Duck Hunting Forum banner

Third Split

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hojo73 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How is everyone been doing? I have only managed two birds on my last three outings...

duckhunt2.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
aint killed a duck in a while. Doin ok on geese, but thats not too dificult. Limited on time out this season with a newborn. Nice influx of birds (geese) have showed around my way in the last few days. Got skuned two days in a row on friday and saturday for geese. once in DE and once in PA. We did kil 7 geese today. (northern new castle county)

#3 ·
Slaughtered them at Kelly Island last week. We were just 11 birds shy of our two man limit! Small number of birds, maybe 50 flying all around that marsh, but none would commit. Most ended up out in the Delaware. Ended with just one hen mallard. Saw 3 Canadas all morning. Not three flocks, just 3 birds. ? I was expecting more...

Gonna try again tomorrow at my super secret top producing spot. Except that its no secret (state lottery at Augustine) and it hasn't been either super or productive yet this year, but the dog gets to run around and get his energy out and at least I get to see a nice sunrise and get fresh air....

#6 ·
Had an incredible hunt today, 20ft hole in the ice and all decoying birds. Birds were anywhere this morning. After the wind picked up we had large flocks of pintails, about 50 plus birds circling and large flocks shovelers, at one point 75 plus decoy into our little hole. We stop shooting shovelers and waited for the pintails for our last two birds. Done at 930 and still had birds decoying when we were packing up and picking up decoys. The birds are on the move this morning, just a beautiful sight to see. Ended with 1 teal, 2 pintails, 5 shovelers, 1 mallard, 1 gadwall, 2 blacks, 2 sawbills.

#9 ·
Went on a mid morning exploratory mission today. After getting the boat stuck on top of the ice I decided to go to plan B. Set up with 20 decoys out about 10am. Five minutes in had a black lock up and come right into the decoys. Another five minutes went by and this Canada was cursing around. No goose decoys out but a couple honks on the call and it was game on. Slowed down a bit for an hour or two with a buffy and mergy to break it up a bit. Then the wind decided to move the boat, after resetting 15 minuted later it decided to do it again. So I reset the boat, with the boat blind have down and me standing outside of the boat, I catch something out of the corner of my eye, about ten pintails locked up coming right in. I stop and watch, wings cupped and I'm standing there without my gun. I look over at my gun and think I can reach it, I'll roll over the side and roll back out. So I go for it, grab it and roll back out. They flared a bit but cupped again, I bet I waited a full ten seconds and took two shots. Two drakes down, nice way to end the day. Nice not getting up at 330, and shooting my favorite birds. Anyone else been out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.