who else is getting buffleheads???

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

who else is getting buffleheads???

Postby Dalton Wells » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:03 pm

im hunting in north banana river in Cocoa Beach and we are getting lots of buffleheads each time.i was wondering if anyone else is having the same luck.let me know!!
Attachments
168649_168721263171348_100001004276194_344366_3149996_n.jpg
163856_168720513171423_100001004276194_344352_4973322_n.jpg
Dalton Wells
Newb

Re: who else is getting buffleheads???

Postby astrobud311 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:47 pm

I've seen several around town in the retention ponds grouped up with some ringers but I haven't seen one while out shooting which sucks cause I would really like to get a nice drake to mount. I've never shot a buffie but I heard they taste like crap? Nice bird by the way, and welcome to DHC that's one of the best first post I've seen!
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Duck Junkies Field Staff
Virginia Beach, VA
Serving In The Greatest NAVY In The World
astrobud311
hunter

Postby Tuff5254 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:52 pm

I hate to be the carrier of bad news but ill use my first post to keep you out of alot of trouble....
Acording to the MINWR rules and regs phamplet the waters of the banana river are closed to hunting at all times!
I hate to take a good spot from a fellow duck hunting brother but also dont want to see one go to jail either, and trust me when i say the Feds over there do there job very well.
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby wingmaster99 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:01 pm

that looks like 1 buffle head...not alot? :huh:
09/10 season-
Coots-4
Hen wood ducks-1
wingmaster99
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Dalton Wells » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Tuff5254 wrote:I hate to be the carrier of bad news but ill use my first post to keep you out of alot of trouble....
Acording to the MINWR rules and regs phamplet the waters of the banana river are closed to hunting at all times!
I hate to take a good spot from a fellow duck hunting brother but also dont want to see one go to jail either, and trust me when i say the Feds over there do there job very well.

the river IS NOT closed, yes, most of it is, but the islands S. of minutemen causeway are not.Trust me , i am a cocoa beach native(so is my dad, who has hunted the river for 50 years) and my friends hunt the river a lot.We have been checked by FWC a few times and they never said that we werent alowed to hunt there.just trust me here, kid
Dalton Wells
Newb

Postby Dalton Wells » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:52 pm

astrobud311 wrote:I've seen several around town in the retention ponds grouped up with some ringers but I haven't seen one while out shooting which sucks cause I would really like to get a nice drake to mount. I've never shot a buffie but I heard they taste like crap? Nice bird by the way, and welcome to DHC that's one of the best first post I've seen!

Thanks! i have some old family recipies that can make even megansers taste good.Happy hunting bud!
Dalton Wells
Newb

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Nice looking buffie there man and :welcome: to DHC . :beer:
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby Tuff5254 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:09 pm

Dalton Wells wrote:
Tuff5254 wrote:I hate to be the carrier of bad news but ill use my first post to keep you out of alot of trouble....

the river IS NOT closed, yes, most of it is, but the islands S. of minutemen causeway are not.Trust me , i am a cocoa beach native(so is my dad, who has hunted the river for 50 years) and my friends hunt the river a lot.We have been checked by FWC a few times and they never said that we werent alowed to hunt there.just trust me here, kid

I must have misunderstood you, when you stated you were hunting the north banana river i didnt think you ment the south river around the mintuemen causeway, I thought you were talking about the "north banana river" which is up around the NASA area and MINWR which is closed. Sorry, Im just relaying what i was told by my good friend who IS an FWC officer. Kid?? Dont judge people you dont know! Good luck hunting!
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby halojmpr » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Funny how locality dictates the birds you see. Way to many buffies over here .... easy to target if you want to.

Me ..... I take all comers when they are flying ..... unless of course I'm limited that is :)

Nice shootin!
Your actions speak so loudly I can't hear what you're saying.
halojmpr
hunter

Postby Dalton Wells » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:30 pm

halojmpr wrote:Funny how locality dictates the birds you see. Way to many buffies over here .... easy to target if you want to.

Me ..... I take all comers when they are flying ..... unless of course I'm limited that is :)

Nice shootin!

where is "over here" at, man ?
Dalton Wells
Newb

Postby wcp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:55 am

Surfing the web and saw this dated post about duck huning in the 1000 Islands in Cocoa Beach. I quit countng the years but hunting in the city limits was banned at least 20 yrs ago. Probably when Mr. Wells Jr was only a gleam in his dad's eyes. The 1000 Islands are within the city limits and it doesn't matter which side of Minuteman Causeway you are on...all of them are closed for duck hunting. I have yet to see Cocoa Beach open hunting up in their city again. I moved to Cocoa Beach in 1956 with my parents and grew up ducking hunting in those islands. Now I live across the river and look out at those islands. A few ducks are still around but not many.

Bill P.
wcp
Newb

Postby marshnole11 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:20 pm

incorrect. all city and county firearm regulations are now null and void unless the area is a preserve or park that has no hunting signage include in the boundary.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:49 pm

marshnole11 wrote:incorrect. all city and county firearm regulations are now null and void unless the area is a preserve or park that has no hunting signage include in the boundary.

This. Preemption states that only only the Florida legislature can regulate firearms. County/municipalities are subject to lawsuits for enforcing illegal ordinances.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby flashalexb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:51 pm

whaknstak wrote:
marshnole11 wrote:incorrect. all city and county firearm regulations are now null and void unless the area is a preserve or park that has no hunting signage include in the boundary.

This. Preemption states that only only the Florida legislature can regulate firearms. County/municipalities are subject to lawsuits for enforcing illegal ordinances.

Correct. Feel free to look up house bill 45. I keep a copy of it I'm my boat.
Duck commander
flashalexb
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Also look at statute 790.15

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 pm

So the question would be what do they consider a public place in 790.15 a mall, store, public lake? They would have to define public place to be clear, but they won't.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:26 pm

FreedomHunter wrote:So the question would be what do they consider a public place in 790.15 a mall, store, public lake? They would have to define public place to be clear, but they won't.

Thats the issue with the law. Its extremely broad and can easily be misinterpreted.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:39 am

I usually pass on buffleheads in favor of bigger ducks
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby Moultrie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358162723.486985.jpg
never found a bird so easy to shoot.
Moultrie
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:40 am

FreedomHunter wrote:So the question would be what do they consider a public place in 790.15 a mall, store, public lake? They would have to define public place to be clear, but they won't.

anyplace that is not private would be public. discharge in a mall or store would land you bigger problems than .15 unless it was justified self defense (agg assault with deadly weapon) Anyplace "expressly approved for hunting by the FWC" would regulate discharge in any WMA, state or nat forrest, as well as any body of public water within the state. If hunting is closed per FWC, then it is not expressly approved for hunting and a discharge of a firearm at that time could result in legal consequences.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby bbbb » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 am

Buffleheads. Yeah we got them thick over here.

bbbb
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:15 am

whaknstak wrote:

anyplace that is not private would be public. discharge in a mall or store would land you bigger problems than .15 unless it was justified self defense (agg assault with deadly weapon) Anyplace "expressly approved for hunting by the FWC" would regulate discharge in any WMA, state or nat forrest, as well as any body of public water within the state. If hunting is closed per FWC, then it is not expressly approved for hunting and a discharge of a firearm at that time could result in legal consequences.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby wcp » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Cocoa Beach still has no firearms discharged in their city limits on the books. It has been an ordinance for a long time and as of a couple days ago it was still there. They also have signs posted in the islands that say no hunting. All I can say is after being a past resident (and currently live 3 miles across the river) in CB several decades...if you shoot a firearm anywhere inside the city limits they will arrest you. You may get away with it in the islands due to the time it takes one of their officers to get in a boat and find you. The FWC doesn't have jurisdiction over CB's ordinances and may not know what it is either. I personally don't want to challenge Cocoa Beach in a pixxing contest over law interpretation but good luck to those who do.

bp

Here's a note from the FWC in response to my inquiry the other day...

Thank you for contacting the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The response to your concerns appears below.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, please reply and let us know how we can assist you. You may follow the link below to login and check the status of your account.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject

Hunting at Cocoa Beach Islands

Discussion Thread

Response Via Email (OED-NERO)

01/14/2013 08:01 AM

Good morning Mr. Pxxxxxxx and thank you for contacting the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

In general, waterfowl hunting in Florida is permitted on any water body that has public access, unless it is closed for a specific reason, such as being in a park or in an area where the discharge of firearms is prohibited. Wildlife management areas (WMAs), water management district (WMD) lands, and national wildlife refuges (NWRs) that offer duck hunting may have special permit requirements and restrictions on when and where you can hunt. Regional offices of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) can provide additional information on WMAs and other duck hunting areas. Please check with city or county law enforcement agencies for specific firearm discharge regulations on public water bodies prior to hunting.

A listing and additional information about public waterfowl hunting areas is on the Web at http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/waterfowl/.

Florida's National Wildlife Refuges - http://www.fws.gov/southeast/maps/fl.html

Water Management Districts - http://www.dep.state.fl.us/secretary/watman/

Please feel free to contact your regional office at 352-732-1225 with any questions or concerns.

Northeast Region Customer Service

Customer By Web Form

01/13/2013 12:12 PM

Is duck hunting legal in Cocoa Beach in the islands south of 520 and Minuteman Causeway?

Thanks,
Bill xxxxxx

[---001:001641:36287---]
wcp
Newb

Postby troutman561 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 pm

The recent passing of statue 790.33 allows firearms to be discharged within any city limits, regardless of what local ordinances say. If you get arrested, the officer is subject to be fired and never allowed to work in Fl as an officer again and the agency who he was under can be fined at least $5000. Any signage indicated a bird sanctuary must be posted every 500ft. Any publicly accessible water that doesn't fall in a preserve, sanctuary, or park is where legal hunting can take place.
troutman561
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:32 am

troutman561 wrote:The recent passing of statue 790.33 allows firearms to be discharged within any city limits, regardless of what local ordinances say. If you get arrested, the officer is subject to be fired and never allowed to work in Fl as an officer again and the agency who he was under can be fined at least $5000. Any signage indicated a bird sanctuary must be posted every 500ft. Any publicly accessible water that doesn't fall in a preserve, sanctuary, or park is where legal hunting can take place.

This. See another thread for more details.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1988531#p1988531

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting