Sea ducks on Delaware Bay

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Sea ducks on Delaware Bay

Postby Birdmandave » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:14 am

Anyone know if there are many seaducks on the Delaware Bay yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Birdmandave
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Sea ducks on Delaware Bay

Postby cedar creek sam » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:43 am

Appear to be lots of scoters (hundreds earlier this month, like 5 days ago) and Old Squaws sighted from Cape May so it's a pretty good bet that they're both in Delaware Bay. Maybe closer to the mouth as the OS in particular like to feed in a bay and fly out to the ocean at dusk. The ocean off of Ocean City always has a lots of scoters and that's where Pitboss likes to take his folks, so they're probably in the Delaware as well as Chesapeake bay.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:11 pm

I am supposed to be going to R.I. Dec 28-31 to hunt with Ocean State Outfitters but the weather looks like it is going to warm up into the 50's next week. That can't be good. Any thoughts if I should bail based on weather. I know this is Delaware but you guys have experience hunting sea ducks and I don't. Thanks
don novicki
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:11 am

Checked the weather and it looks a bit warm at mid day, but I wouldn't cancel myself. We've shot scoters in t-shirts on the ocean and scoters and eiders in everything from 40 to 0 degree weather too. You'll be going out early in the AM I'm sure when it won't be super warm and the birds should be moving about at day break.

Have noticed that the OS in Barnegat aren't flying much in sunny weather this year but I think it's usually the wind that makes the real difference. The 29th forecast of rain changing to snow (at least where I found the weather) would be very desirable as it reduces visibility and forces the birds to look for sheltered area. I'm sure OSO knows how to deal with weather variables in their location and setup.

Would love to hunt with them but still don't have a firearms class certificate as I was grandfathered into a hunting lic long ago.

So I'd go whatever the weather, particularly as the sea duck season is short and winding down.

Just let us know how it turns out if you go.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:53 pm

I took an online hunter safety course because up until this year you had to have one to get a R.I.license. now that I have my certif. I see that starting THIS YEAR yuo only need to provide a hunting license from a previous season. If I would have read the reg's. I would have known that, but I didn't. I will post up when I get back. Thanks for the input........
don novicki
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks very much for noting that as I hadn't noticed that change either which is why I did the online NJ course but haven't finished it up. I'm trying to get a trip to Cape Cod together for Jan. for eiders but now RI might be an alternative though I know the Cape waters better than RI at this point

If you end up with an empty spot in the boat for your hunt let me know as I'm in Ct. part of the time and hitting RI isn't a long drive!
CC SAM

cedar creek sam
hunter

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting