Mallard Control Permit

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Mallard Control Permit

Postby tknight006 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 am

Has anybody ever obtained a Mallard Control Permit?

I was looking into it on FWC site and it seems like you can basically hunt them between may and august as long as you aren't concealed, using calls, or decoys...

Anybody have any more info?
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Re: Mallard Control Permit

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:26 pm

I got one and ended up never using it...not much to it, just read the regulations and apply if you want one.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:24 pm

I may be wrong, but I believe that I remember the regulations saying that its not a hunting license, its more of a trapping license. Your trap can't harm the duck or stress it in any way. You then have to use any of a number of ways to basically put the bird to sleep. Download the AVMA Guidelines on euthanasia on the fwc website and have a good read. Animal rights groups have crazy regs and procedures for what they call the most humane way. But go for it man. It's could be a awesome learning experience, but don't let it turn your heart soft...stay a killer. :sniper:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:31 pm

The FWC site specifically says that you can use a gun. (Same with gator hunting, as a gun is considered "humane".) Thats what threw me off.

It seems like the basic goal is to get rid of the local mallards that have become domesticated and do not migrate. The season is from May1-Aug31. You have to keep logs of every kill you make.... but I found it crazy that you can take up to 12,000...

There must be a huge problem with cross-breeding due to ferrel mallards.

I'm going to look into it when I get back from deployment, but I cant really find any satisfaction in killing ducks that will come to you if you have bread.
tknight006
hunter

Re: Re: Mallard Control Permit

Postby whaknstak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:44 pm

tknight006 wrote:The FWC site specifically says that you can use a gun. (Same with gator hunting, as a gun is considered "humane".) Thats what threw me off.

It seems like the basic goal is to get rid of the local mallards that have become domesticated and do not migrate. The season is from May1-Aug31. You have to keep logs of every kill you make.... but I found it crazy that you can take up to 12,000...

I'm going to look into it when I get back from deployment, but I cant really find any satisfaction in killing ducks that will come to you if you have bread.

Shoot, I'd be all about some mallard control. Here ducky ducky ducky...........bang! Haha
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 pm

tknight006 wrote:The FWC site specifically says that you can use a gun. (Same with gator hunting, as a gun is considered "humane".) Thats what threw me off.

Yeah man I said I may be wrong, looks like I am. I guess I missed that part, I must have gotten side tracked on the guidelines on euthanasia. Thanks for straightening me out. :lol3:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 pm

waterdogds wrote:
Yeah man I said I may be wrong, looks like I am. I guess I missed that part, I must have gotten side tracked on the guidelines on euthanasia. Thanks for straightening me out. :lol3:

Heck, I probably have it wrong in some form or fashion... I can see myself rolling up to the boat launch with a couple mallards in August, trying to explain that I have a permit... to many possibilities that could go wrong.. misread one rule and its a hefty fine.
tknight006
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:06 am

I got one last year, but only shot one. Just snuck up and popped her.
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:05 am

So does this mean lake ella is fair game if you have one :hammer: :sniper:
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby wigeon_call » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:06 am

quackhunter99 wrote:So does this mean lake ella is fair game if you have one :hammer: :sniper:

X2????
wigeon_call
hunter

Postby allnighter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:So does this mean lake ella is fair game if you have one :hammer: :sniper:

Hey now you better stay out of my hole. :grooving:
allnighter
hunter

Mallard Control Permit

Postby quackhunter99 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:44 am

allnighter wrote:

Hey now you better stay out of my hole. :grooving:

you set up on one side, I'll get the other, keep the birds workin
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 pm

How do you distinguish between a lost bird that's late for the parry and one that needs to go? Do you offer them some light bread? Or are they hanging out in a trailer park pond?
waterdogds
hunter

Postby BigBend » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:59 am

I'm all about extending a season, but there's too many other opportunities to pursue in that time frame in Florida.I'd personally rather go catch redfish than bushwhack a couple lazy bread feeders that won't migrate. As soon as the euthanasia came up it really sounds less appealing lol.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby waterdogds » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 am

BigBend wrote:I'm all about extending a season, but there's too many other opportunities to pursue in that time frame in Florida.I'd personally rather go catch redfish than bushwhack a couple lazy bread feeders that won't migrate. As soon as the euthanasia came up it really sounds less appealing lol.

X2, been after them reds a few times now. Water temp still a little cool I think....for my spots anyways. But definitely with you on getting after a domesticated bird that won't fly. Takes the fun out of it.
waterdogds
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting