Newbian to site.

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Newbian to site.

Postby B-diggs » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:59 pm

Just discovered this site a few weeks ago seems great. I do plenty of salt water fishing down here from estero to chokoloskee and like to duck hunt as well. Been duck hunting down here for two seasons and have been strictly hunting the everglades marshes usually do alright with teal, mottleds and an occasional whistling, hooded m, and coots. Hunted Delaware bay before moving to FL very different. Got 2 teal during the mini season but the skeeters chased me out. Look forward to sharing info with fellow fl duck hunters. Would be more than happy to hook up with someone and trade hunts. I hunt out of a canoe but would like to try a small jon boat with a mud motor where I hunt.
B-diggs
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:09 pm

Where are you hunting in the Glades. I just moved away from Miami and had hunted L-67 from both the north at Holiday Park and the south from Tamiami Trail. Used an outboard, but you're right, and mud buddy is the best bet. Have to give you credit for hunting the glades from a canoe though!
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby B-diggs » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:08 pm

What is L-67 I am hunting small bays off the east trail.
B-diggs
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:31 pm

L-67 is the canal that runs north-northeast from US 41 (Tamiami Trail) about 15 miles west of Krome in Dade to Holiday Park on US 27 in Broward.
From the Dade side, there are marsh access points #8-6 in that order at about 7-12 miles north on the canal. There is also an airboat trail directly off Tamiami about 1/2 mile west of L-67 that runs N parallel to L-67.
From the Broward side, there are marsh access points #1-5 if you run south on L-67 about 3-8 miles. There is also an old airboat trail off of one of the intersecting canals about 1 mile from Holiday Park.
My best hunting has come off of the two airboat trails, but both of these are brutal on outboards (my poor old Yamaha can vouch for this). Its much easier with a mud buddy or airboat, although the recent high waters (3-4 ft) have made it an easier ride.
I would recomend checking out Terra Server, Google Maps, or downloading Google Earth to use satellite photos to aid in scouting. Google maps is the easiest to use and is free. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:50 pm

PS. The area is managed as Francis S. Taylor WMA, so more info is available at myfwc.com and you will be required to have a wildlife management permit ($26). And where is the east trail that you referred to?
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby B-diggs » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:07 pm

Thanks dead ringer maybe next season I will have a mudbuddy and explore that area a bit far to drive for a one day hunt for me. This yaer has been great so far better than the last 2 for sure so i am not looking for a new spot this year. We call 41 the east trail over here because it runs east to Miami.
B-diggs
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:13 pm

Are you hunting the freshwater marsh or the salt of 10,000 Islands? Always thought of heading out there and trying it out west, but never new where to go.
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby jedisme » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:53 pm

you guys might enjoy this site mostly floridians americanwaterfowlers.com
jedisme
hunter

Postby B-diggs » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 am

I am on there also under the same screen name.
B-diggs
hunter

Postby BILL COLLECTER » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:09 pm

i just started hunting STA 3-4 and its been unbielevable..........yall need 2 get out there and shoot em up.... no need 2 drive all the way 2 the lake plenty of ducks 2 be killed....

me n they boys have went out twice and came back with 48 ducks
... a bunch of blue wings....ringers...greenwings, a few pintails.. a few mottleds and even a blue bill.
take em'
BILL COLLECTER
Newb

Return to Florida Duck Hunting