NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby waterdogds » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:33 pm

FlaWoodie wrote:Unfortunately, I have had to experience a capsized boat on a lake in the dark a.m.(lake Lafayette) One of those things you think "will never happen to you". Not a fun experience, however I was wearing my waders(neoprene) and, they did fill with water and I did not sink to the bottom. :hammer:
I was able to swim the boat over to an island(with 2 other people), take off the waders, drop motor off boat, turn the boat over, bail out the water, and paddle back to the ramp to drive home and get warm clothes on. Biggest piece of advice. Like people have said before, stay calm, make a game plan, make it happen. :thumbsup:


FlaWoodie, I'm glad you guys come out alright. But for argument sake say you where in the middle of lake seminole and lost track of where the boat was in the dark, or better yet the boat kept on going unmanned with the motor running away from you. I like my chances without waders on. But it seems that no matter what I say everyones gonna do what they want to anyways. I'm pissing in the wind man. I bet when you left your house that morning you hadn't planned on that going down.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
waterdogds
hunter
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sopchoppy, Florida


NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby Bgold » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:48 pm

... Now you're changing the argument. WADERS AREN'T THE REASON PEOPLE DROWN. They drown because they panic die to crap info like the info you provided!!
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
User avatar
Bgold
hunter
 
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby florida old guy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:49 am

I can't imagine duck hunting and not wearing waders in a boat. Bottom line is wear a good PDF whenever you are in a boat, waders or not, and you will float. Waders are not the problem, not wearing a life jacket is.
florida old guy
hunter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:55 pm

NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby Hinkelmonster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:08 am

TJ looking forward to your results....bottom line is have a plan and do your damdest to stay calm and alive!!!
User avatar
Hinkelmonster
hunter
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby waterdogds » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:18 am

:yes:
Bgold wrote:... Now you're changing the argument. WADERS AREN'T THE REASON PEOPLE DROWN. They drown because they panic die to crap info like the info you provided!!


Bgold.... That's the great thing about being an American and having a thing called free will. You go ahead and do what you want to do, but don't dare say that what I'm posting is crap info. I take it you've never had any experience with this. And yes WADERS DO CAUSE PEOPLE TO DROWN. Not everyone will respond cool and collective. Furthermore my info is not going to make people panic. I'm just trying to inform people of the possible dangers. Waders with water in them will be heavy and hinder your ability to get yourself to safety. Some things I've seen suggest that with the right actions at the time of the accident could help you stay afloat. But I've not seen the first thing that suggest that anyone who has an accident is at no risk. I have a good friend who's a Marine, and has been on two separate tours to Iraq and Afghanistan, and is currently a fire fighter in Tallahassee. He has probably seen and been in more life threatening situations than most and has duck hunted most of his adult life. He still till the day will not get in a boat in waders. You keep believing what you want. But don't you dare suggest to all readers that this is some sort of bull and that if can't happen. As I said before, if it can't happen, then why has it. If waders made you float then why have life jackets.

I still can't believe I'm having to argue this point. But like I said before, you do what you want to do, its America and you have the right to make dumb decisions. There's always gonna be over confident people like yourself that will continue to push the boundaries and there will always be deaths attributed to this. I've never seen a story that's says, waders save hunters life. Probably never will.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
waterdogds
hunter
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sopchoppy, Florida

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby tknight006 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 am

I will be conducting my waders test on saturday morning. I have a pair of neoprenes, breathables, and cheap trashbag like waders... so I will have a report for all three. I will try many situations to see what issues can arise. If anybody has a certain scenario, let me know.

If you haven't heard from me by sunday night... well, the waders won the battle.
Prostaff application pending
User avatar
tknight006
hunter
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:26 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby tknight006 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:38 am

Copied this from FW site.

An article worth reading regarding the topic.

http://fliesonly.blogspot.com/2009/10/w ... -your.html

Kinda cheesy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV7oJ8vDyLY
Prostaff application pending
User avatar
tknight006
hunter
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:26 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby Bgold » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:51 am

waterdogds wrote::yes:
Bgold wrote:... Now you're changing the argument. WADERS AREN'T THE REASON PEOPLE DROWN. They drown because they panic die to crap info like the info you provided!!


Bgold.... That's the great thing about being an American and having a thing called free will. You go ahead and do what you want to do, but don't dare say that what I'm posting is crap info. I take it you've never had any experience with this. And yes WADERS DO CAUSE PEOPLE TO DROWN. Not everyone will respond cool and collective. Furthermore my info is not going to make people panic. I'm just trying to inform people of the possible dangers. Waders with water in them will be heavy and hinder your ability to get yourself to safety. Some things I've seen suggest that with the right actions at the time of the accident could help you stay afloat. But I've not seen the first thing that suggest that anyone who has an accident is at no risk. I have a good friend who's a Marine, and has been on two separate tours to Iraq and Afghanistan, and is currently a fire fighter in Tallahassee. He has probably seen and been in more life threatening situations than most and has duck hunted most of his adult life. He still till the day will not get in a boat in waders. You keep believing what you want. But don't you dare suggest to all readers that this is some sort of bull and that if can't happen. As I said before, if it can't happen, then why has it. If waders made you float then why have life jackets.

I still can't believe I'm having to argue this point. But like I said before, you do what you want to do, its America and you have the right to make dumb decisions. There's always gonna be over confident people like yourself that will continue to push the boundaries and there will always be deaths attributed to this. I've never seen a story that's says, waders save hunters life. Probably never will.


Wow you're thick aren't you? Again waders aren't the problem. And yes, this is crap info,.. If a person falls into water with waders on thinking they're going to die they will panic and die. If a person falls in KNOWING neoprene waders float they have a better chance at staying calm.

Nobody said waders save lives. We're all simply suggesting that they are not as dangerous as you're making them out to be.

Stop being an alarmist.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
User avatar
Bgold
hunter
 
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:02 am

I am new to boating. I am not using my jon boat this winter as the motor needs some work. But this summer when I can take the time, I am going to go swimming with my neoprenes on just to see for my self. They are a pain to walk around in when I am not swimming in them. I have the 5mm Drake EQ waders, and a pair of breathables.

How many of you FL guys own 5 mm neoprenes? :yes:
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby whaknstak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:07 am

The man stated his opinion. Several people have chimed in theirs. No need for attitude. It's annoying.

I wear waders in my boat. But where I hunt, if I fall out, I simply stand up. I don't like wearing them if I can help it where water will be over my head. When I was in high school, poor and dumb with a strong back, I used to put waders on and push a little 10 ft boat across a local lake. I found it hard to swim across deep pools while holding on to the boat. Not saying impossible, just difficult. So if the water is deep, I usually leave waders in the truck. That said, falling out in water 15 ft deep, in 29 degree weather with rubber boots, four layers of clothes, and a heavy jacket could be dangerous as well.

Bottom line, we choose to participate in a potentially dangerous sport. Be cautious ALL the time, think about possible scenarios and how to react to stay alive. Hunt smart, and we won't hear about anyone on the news.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
User avatar
whaknstak
hunter
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: N Florida

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby chris_k » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:14 am

I always have my wader pockets stuffed with corndogs, which float. In case of an emergency, I know my corndogs are gonna save my life....
Last edited by chris_k on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getcha Pull!
User avatar
chris_k
hunter
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Florida

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:16 am

bgold has an indian princess riding a corndog inked on his arm. That has to count for something :biggrin:
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby waterdogds » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:20 am

Yea I'm thick headed for sure. I refuse to believe that its ok to wear waders while hunting from a boat. Waders are made for wading into waist deep water, not to tread water in. And as far as being an alarmist, I just can't figure out why the opposition to the advice. This advice is merely a safety precaution. Like not smoking cigarettes to avoid getting lung cancer. But I can see that I'm getting no where with you. Seems to me that your thick as well.

Whaknstak, thank you for your support. I'm just trying to look out for others in hopes that someone may look out for me if I'm headed in the wrong direction. But some people you just can't reason with.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
waterdogds
hunter
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sopchoppy, Florida

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:33 am

florida old guy wrote:I can't imagine duck hunting and not wearing waders in a boat. Bottom line is wear a good PDF whenever you are in a boat, waders or not, and you will float. Waders are not the problem, not wearing a life jacket is.


And PANIC, if you have always been told that the waders will drown you then you will drown trying to get them off in the water, leave them and all your clothes on,they will act as insulators even when wet but concentrate on keeping calm and
floating with a bit of swimming to the safest object.

I can't think of any better advice than what "florida old guy" has stated above, wear a life jacket, it will keep you afloat waders or not.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4367
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby Bgold » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:17 am

chris_k wrote:I always have my wader pockets stuffed with corndogs, which float. In case of an emergency, I know my corndogs are gonna save my life.


:thumbsup:

This thread is great.

Guys!! Dont ride in boats... if its sink you can drown!! Do you see the similarity....

Again, in case you missed it the first 3 times.... just becasue waders were worn when people drowned does not mean that they were the cause of the drowning, people drown every year that arent wearing waders (explain that one). Consequently, alot more people fall into deep water with waders on that DONT drown.

I dont disagree that wearing a pdf is paramount while in any boat setting.. I'm simply stating the FACT (aka not an oppinion) that falling over board with neoprene waders on is NOT an automatic death sentence. In fact, if you stay calm, having the waders on will work to your advantage by keeping you warm and insulated.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
User avatar
Bgold
hunter
 
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby jdnole0585 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:21 am

I have no doubt that my old rubber waders would take me down like a Mike Tyson left. Not sure about neoprene after watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m0_naq0 ... re=related
jdnole0585
hunter
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby whaknstak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:03 am

"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
User avatar
whaknstak
hunter
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: N Florida

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 am

No one told me they have been submereged in cold water with 5 mm neoprene waders on...
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 am

I have been beneath the ICE twice with a Snowmobile Floater Coat on if that counts for anything. But any clothes or waders or anything else you have on will act as an insulator and besides you will not be able to get anything off while in the water unless you have a serrated hook knife to cut it off and why not use your remaining energy in getting out of the cold water, if you use it all up trying to get undressed you will die.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4367
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby jdnole0585 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 pm

waterdogds wrote: All I see in pictures on this forum is guys in boats in waders, guys in kayaks in waders.


I'm a kayaker and I'll admit that sometimes I worry about wearing my waders and hope that I'll never run into trouble.When going to my spot at night I always wear my lifejacket. I usually don't, but probably should, wear one during the day. If I were in a boat I would be less likely to wear waders but in a kayak you inevitably get wet and that can be a bad combo with cold and windy weather. Wearing waders is a calculated risk and everyone should be aware that they could increase the danger level. If nothing else recognizing the potential danger may result in the user being more cautious about his/her actions on the water.
jdnole0585
hunter
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:50 pm

If I don't have my Floater Coat on I have an inflatable vest on, waders or not. An auto inflating pfd is expensive but so are funerals.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4367
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby whaknstak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:19 pm

lostknife4 wrote: An auto inflating pfd is expensive but so are funerals.


Quote of the day goes to.......lostknife
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
User avatar
whaknstak
hunter
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: N Florida

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby waterdogds » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Absolutely whaknstak, that quote says a lot in so few words. Given the amount of views this thread has gotten and only a few days old. I have accomplished what I intended to. That's raise the awareness of the potential dangers we all face doing what we love. It's was not ment to make everyone freak out. Thanks to everyone that has responded good or bad. It seems like this got some peoples attention. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
waterdogds
hunter
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sopchoppy, Florida

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 pm

waterdogds wrote:Absolutely whaknstak, that quote says a lot in so few words. Given the amount of views this thread has gotten and only a few days old. I have accomplished what I intended to. That's raise the awareness of the potential dangers we all face doing what we love. It's was not ment to make everyone freak out. Thanks to everyone that has responded good or bad. It seems like this got some peoples attention. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:


Thats fine and all, but I am more confused than I was before I read it. I still dont know much, other than I am always going to wear a life jacket in a boat
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:36 pm

AN autoinflating pdf is around $200-250.00, last time I checked a funeral is over $10 grand. Lost
Last edited by lostknife4 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4367
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Florida Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests