looking for duck hunters near jacksonville

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

looking for duck hunters near jacksonville

Postby japrxfan » Thu May 25, 2006 9:12 pm

i'd like to open with i'm relatively new to florida. i'm in the navy and i spent eight years hunting ducks in washington before i enlisted. i'm just looking for locals in the area that know their way around. i'm going crazy not hunting. i have some gear. waders, jacket, remington 870, calls, and looking into buying a four rivers layout boat in savannah, ga. need help on decoy selection and info on diver and puddle hunting areas if there are any. thanks.
japrxfan
hunter

Postby jedisme » Fri May 26, 2006 5:18 am

whew, wish i could i could help ya...i'm way west of ya goodluck!
jedisme
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Fri May 26, 2006 9:33 pm

Welcome to Florida :salude:

I am not in Jax but am about 1.5 hrs south on Lake George.
Blackjacks and a few Bills can be here We get a few Puddlers here as well. From a Pintail here and there, occasional Widgeon, and Teal. Woodducks are thick like mosquitos.

Guana River Wildlife Management Area is just a short hop from you on A1A in Ponte Vedra. You will be restricted to 10HP or less in the WMA.
Check out www.myfwc.com for more info on some of the other areas open to hunting in the state.

Give me a shout if you get down this way.
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Postby japrxfan » Fri May 26, 2006 11:15 pm

i can't seem to find anyone but a handful of of people that know what the h*ll they're talking about, and even fewer that have the same schedule then me. i'm going crazy guys please come to the rescue. this is my life. :help:
japrxfan
hunter

Postby jedisme » Sat May 27, 2006 7:33 am

nothin but, florida duck hunters here www.americanwaterfowlers.com
jedisme
hunter

Welcome to N. Florida

Postby FLAWaterfowler » Sat May 27, 2006 8:02 am

Welcome to N FL! Im in Jax and I have both good and bad news for you.

Due to Jax's rapid development, you'll have to get in the mindset of traveling for ducks... not many places within Duval county and those that remain are quickly being lost to the developers.

That said there is some decent ducking in the "Golden Circle" of an hour and a half out of Jacksonville.

Within that area are a couple of management areas specifically managed for ducks: Guana WMA in Ponte Vedra, PCS Phosphate in White Springs, and Alligator lake in Lake City. All of these areas are restricted to your number of days that you can hunt per week (Sat and Wed except for A.L. which is open Tues and Thurs). You can also hunt the interior ponds at Guana during the small game seasons.

The northside marshes of Duval and Nassau counties can be good, but they are large, tidal areas that take a while to get to know em...best way for that is fishing for reds and trout in the summertime. Also you have the St. Johns river and St. Marys river...the St. Johns can get nasty if you have a small boat , but the St. Marys is nice

There are numerous lakes within an hour/hour and a half that are legal to shoot, but unfortunately many are being developed along the shoreline. Lake George can be very good, but it is large

There are also ponds, etc etc on many of the management areas around the county/locale which can be productive. Check out the FWC site for info on seasons, etc.... it takes some looking but you will often be rewarded on these smaller waters. The pressure on some of the waterfowl WMAs can be pretty high... I hunt Guana and PCS a bit and its feast or famine..

If you dont mind driving 2 hours , you have Merritt Island NWR in Titusville...it can be glorious but there are call-in restrictions and the pressure is pretty heavy.

Bird wise (Puddlers)=teal, widgeon, a few pintail, mottled ducks (florida mallards) and blacks on occasion in the salt water, gadwall, and your occasional golf course greenhead. Good numbers of wood ducks. (Divers) bluebills, Ringnecks (most common diver on the freshwater lakes), some redheads, the occasional canvasback and bufflehead.

Call wise - get a whistle. Not many ducks around here respond well to heavy calling....subtlety is the key in FLA

Deke wise - a small puddler rig (teal and a few bigger birds, I like the look of mottled/black duck decoys and add a few widgeon and sprig; diver wise I have two set ups... bluebills for the salt and some ringers and coots for freshwater. Also some cans and redheads if theyre around.

Can be an interesting place to hunt. Can be good...can be bad. You have to scout and respond. Again, subtlety is key -- by the time theyre here theyve been hammered for 2000 miles, so were dealing with some pretty educated birds.

Couple of sites to consider :

FloridaWaterfowler.com -- im revising the site this summer. Boards are slow in the summertime and pick up during the season.

AmericanWaterfowlers.com -- lots of the old guys from the now defunct SouthernDuckHunter SDH site

UnitedWaterfowlersFL.org -- UW -- Florida's leading waterfowl hunter advocacy group. Good bunch -- ive been a member since day 1.

Again, welcome to FLA! Where are you stationed? NAS or Mayport?
FLAWaterfowler
hunter

Postby japrxfan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:07 pm

i'm kind of looking for hunting partners for this season. i have two friends that i work with but they are on opposite shifts and i'll only have a fiew opportunities to hunt with them. i'm not looking for handouts by any means just friends that know their way around. FLAWaterfowler i'm stationed at nas jax. i've been at my command for about a year and i've been at the base for about a year and three months. i've been out in the intercoastal and also the marshes of browns & sisters creek for red fish. can i hunt them if i'm in far enough away from houses?
japrxfan
hunter

Gainesville area

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:12 pm

I am moving to the Gainesville area west of Jax. You are welcome to throw in with me. I don't know to many places to hunt up there but we can figure it out with a little research. There is always room for one more. PM me and we can exchange info. I would also think about the drive to merrit island. you can get back in some of the impounds and tear it up. All you need is a canoe.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:20 am

Plenty of good hunting south here in Melbourne. But that's about 2.5 hours from Jax.
--Hunters don't care about nature, but loony animal activists who've never been outside of San Francisco do??!!
--Hipocrisy: People against hunting, but who don't have a problem buying new condos built on previous wetland habitat.
---RIP-Woody-1/26/2010--
Evil_McNasty
hunter

I think I am in the same boat you are.

Postby vince4553 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:39 pm

Just moved to Jax. Duck hunted in Southeast Texas for about ten years. I have been exploring sister creek while fishing for reds, trying to figure out where to hunt around here. I have a G3 tunnelhull and the hole set up, just trying to get set up like you. It looks like we have to go out of the area. I have hunted WMA'S where it is first come first serve/ with the call restrictions so it will be nothing new to me. Let me know what you find.- Vince
New to the area.
vince4553
Newb

Return to Florida Duck Hunting