Where To Use My Boat Blind???

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Postby deducker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:13 pm

you can use it for snow goose hunting on the hook. it's the best public waterfowling available in the state of delaware. the only problem is it's m/w/f only. get yourself 2 dozen snow goose floaters and find out.
deducker
hunter

Postby JohnM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:10 am

Sounds great,I know there were a ton of snow geese around last year!!
What about the duck hunting?Do you hunt there a lot?
Local 313, NAHC LM, DU,NRA

Trying To Teach An Old Dog Some New Tricks
JohnM
hunter

Postby JohnM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 am

DaffyDucking- Havent heard from you yet.Would very much like to here your input, THANKS!!

JohnM
hunter

Postby deducker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:01 pm

you can't duck hunt on the hook in the snow goose area, but it's a wonderful show.
deducker
hunter

Postby JohnM » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:58 pm

I drove down to the office and got the info for waterfowl hunting this afternoon. It looks like a good area hunt.The lady said that some guys dont even use decoys, they just wait for the snows to come in.Check this out I have 16 canada floaters and I think if I take the heads off my buddies snow shells will fit right over them.That will give me 20 snows with the 4 snow floaters I already own.
Do you duck hunt on the other zones?If so how is it and is it crowded?

JohnM
hunter

Postby deducker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:00 pm

just buy some old goose floaters. somebody always has some carrylites or flambeaus they want to get rid of. then just wash them and get some flat white and gray spray paint. snow goose hunting on the hook is a man's game. if you don't have success at first don't give up. it'll make you a better waterfowler. you'll figure it out soon enough. if you can afford them. use hevi-shot 3in #2. you'll slay em. i hope your boat is big enough to haul a two man limit of 30 snows :lol: it might take most of the day but it can be done.
deducker
hunter

Postby JohnM » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:59 am

I dont know ,do you think my 20' war eagle is big enough? :shades:
I guess the best spot to put my boat in is Port Mahon?When is the best time to snow goose hunt there,during the regular season or the spring?

JohnM
hunter

trash left

Postby emt-rbrown » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:34 pm

i come out to delaware about every 2 years for a family reunion. for the last 30 years, every time i see more and more trash left on the banks where we crab. its getting pretty bad. last time i picked up a 30gallon bag full and didnt even touch a part of it. but what can you do about it toss them in the river (people not trash). one day im hoping to make it out there duck hunting with my layout boat. one day i would like to move out to the delmarva penninsula if i win the lottery. prices a little to pricie for a paramedic and a teacher.

thank for listening to me complain.
emt-rbrown
hunter

Postby Daffy Ducking » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:21 pm

Hey JohnM try pretty much anywhere on the river with a pop up blind you can't go wrong other than distance from other blinds and houses! Yes a 20' boat is too big for Bombay Hook. That water is only @ a foot or two deep. I have pushed a canoe across that thing and don't even try to get out!!!!! That mud is so deep and smells so bad!! Take it from me! :mad: There is definitely a lot of Snows there. I have done well on the Canadians from the pits too. Best thing to do is scout the areas out. I have checked a few places already that I wanna try this season. Best of Luck you. :thumbsup:
Ever lay in bed at nite and hear geese honk and ducks quackin????
Daffy Ducking
State Moderator

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:19 am

Thanks for the input Daffy!! :thumbsup: Theres so much input to be gained on this site I love it!!!
This year is going to be a lot of trial and error so I can find a good place to use my boat and blind.Most of the time I wish I did not buy such a big boat, but at the time there were going to be 4 or 5 of my buddies hunting out of it.For reasons I am still unclear of I lost the most experianced duck hunter and his brother.I say it is his loss!!! Im loving the challenge of waterfowl hunting and getting a lot better at calling, especially my goose call. The knowledge that I have gaind from experienced waterfowlers on this site is great and I can not wait to use them this season. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JohnM
hunter

Postby Daffy Ducking » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:06 pm

It is nice when you can get advice from fellow hunters when you need it. I have gotten advice on a few issues myself and I was very pleased with the results! :thumbsup:
Ever lay in bed at nite and hear geese honk and ducks quackin????
Daffy Ducking
State Moderator

Previous

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting