Florida Keys fishing

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Florida Keys fishing

Postby spartansfan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:35 pm

I am interested in coming down in June for some offshore/wreck fishing with my dad and also do some scuba diving. Is there any particular guides you guys would suggest or do you have any tips for islands to stay at? Thanks in advance
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Re: Florida Keys fishing

Postby Florida Keys Vacation » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 am

Welcome to the Keys! If you're planning on diving and fishing you'll be coming to the absolutely best place. The Florida Keys is broken down into 3 main areas for diving. Upper Keys which covers Key Largo and Islamorada, the Middle Keys which covers Marathon and the Lower Keys for Key West.

The Upper Keys is considered to be one of the best places to dive, and the fishing is fantastic. You can dive reefs in very shallow water or go further out and explore deep wrecks, then spend the afternoon poling around in the backcountry flyfishing for tarpon or bonefish.

Key West has tremendous fishing opportunities as well - you can go out to the Marquesas Atoll which is further out but is also less heavily trafficked. Fishing is amazing and so is the snorkeling and diving.

Of course Marathon is - well - just plain good fishing, has great diving and is the 'low' key of the Keys in terms of laid back attitude.

If you want information on all the different reefs, and wrecks, along with the different types of fishing from back country to deep sea fishing.

You can also get all the information you need on ALL the accommodations found in the Florida Keys, broken down by region and type of lodging as well. A picture is included of each establishment, along with a description and you can then click on the name of the facility and it will take you to real life reviews of the facility so you know if it will suit your needs.

Happy Florida Keys vacation planning!
Florida Keys Vacation
Newb

Postby BigBend » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:37 am

Ever think about becoming a sponsor of the site? Please don't post links to your website.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby troutman561 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:51 pm

I have been going down to the Keys on average once a year since I was 9. Myself and my dad offshore fish and have an offshore center console we bring down there to fish the humps and what not.. I love Islamorada and was just down there this past week.. It was windy but we got offshore and got on some mahi and tuna. June should be a good month fishing conditions wise, and hot hot hot. There should be plenty of mahi and tuna if you charter offshore and I believe it will be near the end of the tarpon run. As far as where to stay it all depends on your price range.. A nice place I like that is a good price is La Jolla, ask for one of the remodeled rooms and enjoy.. It is not some super nice high end place but it is clean and has that "Keys" feel to it. Plus, it is right in the middle of all the good places to eat.. Dont miss out on eating at Lazy Days for lunch/dinner and Green Turtle in for any meal of the day, they have many unique breakfast options. Kaiyo grill is also a delicious place to try. If you do catch, you can bring the fish to any of the places I mentioned above and they will prepare it many different ways if you would like. This last trip I brought some tuna to Green Turtle and they seared the tuna, served over veggies with a sweet soy sauce and it was hands down the best seared tuna I have ever had. If you have any other questions feel free to ask as I have stayed in Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon, and Key West so I know my way around a little. As you can probably tell, Islamorada is my favorite for the food and fishing.
troutman561
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:11 pm

The most "Touristy" island would be Key West, Lots of sights to see as well a lot of nightlife. A good charter fleet and dive operations there too. Marathon and Islamarada have charter and dive boat operations. Key Largo has lots of dive boats that go to John Pennycamp Sanctuary which has suppurb diving. We go every year to Tarpon fish and we hide away on Big Pine Key. We bring our own boat and stay away from most places except The No Name Pub for dinner a couple nights. We mainly cook at the house and chill out.
If you have never been down there I would recommend stopping at Robbie's and feeding the Tarpon, Pizza and beers one night at The No Name Pub on Big Pine, a fine dinner in Flip Flops at the Square Grouper on Cudjo Key and of course one night of drinking on Duval in Key West.

This is inside the No Name Pub. Yes all $ bills.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting