its a good thing i got up early.

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Postby allnighter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:15 am

So that I could get on my spot and them make so many new friends as they set up right next to me. Poeple need to understand that by doing that they are screwing themselves also. If that had any experience or common sence they would know how to set up and have it work for both of us. Where's that megaphone when you need it.
allnighter
hunter

Re: its a good thing i got up early.

Postby whaknstak » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:37 am

People are retarded. Had two guys wed think that turning off their running lights after i shined em made it ok to set up on me, and that they were being slick. That just makes you more of a douche .
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:59 am

speaking of retarded I had 2 airboats do 360's around me yesterday, one of the guys lost control of his airboat slid sideways threw my decoys, knocked over my mojo and destroyed it and slid about 3 feet from plowing into my kayak. After I jumped up and pointed my shotgun in the old bastards face they had the nerve to pull 60 yards directly in from of me and laugh thier asses off for about an hour.

I called FWC and reported it but I never got a phone call back about what happened. I doubt they even got in trouble. All i got was a couple broken decoys and enough mud and water to cover everything I own. To say the least I won't be going duck hunting this weekend.

If you guys know anyone in citrus county with a big ass yellow or blue airboat chromed out with 8 blade paddle props and super charged chevy motors send me a PM. They were driving 4 door jacked up trucks. One was blue and chrome the other was a greyish color. You can't miss these airboats. I want a new mojo and an apology. I think they were out of crystal river or broosville.
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:04 am

I got out there at 430 this morning, thought all was good until daylight, when I noticed a guy in a kayak had snuck right up on me. I know he couldn't have been there when I was heading to my spot, cause I would have run over him
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby Littlelace » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:28 am

I have hunted ducks all over the country due to my carreer in the military. I grew up in Delaware where you will find some of the best waterfowl hunting in the world. I have never been around more inconsiderate hunters than I have here in Florida. We had a guy come in one morning and tell us we were on his spot in Merritt Island because we were next to his palm frons he had used the day before. The sad thing was he had kids in the boat and really acted like an ass. Did we move? YEA Right. You have guys blowing past a line of cars that have been waiting for hours to get in the refugee. I know that the majority of us are good ethical hunters and respect the work and time and money it takes to do any type of hunting. I will continue to hunt as well as teach my children and grandchilden the right rules of the road. But I will tell you this, If you set up to close to me you WILL know about it, If you blow past me while I have waited my turn you will KNOW about it, because just like with my two Labs that may not know any better I feel its the obligation of us who know the right way to train the ones who dont.

Im new to the site and look forward to listening and learning from it.

Had a good day at Merritt 6 shovlers, 3 B/W Teal and one Ring Neck
Littlelace
Newb

Postby Remman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 pm

it is just as bad here in GA, spotlights are useless... switching to a megaphone!! :thumbsup:

Catfish, I hope you get some compensation for that mojo..
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tknight006 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Hunted STA 3/4 yesterday afternoon and got to my spot early since I was one of the front cars. 15 minutes before shooting time, 3 guys came wading through the water and we heard them post up on the back side of the grass we were in (probably 30 yards) I walked to the edge of so they could see us, and one guy recognized they were wrong and said they should move, his buddy said...and I quote "I don't give a f@%k...we'll just shoot over their decoys, and ours"..

I always read posts of inconsiderate hunter stories, and fortunately have had few experiences, this one got me fired up though.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby Belly up dux » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:08 pm

It is sad that so many people think they own areas. Airboaters seem to be the worst. Maybe you can pay a visit to the boat ramp during daylight hours and get some satifaction. :huh:
Belly up dux
State Moderator

Postby duckhunter48 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:17 pm

two saturdays ago, i got to the lake at 3 30 to set up some brush to hide in on a public lake. had to run back to town to get something so i put a light on a pvc pole and stuck it right next to my blind. came back to 2 jack offs that had stole my light, had 2 mojos set up and were throwing decoys out. they were kindly told that they were going to leave. and they did bc i dont play around with that b.s. if i beat you to a spot, you will not be setting up there, or anywhere i feel is too close to there. if you do i will run you down shine a q-beam in your face and ask you to leave....nicely of course.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby sigalphjoe44 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:05 pm

^ A few years back on opening day we pulled into our hole at 3am and found someone had thrown out their decoys the night before so I collected them up and tossed them off to the side and set up our own spread. at 6:05 some airboat yahoo blazed into our deeks and said we were in his deeks and I pointed to his and said those were actually his. he tried to convince us to leave and come back when he had shot his limit but I kindly let him know that if everyone threw out their stuff the night before then the lake would be covered in junk and that he should kick rocks.

i agree with 99.9% of everything that people complain about on this site, especially airboaters. however, essentially what your saying you did here is the same as throwing out your decoys the night before. If you left that stuff out on the lake and then rode back into town, even if but just for an hour, then FWC considers that abandoned property and ripe for the pickin. Your entitled to your property being returned but I dont agree with you being entitled to that spot. No offense ofcourse.
sigalphjoe44
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:09 am

sigalphjoe44 wrote:^

i agree with 99.9% of everything that people complain about on this site, especially airboaters. however, essentially what your saying you did here is the same as throwing out your decoys the night before. If you left that stuff out on the lake and then rode back into town, even if but just for an hour, then FWC considers that abandoned property and ripe for the pickin. Your entitled to your property being returned but I dont agree with you being entitled to that spot. No offense ofcourse.

x2
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:43 pm

duckhunter48 wrote:two saturdays ago, i got to the lake at 3 30 to set up some brush to hide in on a public lake. had to run back to town to get something so i put a light on a pvc pole and stuck it right next to my blind. came back to 2 jack offs that had stole my light, had 2 mojos set up and were throwing decoys out. they were kindly told that they were going to leave. and they did bc i dont play around with that b.s. if i beat you to a spot, you will not be setting up there, or anywhere i feel is too close to there. if you do i will run you down shine a q-beam in your face and ask you to leave....nicely of course.

Agree with the one before. When you left your spot, it was no longer your spot, light or decoy or whatever. The only way to hold a spot is to be sitting in it on public land. I would not have stolen anything, but if that was where I was planning on setting up, we would have had a problem. I always try to be polite and reason with people, but there are ethics that are more important and supercede laws. One of them is on public land, the only way to hold a spot is to be in it, no excpetions.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:39 pm

duckhunter48 wrote:two saturdays ago, i got to the lake at 3 30 to set up some brush to hide in on a public lake. had to run back to town to get something so i put a light on a pvc pole and stuck it right next to my blind. came back to 2 jack offs that had stole my light, had 2 mojos set up and were throwing decoys out. they were kindly told that they were going to leave. and they did bc i dont play around with that b.s. if i beat you to a spot, you will not be setting up there, or anywhere i feel is too close to there. if you do i will run you down shine a q-beam in your face and ask you to leave....nicely of course.

If the situation was reversed, and you came up to an abandoned spot, would you kindly leave if they came back? or would you respectfully apologize but let them know you were going to stay put. This is a classic example of you got out, and they got in. Or if you watch Eastbound & Down, your effin out. im effin in.

Not trying to hate, but aside from stealing your light I dont really think they did anything unethical or wrong. Im glad they were kind enough to leave, although it sounds like they didnt want to deal with the hassle of a pissing match with you. What did you leave that was so imperitive to your hunt? your gun or ammo? not many things Ill leave the blind for (cut off shirt sleeves = toilet paper). Either way sounds like the best case scenario came out for you.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby On Island Time » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Littlelace wrote:I have hunted ducks all over the country due to my carreer in the military. I grew up in Delaware where you will find some of the best waterfowl hunting in the world. I have never been around more inconsiderate hunters than I have here in Florida.

I've never hunted Ducks outside of Florida...and being a Native, I'm inclined to agree with you!! I've been hunting ducks off the KCOL, Lake O and East Florida Marshes for 34 years now. I have to say it keeps getting worse. Seems as though DH Etiquette just isn't taught to new hunters. Or new hunters just don't care. I haven't been able to figure it out yet, Sooooo...I simply prepare myself before each hunt.

Oh, not mentally!! I now have an air horn in my duck box. So when I shine a guy away and he decides he wants to set up anyway, well...his hunt wont be so grand. YES...I pull a serious richard head move. Every time birds begin to work or go near I will blow the horn. Sorry...but lack of ethics will be refuted during my hunts.

Let me clarify, I will generally vocalize my displeasure with someone setting up to close by notifying them that they are pretty close. I look at it like this...when I can hear you during a normal conversation and make out what you are saying...usually that means you're too close. Anyone disagree? My guess is less than 50 yards aways. Dammitman...just give me anything 100 yards plus...I'm good with that. But close enough for me to hear your conversations and you dont move...then the horn comes out! Its been pretty successful at getting guys to move. Those that dont usually go in when they have no shooting. Believe me after years of ruined hunts, and numerous failed attempts to teach this new breed of skybusting, no ethic having hunter, I'm giving back now!
On Island Time
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:09 am

I agree with the lack of consideration that many hunters bring with them. My thoughts are more that these people are inconsiderate all together, not just when hunting. I see it with fisherman as well.

I am the type of hunter who usually gets out a little earlier than truly needed, but i don't mind sitting and waiting once set up. If a situation were to arise where I was dead set on a spot and somebody was already there or even near it.. I have no doubt that I would move since its the right thing to do.

I fear that at some point... hunters actions will eventually get someone injured or even worse.. We can't change everyones behavior, our only true option is to try to instill positive hunting styles to those that we introduce to the sport.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 am

this happens everywhere. but does seem like alot of boys in florida gettin there toes stepped on. is it the limited spots to hunt down there?
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 am

teamoutlaw wrote:this happens everywhere. but does seem like alot of boys in florida gettin there toes stepped on. is it the limited spots to hunt down there?

Everyone just likes to hunt the ducks that are easy to get too... with the dropping water over the past few years that hasn't helped either. :beer:
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting