Boat for Delaware State blinds...

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Boat for Delaware State blinds...

Postby deduckin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am

hey guys... wanted to hear some experience about boats... just picked up a 1448 modified-v on the cheap, and am going to fix it up and paint it... just wondering if anyone uses a 14' to get to state blinds at Cedar Swamp, Woodland and Little Creek... I know that I would not want to be running the river in it, but would like to be able to get me, my son and decoys out to some of the state blinds in the creeks....

I have always walked in to the blinds and pits, this will be my first attempt at taking the boat to the blinds...

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!!
deduckin
hunter

Re: Boat for Delaware State blinds...

Postby Bigkc82 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:06 pm

I grew up hunting out of a 1436 modifie-v, so a 1448 shouldn't be a problem hunting for you and son. Of the three place you mentioned, I've only hunted little creek/ ted harvey and wouldn't hesitate to use a 1448 to get to any of those blinds. A small light weight boat, which there are probably oar locks to row around to put out or pick up decoy. Stable enough for you and your son, 3-4 dozen decoys and gear. Easy to hide behind the blind with some burlap. Do you have a motor yet? If not, are leaning towards a mud motor or an outboard?
Bigkc82
hunter

Postby deduckin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:57 pm

It came with a 25hp Evinrude outboard with a console... thinking I may take that off and sell it to fund a mud motor or smaller outboard... talking to a guy now about welding floatation pods on the transom.....
deduckin
hunter

Postby Bigkc82 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:15 pm

I would lean towards the mud motor, maybe a 20hp long tail would push you both at a pretty good speed and a lot less frustration in sallow water/Mud compared to the outboard. I've thought about putting pods in mine as well, nice for keeping the boat level and helps getting the boat on plane faster.

I run a 1648 modified-v with a beaver tail 27hp long tail. I love mine, myself and another adult, dog and gear easily gets on plane and gets me from point a to b in decent time. Not the fastest but its reliable and I never worry if I'm going to make it to the blind. A third person it pushes water pretty good in the front and slower, but will still get you there. Its nice having the decoys set 30 minutes or more and waiting for shooting time compared to rushing to set decoys at shooting time.
Bigkc82
hunter

Postby mpollinger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:04 pm

That boat should be fine at all the places you mentioned. Just use common sense in some of the more open water at Woodland (the flats) since they tend to get choppy on windy days.
mpollinger
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:17 pm

I have 14ft v bot with a 30HP its good for LC I dont hesitate to hit the rivers, it flat out hauls assss. (when it runs). Ive had it to The Rocks outta staves landing on the other side of blackbird creek, murderkill, broadkill, ST. Jones, the de. Bay. Ect. Have fun with it and,use your head if heading to,bigger water.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby deduckin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:43 am

Awesome... thanks guys! I appreciate it... I figure I will use this boat for a few years until both my boys get a little older, then move up to a 16-18ft.....

Thanks again for all the replys.. :thumbsup:
deduckin
hunter

Postby deduckin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:44 am

Bigkc82 wrote:I would lean towards the mud motor, maybe a 20hp long tail would push you both at a pretty good speed and a lot less frustration in sallow water/Mud compared to the outboard. I've thought about putting pods in mine as well, nice for keeping the boat level and helps getting the boat on plane faster.

I run a 1648 modified-v with a beaver tail 27hp long tail. I love mine, myself and another adult, dog and gear easily gets on plane and gets me from point a to b in decent time. Not the fastest but its reliable and I never worry if I'm going to make it to the blind. A third person it pushes water pretty good in the front and slower, but will still get you there. Its nice having the decoys set 30 minutes or more and waiting for shooting time compared to rushing to set decoys at shooting time.

did you get your mud motor local? I haven't seen many if any at all for sale.... I have seen there are some D.I.Y plans on the interwebs... I am a handy guy so that may be an option...
deduckin
hunter

Postby Bigkc82 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 am

deduckin wrote:did you get your mud motor local? I haven't seen many if any at all for sale.... I have seen there are some D.I.Y plans on the interwebs... I am a handy guy so that may be an option...

Yeah I bought mine used about four years from a guy outside of Bethany. I searched from August to the end of September, missed out on a few good deals by only a few hours. Just have to keep an eye out, something will pop up between now and next season. I've seen alot of D.I.Y projects on here and on mudmotortalk.com. I've seen more and more people build there own, alot of smaller hp motors. There are alot of mud motors for sale on mudmotortalk but many are southern states.
Bigkc82
hunter

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting