making a wood duck pond

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

making a wood duck pond

Postby t-ville » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:34 pm

near my house is a very small creek. its only about 6 feet wide in the smallest part, but there's several smaller runoff creeks in the same area. ive seen wood ducks on several occasions, but they were in small groups of 4-5 in the creek. i was wondering, if i was able to dig and reroute some of these smaller runoff creeks and flood an area if this would work better to attract them. i was also thinking about putting some corn out to help attract them better. any ideas would be apprectiated.
t-ville
hunter

Postby jedisme » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:41 am

putting corn out would probably be considered baiting. as for the creek i would just sit beside get a general idea of where they're going to and then set up to shoot it the next day.
jedisme
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:26 pm

We have the same kind of situation. But we are already under way with our project. Something unique about ours is that we have a lot of land on one side of the creek that is lower elevation than the creek. So all we did was dig down on the side of the creek and put a 6 inch pipe down in it and sealed it back over. Then we built a berm to stop up the water way down where we want it to stop. Then we just open the pipe and let the water flow. We have created 18 acres of water. And we get the woodies like crazy. Thats with NO food in it. YET. we are planning on crontrolling the draining of it to wear we will begin the growing of seeded water plants on the edges, but when you stop the water draining every so often it will start the plants growing all over the place. If the land is higher than the bank of the creek all over I would just damn it (if its possible) and try to get at least 4 acres flooded with it. That would probably bring them.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby t-ville » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm

well...i wish i could get 4 acres out of it. unfortunately, i'll be lucky if i can get 1/2-1 full acre. the area is VERY small, however there are wood ducks down there every so often, and i'm just trying to give them a place thats a little bit bigger to go.
t-ville
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:26 pm

hmmm maybe pictures would be of help.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Re: making a wood duck pond

Postby kg4yus » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:33 pm

t-ville wrote:near my house is a very small creek. its only about 6 feet wide in the smallest part, but there's several smaller runoff creeks in the same area. ive seen wood ducks on several occasions, but they were in small groups of 4-5 in the creek. i was wondering, if i was able to dig and reroute some of these smaller runoff creeks and flood an area if this would work better to attract them. i was also thinking about putting some corn out to help attract them better. any ideas would be apprectiated.

First this would have to be your property or have a written agreement with owner.
Second you will need to get an Environmental Impact Study done by the Florida DEP or DEP in your state but I am assuming your in Florida. . That will be a time and money consuming ordeal.
I would not try this without the proper permitting, the first person to call and say , "all of a sudden the little creek behind my house went dry" the authorities would be on you like a duck on a junebug. they would probably jack the jail up just to put you under it.

Good luck :thumbsup: I hope you can make it work for you.
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting