Tick Tock Tick Tock...

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Tick Tock Tick Tock...

Postby Sandor27 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Can't wait for early teal, but I must say that the temps on Thursday will make it a bit tough.

I was out in Augustine Wildlife area today scouting and checking out blinds. Waders and 85° temps are a sour combination. My dog even told me it sucked, or that I suck for bringing him out in this weather...I didn't quite catch it.

Anyway have seen a few teal, numbers not great. Saw some tonight N of Odessa settling in for the night on the Appo.

Anyone seeing teal where they are? Care to report?
Sandor27
hunter

Re: Tick Tock Tick Tock...

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:59 am

How did the blinds look at Augustine?

Did you look at all 10 of them ?
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby Sandor27 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:48 am

10 grassed up. Water in impound waywayway low. About 6" max depth for 200 yards in front of 10.
11 is now a water blind, no longer on land due to bank erosion. They put a second floor in it to bring it above water level, so the seats are now awkwardly low. Water depth was about 12'' in front of 11. (used to be 2-3'!)
Impound boat ramp (if you can call it that) is only like 12" for 30'. Had to push my boat off trailer and winch it back on.

4 is trashed - just the base and part of the rear remain. Completely overgrown too.
3 is overgrown, but has grass.
7 had no grass, was crooked and below water at high tide.
8 had no grass and was completely overgrown. Probably does not need grass with as much frag is around it...
9 had no grass, was completely overgrown.
6 had grass and looks good.
5 had grass, but most of the penninsula is gone, so it is basically a water blind at high tide.
I did not get up to 2.

This is as of Tuesday. State grassed 10 and 11 recently, so they might get to 7,8,9 before teal starts....
Sandor27
hunter

Postby fmsfd29 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Bug spray and a bottle of water, I'm all ready to go. Cant wait to roll out to the marsh. Its been to long and Im ready. :biggrin:
Frank S
fmsfd29
hunter

Postby Sandor27 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:05 am

Except that the bug spray and my 1L water bottle got put back into the car with the decoy bag we did not use. So that sucked. Got eaten alive in Langs marsh this morning. And the fuel in the Thermocell was out. No luck there.

We only saw one small flock of Teal and managed to scratch just one GW down. Hardly any shooting at all from 1K acres and Langs or the impound. One flight of geese out on the river, didn't come near the marsh. Got checked by the game warden. Plug, steel shot, licenses, stamp...

Too hot. No birds unless you count the mosquitos. Great day. Of course I am heading out tomorrow....

Anybody get anything this morning?
Sandor27
hunter

Postby omaha » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Looking forward to sat dispite the weather
omaha
hunter

Postby deducker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:49 am

they should tear all the blinds down in lang marsh and return it to freelance hunters.
deducker
hunter

Postby mpollinger » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Guys in the group shot a goose yesterday and followed up by 1 GWT and 2 BWT today. Not a bad start. Saw a few flocks of big ducks though.
mpollinger
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:15 pm

deducker wrote:they should tear all the blinds down in lang marsh and return it to freelance hunters.

Do that everywhere!
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting