Off season project already?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Postby bbbb » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:29 am

Main duck season hasn't started and I'm already buying an offseason project to work on.

Hoping to make this into a marsh type boat.
bbbb
hunter

Postby bbbb » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:31 am

Maybe like these Sunfish conversions.

bbbb
hunter

Re: Off season project already?

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Good luck, I'm loving that first conversion photo. How are you planning on powering that thing?
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:07 am

Definitly has some potential, are you going to make a transom?
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby bbbb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Here is where I'm at so far. Got the boat cut down to 11ft. Got the top cut out and the floatation removed.

So it will have a transom for at least a trolling motor and maybe for a 5 hp longtail. Image

bbbb
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Lookin good, plywood and then glass it back up? Are you gonna do a floor, or add any bracing in the inside? Starting to kinda resemble a four rivers boat. Keep us updated
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby allnighter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 pm

I have a buddy with on of those just sitting around and I have been trying to talk him out of it for a while.
allnighter
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:48 pm

allnighter wrote:I have a buddy with on of those just sitting around and I have been trying to talk him out of it for a while.

Yeah you need to get your hands on that
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby bbbb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:02 am

Thinking about pricing some of the composite boards at home depot/lowes to see if I can get around some of the fiberglassing. Use the composite stuff to reinforce the edges of the boat and the floor of the boat. Might cost too much to use it though.

I know I would still have to fiberglass the transom. I haven't worked much with fiberglass.
bbbb
hunter

Postby bbbb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:17 am

Here are a couple pics of how someone reinforced the side and floor and built a coaming around the cockpit to keep water out Thinking about using the composite for this so I don't have to glass it.

Then plywood for the floor.

Then 2x4 pieces glued to the top and floor of,the boat to patch the transom into.

This made it strong enough to support a 15hp motor. So it should be fine for a 5hp long tail.
Last edited by bbbb on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbbb
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:24 am

That things gonna' be nice man. :thumbsup: There's a few old sailboats around here just sitting that look like that. I've been wanting to stop and ask the owners about to build something like this...

Is there a hull number on that boat or would you have to apply for homemade title?
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:39 am

Dale....

I'd ask the guy on the 'fuge and here about how he makes his "tollers". I thinks he's ncducker or something along those lines. Maybe Paul could point you in the right direction about glassing the back in.

Looks good and should be a blast to hunt out of on the lake and around the coast.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby BigBend » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:25 am

Glassing ain't bad, that composite is expensive. Just built a deck, priced composite out and quickly went to treated lumber.deck for a house though, not a boat. If you do decide to fiberglass yourself, wait for a warm day because it's easier with curing time and wear gloves.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby bbbb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 am

Yeah, I figured I could probably do it all with 3, maybe 4 of the 10 ft composite planks.

Then I have to put that price up against the wood, resin and fiberglass cloth/tape.

Looking at some of these builds, I'm not sure how much of the boat they are fiberglassing anyways.

One guy used red cedar for his coaming because it won't rot. Well if it won't rot, why fiberglass it?

Pace, there are SO MANY of these builds on duckhuntingchat.com, duckhunter.net, duckboats.net etc that I have more than enough ideas without asking a "master builder" aka ncsuducker. Plus I bought the boat for $20 and only plan to put another $100 into it. It's not gonna be a "master build". The main thing I'm looking for is something that will float than I can use at these lakes with HP and blind restrictions since my main rig is too big. Definately not gonna be a stump jumper.
bbbb
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 am

bbbb wrote:I bought the boat for $20 and only plan to put another $100 into it. It's not gonna be a "master build".

Hahahahah.....kinda like keeping that GDSD stock...?

You don't 1/2 arse anything, it'll turn out great and keep the pictures coming.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby bbbb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:10 pm

BigBend wrote:that composite is expensive. Just built a deck, priced composite out and quickly went to treated lumber.deck for a house though, not a boat.

Well a quick search shows a pressure treated deck board at $7 or a composite board at $25.

$75 versus $21. :huh:
bbbb
hunter

Postby bbbb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Got the coaming done.

Gonna use PVC to support the sides.

Thinking of using Great Stuff and spraying it on the floor and then slapping a sheet of hardboard on top of it.

Still got to do the transom and fiberglass it in. I'm putting off the fiberglassing as long as I can. Probably not as big a deal as I'm making. Image

bbbb
hunter

Postby BigBend » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:08 pm

looking good, im intrested in how you tie the transom in. theres some good videos on youtube on how to fiberglass :thumbsup:
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby bbbb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Pressure treated 2x4 for the transom. Now just have to cut off the excess around the transom and fiberglass on a warm dry day.
bbbb
hunter

Postby BigBend » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Did you end up doing the 2x4's on the top and bottom to tie in the transom?
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby bbbb » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:42 am

BigBend wrote:Did you end up doing the 2x4's on the top and bottom to tie in the transom?

Ha ha...no actually I forgot that step. But I am going to go back and do it. Not having my transom cut square yet, I didn't want to guess wrong about where to place each 2x4. I can do it from the inside now and snug them up against the transom, then screw them into the 2x12.

Not looking to put than a 6 horse longtail or trolling motor so don't think the transom needs to be beefed up too much.
bbbb
hunter

Postby allblack229 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 am

Hows the project going. I just started my sailboat/layout conversion and was checking to see if you had anymore pictures of the progress?
allblack229
hunter

Postby bbbb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Got most everything done but the fiberglassing. Seems its either too cold or raining when I have time.

Right now, I just want to fiberglass the transom in and get it in the water.

Might even slap a coat of paint on it for the maiden voyage so it doesn't look too redneck'ish.
bbbb
hunter

Postby allblack229 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Cut mine today, not sure if I want to try and use the nose piece I cut off or if I should just use fiberglass to mold a whole new front. The front sat up a good ways out of the water so I cut a nice wedge out of it. I still am not sure how I want to add strength to the sides, I guess I will just cut wood supports. I took pictures and will upload the soon.
allblack229
hunter

Postby bbbb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Anybody in the Tallahassee area want to finish this project up?

$100 so I can recoup some of the money I've spent on materials. I have a couple sheets of fiberglass and some resin to finish the transom, and plug the drain hole, then its ready to float.

I just don't have the time to finish it up.

Gonna stick it on Craigslist Friday.
bbbb
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting