cares where we go he just wants to go! LOL.
Super X
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:04 am

Super X wrote:Well DF72, it was a pretty somber ride up and down the river. I looked at all the river blinds just to make sure I remembered where they all were. I'm not very excited now about the upcoming week. From the bay to up past the concrete plant I saw a total of 4 ducks. 1 black, and 3 sea ducks bluebills? They were too far off to ID but got off the water like sea ducks. Don't know what all the black plastic wire ties were for but they are all over the place around each blind. Too late now, but I will definitely find a place to lease or join a little group like I did in Md. for next year. Gonna have to bite the bullet this year in De. I still have found some decent walk in spots so all is not lost, just not the same as getting the boy out on the marsh in a boat, still early though so hopefully some birds will move in. I don't think he really cares where we go he just wants to go! LOL.

yeah that the good thing about kids they are always excited and just happy to get out. I cant say the same for myself it gets pretty frustrating to see what used to be something so great to something that isnt worth the effort. the wire ties may be what they used to tie the grass to the blinds just a guess. The Jones doesnt normally hold a lot of birds other then black ducks most of the ducks that work that river come out of the back and head towards the bay in the morning and the impoundments and trade back and forth in my opinion those Jones blinds are usually pretty deccent blinds to run traffic on ducks when the conditions are right so dont give up on em.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:54 pm

better get what you can get the 1st 2 days of this split with that storm coming in most of whats here is going to haul arse south for sure. hope it pushed in some new birds and doesnt tear up to much marsh.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby Super X » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:52 am

Well wouldn't you know it. Looks like I will be hunkered down in the house till at least Wednesday! At least we can get a couple days in before all hell breaks loose. On a good note, looks like the pond I dug this summer will finally get some water in it!
Super X
hunter

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting