NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Re: NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby BigBend » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:45 pm

never bring a bannana in a boat, its bad luck.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby Tuff5254 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:59 pm

BigBend wrote:never bring a bannana in a boat, its bad luck.

And that aint no joke!!!
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Pool training moved to tomorrow...

The battle of the watergods vs waterdogs will be determined soon.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:05 pm

tknight006 wrote:Pool training moved to tomorrow...

The battle of the watergods vs waterdogs will be determined soon.

I'm eager to see what happens. I would like to know all the situations you put yourself in. Are you going to wear a PFD in any of your trials or use a wader belt? Will you wear any of your gear(Camo, pants under waders, or big jacket. Good luck with whatever you do and thank you for doing this. This will be some good first hand info that we all should be able to gain a little insight into what one could expect. Thanks again tknight. :thumbsup:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:56 am

x2
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Reid07 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Water is neutrally buoyant in water.
Neoprene floats.
Falling into the water in your waders is by no means a death sentence, and in fact would probably be safer than nothing, due to the added floatation (not to mention the insulation) provided by the neoprene. You sound like an alarmist when you say "EVERYONE THAT FALLS IN THE WATER IN WADERS ALWAYS DIES, AND WADERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL DUCK HUNTING DEATHS!!!" (Obviously slightly exaggerated). You also failed to get your point across, because you offered no reason why falling into the water while wearing waders was so dangerous. I appreciate your right to not wear your waders in your boat though. Just keep in mind that when you fall into 40 degree water, not having an insulating layer of neoprene is really gonna suck.
What do you suppose Coast Guard survival suits are made of? :evilbanana:
In all seriousness though, have a nice day, and good hunting.
Reid07
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Coast guard survival suits aren't actually made of neoprene. They use a dry suit, not a wet suit. There are tight rubber seals around the neck and wrists, with a wax coated zipper that runs from the torso up to the shoulder, with a kevlar type material on the knees and elbows to prevent tearing. You wear thermals under the suit and stay dry and cozy.

I recently went through the Coast Guards Advanced Rescue Swimmer school, so I actually witnessed this first hand. The only down side is that you sweat like crazy if the air temp is to warm.
tknight006
hunter

Postby Reid07 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Oh. well ok. Now I know lol.
Aren't the immersion suits made of neoprene? Maybe that's what I was thinking of.
Reid07
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:25 pm

The graveyards are full of people who ate carrots.......... DON"T EVER EAT CARROTS BECAUSE YOU ARE GONNA DIE,
Typical alarmist attitude but seriously if your mother told you you would drown should you believe her, a lady who has never been even a kids wading pool, or do you listen to the experts and try putting your neoprene waders in the lake to see if they sink out of sight? They float, fill them with neutral boyancy fluid (water) and they still float!!!!! Common sense and the physics that we were supposed to learn in school tells us that things that have a specific gravity less than water float, so..............they want to float, whether you are in them or not!!!!!

FYI the only wood that sinks is Lignum Vitae and the only rock that floats is Pummice.

The thing, IMHO, that kills those unfortunate souls who have landed in the water with their waders on is PANIC, even without a pfd that they should have been wearing in the first place, PANIC and/or hypothermia is the culprit.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Reid07 wrote:Oh. well ok. Now I know lol.
Aren't the immersion suits made of neoprene? Maybe that's what I was thinking of.

I guess I should clarify myself actually, so that I am not passing bad info.

The type of suit worn is based off of the water temp. If the temp is 60 or above, a neoprene wet suit is worn. If its less than that, they will switch over to the dry suit.

Had pool training today and water temp was 67, but air temp was 38 and we were in wet suits... it was honestly miserable. I don't know if we even got quality training due to how cold we were.
tknight006
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:12 am

Tknight, thanks for the added information. This thread keeps on going. To any others that want to call me an alarmist for having a conservative attitude towards safety. I just want everyone to have safe, productive and enjoyable hunts. Hang me for caring . :thumbsup:

And Reid07, if your going to quote me, please be as accurate as possible. Thanks
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Thank you for your concern Waterdogds, your points are well taken. You too have a safe season. We're here to learn and share our experiences not to fight. Learn by one another's mistakes because we wouldn't live long enough to make them all ourselves. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Reid07 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:18 am

waterdogds wrote:Tknight, thanks for the added information. This thread keeps on going. To any others that want to call me an alarmist for having a conservative attitude towards safety. I just want everyone to have safe, productive and enjoyable hunts. Hang me for caring . :thumbsup:

And Reid07, if your going to quote me, please be as accurate as possible. Thanks

I did state after the "quote" that it was obviously slightly exaggerated. I was conveying what I felt was the thought behind your message. I'm not trying to be argumentative or nasty but your attitude towards safety goes a bit beyond conservative.
Reid07
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:40 am

Convince a man against his will, he is of the same opinion still !

Any material that is lighter than same volume of water will float, the only rock that floats is Pummice and the only wood that sinks is Lignum Vitae. In scientific terms any material with a density less than the density of water floats, period. Whether you agree or not these are the facts.

Now IMHO, as a Red Cross certified swimming instructor, the thing that kills more people wearing waders who fall into water is Panic! If they take control and stop trying to get the waders and any other clothing off while in the water ( Panic) and take a deep breath they will find that they float. Keep calm!! Waders are nothing more than a loose fitting wet suit.

For those of you who still believe that waders are a free first class ticket to the bottom of the lake I suggest you take your waders to the nearest pool, put them on and jump in, use a safety rope if you feel you need one, polypropylene rope floats BTW. You are that kind of an individual that SHOULD prove to yourself that you are right !
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby florida old guy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:48 am

Just wear a PFD already
florida old guy
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:56 am

I feel as if the sinking wader debate has been answered... so here is a new situation that I found myself in yesterday.

When looking through the water, while sitting in my Kayak.... the water looked about 6-7 inches deep.. So as I pull up to the bank and get out, I sink roughly 4 feet. I was stuck in thigh deep mud and couldn't move. As I tried to pull free, my feet simply came out of my boots. I coultdn't work my way free for the life of me. Fortunately I had a friend with me who was already on the bank who held out a paddle for me to grab on to.

Has anybody ever sank in mud so thick that they were stuck for a good while?
tknight006
hunter

Postby wigeon_call » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 am

BigBend wrote:never bring a bannana in a boat, its bad luck.

aint that the truth.... :smile:
wigeon_call
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:51 pm

I have been duck hunting for fifty years and everybody I hunt with wears their neoprene waders and positive floatation parkas (mine is a Kobuk neoprene parka) in the boat......it is our survival gear. They both provide positive floatation and protect us from hypothermia. Between myself, my brother and best friend Mike we have almost 150 years of duck hunting experience between us and wouldn't be caught in the boat without this gear. We also insist that our sons and grandsons are dressed the same way when they hunt with us. Beneath our waders we wear an ECWCS polypropylene base layer under polartec fleece tops and bottoms, these materials both have a positive buoyancy and will also help fight hypothermia.
As a yacht captain, my crew and I are constantly training with our offshore survival suits and they are also made out of neoprene which by the way floats like a cork!. If you are wearing neoprene head to toe....you do not even have to know how to swim....you're gonna float!
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby wigeon_call » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 pm

The water inside the waders will weigh the same as the water outside the waders. Neoprene and breathable waders will not cause you to sink. The old rubber waders might be a different story.
wigeon_call
hunter

NO WADERS IN THE BOAT

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:57 am

This past season, I was in a boat that swamped and ended up in the water on thanksgiving in Michigan. I was wearing neoprene waders (5mm) and a kobuk neoprene wading jacket. I floated just fine, although swimming was extremely difficult. I was able to swim to water shallow enough to stand in but would not have been able to go much further due to the cold.

So, in my experience, neoprene from head to toe and you will float just fine. My jacket and waders were both full with water, which made mobility an issue but did not affect my buoyancy. The cold is what will kill you.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby duckhunter48 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:03 am

this topic has been argued over and over. but no matter how many times it is brought up, neoprene is still a floating substance. no matter how much weight you put on it, it will still have some buoyancy. put a wetsuit on. will it float you? maybe, but most likely not. can you sit on the bottom with a wetsuit on without some sort of dive weights? no. neoprene is buoyant no matter what the situation. it will not "suck" you under water and hold you there. just take a deep breath and swim back to the boat. its a simple as that.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby Patched Waders » Sun May 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi,

I stumbled upon this forum looking for airboat information. I've duck hunted in Mississippi, Maryland, Georgia and Florida. We always wear waders in the boat - for warmth and flotation.

The key is to wear a pdf.

Because, since the waders float, your feet may end up on the surface while your head is underwater. Add the various calls, shotgun shells, shotgun with sling etc that can be slung around the upper body that could help you float feet first in cold water and you could have a problem.

Stay safe,

P.W.
Patched Waders
Newb

Postby drjon » Sun May 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Wow, I'm surprised at how long the thread has been working. I used to surf alot when I was younger, and during the winter I wore older brothers neoprene suit. It wasn't tight fitting, more like waders would be and I didn't drown, even in the rough 10' swells. In fact, the neoprene saved my life by adding bouyancy. I think it good to remind all of the hazard of falling out of the boat but add the fear of drowning because of waders is like the movie "Jaws" frightening people from swimming in the ocean.

Still waiting on our Coasty Diver's experiment.

I would be more afraid or hypothermia than drowning.

Bgold is spot on about "Panic" and I think waterdogds intentions are admirable but are encouraging the "old wives tale" to continue to instill unwarranted fear. But, that may be good if it encourages PFD usage.

Wear Your PFD when in the boat!!!
drjon
hunter

Postby BigBend » Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 pm

drjon wrote:Still waiting on our Coasty Diver's experiment.

It happened, he is Navy:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=176676

Surprisingly people love to chime in on this thread, but not many check out the test data.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby drjon » Mon May 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Thought the most logical place for the results would be in the same thread that raised the question. Didn't mean to offend you sir.
drjon
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Florida Duck Hunting