NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby waterdogds » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Without sounding too much like your mother, don't ever wear waders when in a boat. It's so dangerous I can't stress this enough. I already know myself the dangers of this, but googled "duck hunters drowning in waders" and found out that more duck hunters die from drowning in waders than gun related fatalities. Very scary to think about. I know they help keep you from getting wet, but I'd rather get a little wet instead of drowning. It doesn't matter how good a swimmer you might be or think you are. Think about your mom and dad as well as the rest of your family the next time your out on the lake and you want to put those waders on. And please don't let someone tell you otherwise. Sorry for preaching, but I feel strongly about this and want everyone to be safe. There's not a faster way to end your duck hunting than drowning. Be safe guys.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby fordy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 pm

or wear a life vest while in the boat then take it off when you arrive at your desintation. I think it could keep you afloat while you ditch/take the waders off and swim back to saftey
fordy
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:21 pm

When it warms up a bit stand in your yard and fill your waders up with water and see what kind of suction it creates when you try to pull them off. Then think about being in the water trying to do this while your sinking. I agree that a PFD will help, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's just not worth it. Hell I think with regular gear on, pants, jacket and rubber boots it would be hard to swim or get yourself to safety.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:03 pm

This is a very interesting topic of discussion and in no way am I here to question your thoughts because I too have heard of this happening. But it brings up some thoughts.

1. If you were to sink and water was inside them as well as around them, would it negate the whole suction process?

I am a rescue swimmer in the navy, and I consider myself an above average swimmer, so I am going to put this to the test.

I have pool training this weekend, and I will bring my waders. at some point (with the supervision of multiple other rescue swimmers in the water with me to provide aid if needed) I will put my waders and jacket on and then I will jump into the portion of the pool that is roughly over my head and see what happens.

I will have a swimmer with me to aid in my recovery if I find it difficult to get out of them, as well as a small breathing device.

I think the main concern is staying calm.. My first thoughts are that having a jacket zipped up over them is going to be the biggest issue.

I think you bring up a very valid point. I almost went over the side of my boat this past weekend.

Results to follow.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:14 pm

I can appreciate you looking out for other hunters, but neoprene waders will not make you sink. Water in your waders isn't any heavier than water outside your waders, and won't drag you down like a rock. In fact, neoprene is buoyant (ever notice how easy it is to pick your feet up while wearing waders in the water?) and won't create much if any resistance while trying to swim in them. I would be willing to bet you that most hunter deaths attributed to waders are actually the result of panicking.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 pm

if you wear a wader belt while wearing neoprene waders then the air will get trapped and your waders will actually keep you bouyant. And yes neoprene waders even if they get water in them will not make you sink to the bottom.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:16 am

Wader belt and a knife in my waders front pocket to cut them away... It's dangerous but I think that falling off into a deep hole is alot more dangerous than sitting high and dry in a boat. I only wear my waders if I plan on getting out of the boat. No need to wear them if your not. Also I NEVER wear mine in a canoe or kayak...
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby Capt Jeff Kraynik » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:32 am

Just wear your life jacket.

Most duck hunters do die from drowning, in the dark when the boat is swamped & they are not wearing their life vest.

We never leave the ramp w/o wearing our waders & life jackets.

Waders for warmth & l/j's for safety.

I can tell you yhat in (20) twenty years as a police recovery diver, we never recovered a body that actually drowned wearing a l/j.

Exposure, yes.

Drowning, no!!!
"Don't take life so seriously, you'll never get out alive"

321-863-9182
Waterfowl-Alligator-Light-Tackle Saltwater Flats Fishing
Capt Jeff Kraynik
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:51 am

tknight006 wrote:This is a very interesting topic of discussion and in no way am I here to question your thoughts because I too have heard of this happening. But it brings up some thoughts.

1. If you were to sink and water was inside them as well as around them, would it negate the whole suction process?

I am a rescue swimmer in the navy, and I consider myself an above average swimmer, so I am going to put this to the test.

I have pool training this weekend, and I will bring my waders. at some point (with the supervision of multiple other rescue swimmers in the water with me to provide aid if needed) I will put my waders and jacket on and then I will jump into the portion of the pool that is roughly over my head and see what happens.

I will have a swimmer with me to aid in my recovery if I find it difficult to get out of them, as well as a small breathing device.

I think the main concern is staying calm.. My first thoughts are that having a jacket zipped up over them is going to be the biggest issue.

I think you bring up a very valid point. I almost went over the side of my boat this past weekend.

Results to follow.

Trey I believe we talked at STA 3/4 a couple weeks back in line for a afternoon hunt.
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 am

While these are all good precautions, you can't ever see an accident coming or know the severity or circumstances you might find yourself in. The fact that waders seem easy to walk in while wading is the air that's trapped. As soon as that air is released they'll fill up and there will be suction. With that said, waders may not sink when filled with water and submerged, but you add a 200 lbs man inside and my guess is your going to sink. I hate to preach or sound like I'm trying to tell you guys what to do, but the safest way to keep from getting hit by a train is to stay off the tracks. Murphys law is in effect all day everyday. Just my advice. Im definitely interested in what tknight finds out in the pool.
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:22 am

Trey I believe we talked at STA 3/4 a couple weeks back in line for a afternoon hunt.[/quote]

That sounds right, I was there the 17th. Had to leave as soon as I put my decoys in the water due to a family emergency, so I never even got to hunt... I was bummed
tknight006
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 am

That sucks you had to leave after driving all the way down. We did ok on the afternoon hunt an had a real good hunt the next morning at 5. I was the one in the Strike Zone shirt.
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 am

i have heard this both ways...but IMHO, im going to call bs on the waders making you sink or "sucking" you to the bottom of the lake, especially neoprene waders. here is my reasoning:

1. Personal experience: i have fallen out of the boat in over my head water with my waders/full hunting apparel on. I did not sink. I simply swam back to the boat and climbed in. yes, my waders were full of water when i got out, but i was not "sucked" the bottom, nor did i feel any kind of resistance other than just the weight of my clothes/waders. sure, it wasnt like swimming in a bathing suit, but i managed just fine.

2. Neoprene waders are just that, neoprene. Neoprene floats. Wetsuits are made of neoprene. They fill up with water and you will still float in them, whether you let the trapped air out or not. Why do you think divers with wetsuits use weights to keep them at certain depths?...because their wetsuit will float them to the top if they didnt.

In conclusion, I think the main problem is people panic and cannot handle themselves while under any kind of pressure. If they would just relax and handle the situation, they would be just fine.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:49 am

Here's something I found that may help us out.

http://boatsafe.wordpress.com/2011/09/2 ... ck-boat-2/
waterdogds
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:55 am

What about wearing hip boots? I am thinking as long as you have your PFD on, they wouldnt be to bad on you. I am interested in learning more about this topic.
TomKat
Dorothy

NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby Bgold » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 am

.... Neoprene waders float... Nuff said
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 am

sdeshazo wrote:That sucks you had to leave after driving all the way down. We did ok on the afternoon hunt an had a real good hunt the next morning at 5. I was the one in the Strike Zone shirt.

Yeah, it sucked... I have dreams about my STA 5 hunt. Hit up guana this morning and it was a good time.

Do you work at strike zone, or just a regular?
tknight006
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Bgold wrote:.... Neoprene waders float... Nuff said

Neoprene floats if they aren't on you. On you with air in the boots maybe a little.
I know that this is a free country guys, but I can't figure out why most of you won't take this serious. People have drown falling out of a boat in waders. IT CAN HAPPEN. The famous last words of a fool is "it won't happen to me".

Take this into consideration. There's a thread right now about PCS and some self proclaimed rookie looking to hunt there. Say no one tells him about the mud or the hidden dangers and he goes out there in a pair of waders because he's read on here that its no big deal. Next thing you know we will be reading about that guy. There's no such thing as too safe or too cautious.
waterdogds
hunter

Postby Tuff5254 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:46 pm

We can argue about this all day long. Float... Wont float.... Safe.... Unsafe..... Will Die... wont die...
I say let it be until Tknight has his weekend then we will all know for sure!
GO TK!! :thumbsup:
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:55 pm

waterdogds wrote:

Neoprene floats if they aren't on you. On you with air in the boots maybe a little.
I know that this is a free country guys, but I can't figure out why most of you won't take this serious. People have drown falling out of a boat in waders. IT CAN HAPPEN. The famous last words of a fool is "it won't happen to me".

Take this into consideration. There's a thread right now about PCS and some self proclaimed rookie looking to hunt there. Say no one tells him about the mud or the hidden dangers and he goes out there in a pair of waders because he's read on here that its no big deal. Next thing you know we will be reading about that guy. There's no such thing as too safe or too cautious.

neoprene floating has nothing to do weather its on you, off you, under water, out of water. neoprene is lighter than the weight of the water, therefore it will float whether it is under you, on you, whatever. take a carolina skiff for example, no matter how much water you put in it, cut it in half, whatever, it is still going to float bc of the material its made out of.

there is no argueing that neoprene does not float. period.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Thats all fine, but I dont like my neoprene waders. I love my breathable waders.

Will they float? Are they dangerous to wear in a boat?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 pm

if they floated you then you probebly would never get water over your waders. think about it. Waders are bouyent, but not enough to float you.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby Bgold » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:26 pm

waterdogds wrote:

Nope. Neoprene still floats...

Jack wagon people panicking is why they drown. If they would just relax they'd figure out that they were in fact positively buoyant.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:09 pm

quackhunter99 I guess I'm just wasting my time with this whole thing. Don't even know why I started this thread, seems as if everyone has got it figured out and the waders they own float. It sucks, I'm just trying to look out for people. All I see in pictures on this forum is guys in boats in waders, guys in kayaks in waders. If waders floated like everyone is claiming there would be no deaths due to boating accidents and no need for life jackets. Can someone tell me where I can get my hands on some of those anti sink waders. Thinking about getting a pair to replace my layout boat. You know, lower profile. I could mount a 2 HP on my ass maybe. :yes:
waterdogds
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Unfortunately, I have had to experience a capsized boat on a lake in the dark a.m.(lake Lafayette) One of those things you think "will never happen to you". Not a fun experience, however I was wearing my waders(neoprene) and, they did fill with water and I did not sink to the bottom. :hammer:
I was able to swim the boat over to an island(with 2 other people), take off the waders, drop motor off boat, turn the boat over, bail out the water, and paddle back to the ramp to drive home and get warm clothes on. Biggest piece of advice. Like people have said before, stay calm, make a game plan, make it happen. :thumbsup:
You pay for you!

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting