Season dates???

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Season dates???

Postby bubbasblazer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Anyone seen anything on upcoming fowl season dates yet? I looked on the Dnrec site but musta overlooked it.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Re: Season dates???

Postby Bigkc82 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Man you know its way to early for the state of Delaware. Look how long it took them to decide on the flounder regs. LOL Ive been looking as well. Usally its mid august when the dates are released.
Bigkc82
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 am

Yea I hear ya dude. I plan on hittin ya up oncs things cool off for some fishing, I took the baby once other than that my rods ar collecting dust.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:54 pm

the dates have been out since feb or march (tentative anyway). if it wasn't just the same 5 of us at the meeting all the time they would probably be more available. I will see if I can dig em out had some changes in dec if I remember correctly.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby deducker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:38 am

Dove
Sept. 2 – Sept. 28 ½ before sunrise to sunset
Oct. 21 – Nov. 2 ½ before sunrise to sunset
Dec. 13 – Jan. 11 ½ before sunrise to sunset
Limit: 15
Resident Canada Geese
Sept. 2 – Sept. 25 ½ before sunrise to sunset
* No liberal hunting options
Limit: 15
Early Teal
Sept. 12 – Sept. 30
Hours: Teal season will be open all day (1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset) in limited geographic areas. These areas are coastal areas from south of the C&D Canal to Lewes east of Routes 13, 113/113A & 1.
Limit: 4
Ducks
Oct. 25 – Nov. 11
Nov. 25 – Nov. 30
Dec. 12 – Jan. 25
Daily limit of 6 ducks (except mergansers and coots), may include 1 black duck; 4 mallards including no more than 2 hen mallards; 2 pintail; 1 canvasback; 3 wood ducks; 2 red heads; 4 scaup; l mottled Duck; 1 fulvous whistling tree duck; 4 scoters. The possession limit is 2 times the daily bag limit.
Youth Hunt Oct. 15 and Feb. 8
Bag may include ducks, mergansers, coots, moorhens, Canada geese, snow geese and brant. Standard limits apply.
Canada Geese (Migratory)
Nov. 25 – Nov. 30
Dec. 12 – Jan. 31
Limit: 2
Snow Goose
Oct. 1 – Jan. 31
Limit: 25
Feb. 1 – 7, Feb 10 - April 12 (Conservation Order)
NO LIMIT
deducker
hunter

Postby Bigkc82 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks for posting the dates. So is Delaware moving up to six teal limit durning teal season and is the possession limit going up to three times the daily bag limit for the full season?
Bigkc82
hunter

Postby Trv » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 pm

I have heard of states raising the limit on early teal to 6.
There is a lot of teal in the part of de I hunt it would be great to have a chance for more harvest :thumbsup:
Trv
hunter

Postby deducker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:03 am

i doubt if Delaware would increase the limit its a very conservative state in this regard.
deducker
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 am

i bet my paycheck the early teal limit goes up to 6, also there was lengthy discussion on adding wood ducks to the early teal limit like other states do and making a bag limit aggregate to includ teal and woodies but that will not happen this year at least. i still say early teal goes to 6,
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby Bigkc82 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 am

duckinfool72 wrote:i bet my paycheck the early teal limit goes up to 6, also there was lengthy discussion on adding wood ducks to the early teal limit like other states do and making a bag limit aggregate to includ teal and woodies but that will not happen this year at least. i still say early teal goes to 6,

I see no reason not to go up to 6 birds, Maryland DNR has already posted a 6 bird teal limit for this year. Seems like it takes an act of God to get something changed in Maryland. http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/tealchart.asp

Wood ducks would be nice as well, I've seen quite a few of those during teal season. Still think it B.S. Delaware takes so long to finalize anything. I'd like to know specifically how the season dates are set and how much public input is considered? I'd like to see the season run to the end of January.

Also, why can't we hunt teal in the entire state? There's alot of good places to hunt west of route 1 !!! Who made this stupid reg?
Bigkc82
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Bigkc82 wrote:
duckinfool72 wrote:i bet my paycheck the early teal limit goes up to 6, also there was lengthy discussion on adding wood ducks to the early teal limit like other states do and making a bag limit aggregate to includ teal and woodies but that will not happen this year at least. i still say early teal goes to 6,

I see no reason not to go up to 6 birds, Maryland DNR has already posted a 6 bird teal limit for this year. Seems like it takes an act of God to get something changed in Maryland. http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/tealchart.asp

Wood ducks would be nice as well, I've seen quite a few of those during teal season. Still think it B.S. Delaware takes so long to finalize anything. I'd like to know specifically how the season dates are set and how much public input is considered? I'd like to see the season run to the end of January.

Also, why can't we hunt teal in the entire state? There's alot of good places to hunt west of route 1 !!! Who made this stupid reg?

maybe you should show to the meetings I have been mentioning and educate yourself on these topics. Season don't just run to the end of jan because we hunters want them to run as late as possible. if you are truly a "waterfowler" there is plenty of quality hunting to be had well before jan. and for that matter 5 days isn't going to make or break your season you gonna have what you have here numbers wise by the 25th of jan
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Let us know when and where they are, or where we can get a schedule of the said meetings and I would be happy to attend if I'm not working.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby Bigkc82 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:16 pm

duckinfool72 wrote:
Bigkc82 wrote:

maybe you should show to the meetings I have been mentioning and educate yourself on these topics. Season don't just run to the end of jan because we hunters want them to run as late as possible. if you are truly a "waterfowler" there is plenty of quality hunting to be had well before jan. and for that matter 5 days isn't going to make or break your season you gonna have what you have here numbers wise by the 25th of jan

Well why don't you post some dates and time of these meetings!!! That's the whole point of these hunting forums, is to pass on information to one another. That was my point of asking those questions since we were on the topic of season dates and regulations. I'm not going to get into a pissing match about how much I hunt and what you hunt, I'll just say I've seen more birds push through and bagged more birds the later part of January compared to the days after thankgiving week or the first week of duck season in December. I think the later the better, besides most people give after December anyways. It doesn't matter what day or the weather I'm going hunting.

I don't feel five guys should determine when I should be able to hunt. I've also seen a member of DNR post a poll on saltfish.net in spring of 2012, polling hunters opinions about what they would like to see the season dates be set at. I didn't vote for the outcome but I still hunted. That's why I asked about the how much public opinions weighs on the decision.

Maybe next time you can post some informative information, instead of being smart about it. That's always typical with Delaware people. It also seems like its a big secret about anything that goes on, if you knew the tentative dates why didn't you post them five months ago? Don't you think people would like to have some idea.
Bigkc82
hunter

Postby EyeHuntFowl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:42 am

The meetings are far from secret, in fact, they're very public.

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Pages/ ... ncils.aspx

You don't feel 5 guys should determine when you should hunt? Well I don't think you should determine when I hunt.

The council does an extremely good job, IMHO, taking public input into consideration. Hell a few years back, when I had time to attend, it was my suggestion that was met with great success on the future duck seasons. ...and Delaware is on point with finalizing all of the seasons. It's how the system works. Prelims discussed in Jan/Feb/Mar. Proposals agreed upon. Proposals submitted. Flyway Council approves in early August. Finalized in Mid August.
EyeHuntFowl
hunter

Postby deducker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:40 am

If you can find your way to this forum and probably others on the Internet. I dont see why you couldn't find your way to the DNREC website for information. Posting on this forum acting like a DU Greenwing is inappropiate.
deducker
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:12 am

I had no idea there was public meetings, now I know there are and where to find the dates, hopefully I'll make a few. No reason to get all butt on each other. No wonder De. Hunters dont post on these sites.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:24 am

there are plenty of cyberscouters on this site they just chose to lurk and not post.

2nd of all how can you complain about the state or council not doing anything but when given the chance to vote on a poll you abstained? that doesnt make any sense. the council is made up of more then 5 members if I can recall i believe it is 8-9. they do an alright job but most are out of touch with the general public ground average joe hunter. regardless they do a great job with the setting of the season in early spring i believe it is march and then finalizing after the flyway council says go in late august thats pretty darn good. the meetings are always held on a tues in the R and R building

when it comes to season dates you have to actually know something about waterfowl you may see more birds moving thru in late jan but that has nothing to do with why and how the seasons are set. also the birds you probably see moving around are more visible because the hunting pressure has subsided and the birds are even bouncing back north before the ping pong back and forth with the cold fronts and warm fronts in feb and march. they reverse migrate all the time in texas and other southern states i have watched it happen over night. for the most part 5 days longer in jan to hunt isnt going to make or break a season the migration has either happend and birds have pushed thru or it hasnt

I agree strongly with Fowl you shouldnt set my seasons either, the whole "later the better" mindset is uneducated trust me man put some time in you will be glad you did. if you want to have some idea of the dates educate yourself I certainly did when I was younger and started attending these meetings and other waterfowl related meetings you learn a lot of insight on the state does their thing. adapt to what your dealt and roll on.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 am

this months advisory meeting is august 13th i believe it starts at 730 but it could be 7. I will be there stop by and say hi, they will be setting the waterfowl season in stone. gonna be some changes so should be a good meeting.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 am

Cool thanks for the info,
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby Bigkc82 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:46 pm

deducker wrote:If you can find your way to this forum and probably others on the Internet. I dont see why you couldn't find your way to the DNREC website for information. Posting on this forum acting like a DU Greenwing is inappropiate.

Why would I use the search on DNREC site if I never knew there was a meeting in late winter/early spring? :huh: Oh, and if I'm a DU Greenwing acting inappropriate than your a sperm of a coots nut acting acting like a fool. :lol3:
Bigkc82
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Bigkc82 wrote:
deducker wrote:If you can find your way to this forum and probably others on the Internet. I dont see why you couldn't find your way to the DNREC website for information. Posting on this forum acting like a DU Greenwing is inappropiate.

Why would I use the search on DNREC site if I never knew there was a meeting in late winter/early spring? :huh: Oh, and if I'm a DU Greenwing acting inappropriate than your a sperm of a coots nut acting acting like a fool. :lol3:

anyway hope to see you there, i would really like to meet ya
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby Bigkc82 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Yeah maybe we got off on the wrong foot and my approach may have been harsh and I apologize for that. I find it frustrating that every year the seasons get changed around in manner. I'm just curious why? Why are the dates set the way they are, if there not set for hunting? If your on the council you should have some insight what goes on. I'm going to attend the next meeting, but maybe you could inform the others on here of what go on. The five days at the end of the season isn't what really bothers me, its the general changes that many don't find out about until its too late. Yes everyone should do more of there home work find these things out and attend meetings, maybe someone like yourself or other could be a little more informative. Maybe just a little reminder or heads up.

duckinfool72 wrote:there are plenty of cyberscouters on this site they just chose to lurk and not post. 100% correct on that!!!

2nd of all how can you complain about the state or council not doing anything but when given the chance to vote on a poll you abstained? Yes I was given the chance in 2012 but why not 2013? Why can't the council post a poll on DNREC website asking the publics opinion? I don't care when the dates are set, do I like other weeks better than other, yes. that doesnt make any sense. the council is made up of more then 5 members if I can recall i believe it is 8-9. they do an alright job but most are out of touch with the general public ground average joe hunter. regardless they do a great job with the setting of the season in early spring i believe it is march and then finalizing after the flyway council says go in late august thats pretty darn good. the meetings are always held on a tues in the R and R building I meant no disrespect toward any of the council or you duckinfool, and I understand there's a process that takes awhile, someone got to do it. I actually like the change in November!!!

when it comes to season dates you have to actually know something about waterfowl you may see more birds moving thru in late jan but that has nothing to do with why and how the seasons are set.Again why are the seasons set if not for hunting waterfowl, then why? also the birds you probably see moving around are more visible because the hunting pressure has subsided and the birds are even bouncing back north before the ping pong back and forth with the cold fronts and warm fronts in feb and march. they reverse migrate all the time in texas and other southern states i have watched it happen over night. for the most part 5 days longer in jan to hunt isnt going to make or break a season the migration has either happend and birds have pushed thru or it hasnt

I agree strongly with Fowl you shouldnt set my seasons either,I never said I wanted to set your season!!! the whole "later the better" mindset is uneducated trust me man put some time in you will be glad you did.I put my time in, lucky enough to hunt over 40 days out 60 and I hunt from Little Creek to Fenwick and willing to go further if have too. I never said the later the better, I just like that last week for hunting. Its just my preference and opinion. if you want to have some idea of the dates educate yourself I certainly did when I was younger and started attending these meetings and other waterfowl related meetings you learn a lot of insight on the state does their thing. adapt to what your dealt and roll on.
Trust me I've had to adapt last year just like everyone else after hurricane sandy came through and I know there's other changes coming for this year.

I'm not trying to start anymore of war about all this, just have a few questions and I bet there are others do as well.

How are the dates set?
How much public opinion is considered?
Why can't we hunt west of Rt 1 for teal season?
Any word on the possession limit?

Maybe you can answer then, if not I'll just ask them at the meeting and come back and re write it here. I'm not trying to be smart about, I'm just curious. Thanks for your time and help.
Bigkc82
hunter

Postby EyeHuntFowl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:27 am

Bigkc82 wrote:How are the dates set?

Maybe you can answer then, if not I'll just ask them at the meeting and come back and re write it here. I'm not trying to be smart about, I'm just curious. Thanks for your time and help.

1 - Dates are set by preliminary suggestions in JAN/FEB at the... Council Meetings. Proposals are set forth by the Council and then public input can be had. Selections are then "approved as tentative" in MAY/JUN (month may be off). Those approved selections by the state are then sent to the Flyway Council meeting (early August) for Federal Approval. Once they are approved, they are released to the public as FINAL.

2 - A lot, IMHO, especially when there's public support for the suggestion - especially on season dates. One thing to remember - the season dates are developed in a way that's "good fit" for the entire state. Guys hunting in Thousand Acres want seasons at the beginning of October, whereas guys hunting Rehoboth Bay may want end of January to really but the hurting on those wiley buffleheads.

3 - I, honestly, don't know. My guess is because that's the "predominant" teal area.

4 - I believe it will increase to 3x the daily bag limit.
EyeHuntFowl
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Bigkc82 wrote:How are the dates set?

OK I am going to try to answer these the best I can,

first the season dates are tentatively set in feb or march by the advisory council. the dates are usually similar in that the 2nd split usually opens on the Monday before thanksgiving and such. a couple different date options are passed around before the meeting starts with some coming from the council and some other sets of dates often being submitted by the general public. those dates must meet the federal framework for lets say a liberal season. other options also exist for moderate seasons which is I believe 45 days and 4 ducks or a conservative season which is 30 days and 3 birds roughly. seasons can not run past the last Saturday in jan regardless of how many days there are in the month. public consideration is usually received in a decent manner when it is presented in an articulate polite manner. if you just spew uneducated random bullcrap they aren't going to listen to you. the council then votes after taking public comments from the floor on a couple sets of options that are later excepted after the july flyway council meeting. the feds have final say on everything and basically tell the states this is what you can or can not offer.

the reason you can not hunt west of route 1 is not perfectly clear to me. originally there was some concern with crabbers and boaters and such in September thus the hours were originally amended to hunt til 10am I believe. I would guess they don't want you gunning teal west of route 1 due to the large amount of wood ducks that would probably bite the dust by hunters but that is just my opinion. MD until this year had amended LST that did not allow them to start until sunrise due to the large amount of boat traffic in sept for crabbers and such. in all my years of early teal season I would not believe there is a large percentage of teal to be had west of the route 1 I am not saying you couldn't whack a limit somewhere what I am saying is the marjority of larger teal concentrations on to be had around the coastal areas.

possession limits are set to increase this year, the recommendation was started by the central and Mississippi flyway in last years flyway council meeting and after the seed was planted it was later pushed by all 4 flyways and thus we are where we are at now. it looks like all flyways will adopt the 3 day possession limit.

it looks as though blackheads will go back to 2 per day and cans are slightly above the threshold for 2 birds a day if the feds let it fly fingers crossed.

it is my opinion that things are getting better then they were years ago with the council as they actually take input from the public. the problem they have is Delaware experiences some vast habitat changes from county to county thus huge differences in opinions on season dates and such. the new castle crowd or thousand acres crowd wants dates early to shoot teal and pintails in oct while the coastal areas of Sussex county want ice and lots of it. so each county tends to have differences of opinions on where they hunt and what is best for them. it could be worse MD has a tough time with any legislation due the westernshore varying from the easternshore.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Well said guys. At these meeting can we inquire about specific rules of wma's? I have a few thing I would like to get clarification on. I hope to make the meeting just gotta check the work schedule.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Next

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting