STA 3/4 Question

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

STA 3/4 Question

Postby SubDuck » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:40 am

I drew an afternoon permit for STA 3/4 just wondering how is the typical afternoon hunt? I never hunted there before and decided to submit and was lucky to get picked. :beer:
"Only at sea can a man truly be free"
SubDuck
hunter

Re: STA 3/4 Question

Postby Ichabod97 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:50 pm

funny you asked because i was wondering the same thing. drew a permint for Dec. 18th for the afternoon. hoping for good things...

stories anyone?
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby snipeshooter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:41 pm

We did good in the afternoon there last year. Get there early so you are first in line to pick your spot and see which spots are produceing good hunts that morning and that will give you a idea which numbers have birds that day.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby chris305 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:51 pm

You can do very good there if you know were to go. That's the only sta that you actually have to scout to get into the birds really well. I live half an hour from there if you you guys make it down here and have an extra seat give me a shout 7868730067. Chris
chris305
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:52 pm

thanks for the info guys...and i've i have an extra seat i'll give you a ring.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:17 am

im not an STA expert but form the few times ive been and after talking to people i know that hunt it.... i would stand on the dike and watch for a few before i went in blind. Scouting is great but those of us that live 6+ hours away can't do that. The way they work is you get in line and its FCFS for a parking spot. once you push off into the marsh you can go anywhere you want. i would stand there and watch the action and decide what area has less people and more birds then head that direction. Your gonna get your birds that's not the issue. They have almost more ducks that skeeters in that place. The best comparision i ever heard came from the FWC head of game and fish.... they called it a dove shoot for ducks... That's exactly what it is. You could kill just as many birds and maybe even do it faster without decoys
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby randy clark » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:52 am

jims got the answer . intell is best if you have friends hunting the week before you that helps also. 3/4 is huge standing on the dike is a good idea, but sometimes people are racing to get to a hot spot. you can get skunked there
member lake jessup duck club
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
randy clark
hunter

Postby ekim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:31 pm

hunt-chessies

I have to disagree Decoys seem to increase the odds for us as. The ducks do actually land in them. Confidence decoys and just a few regular ones seem to do the trick. A mojo duck never hurts.

My little one killed her first water bottle last week in 5. The gun was a little long for her and we have a shorter 410 with recoil this week. We are going to try to let one land for her first duck. She is to inexperienced to try to get one on the wing. She may dispatch any that I do not fold :) She has been going with me since she was about 4. :sniper:
ekim
Newb

Postby whaknstak » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:27 am

This thread is other three years old bud.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:33 am

New guys really like diggin up posts from the grave :fingerhead:
You pay for you!

Return to Florida Duck Hunting