This oughta bring the forum back to life...

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

This oughta bring the forum back to life...

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu May 31, 2012 8:21 pm

DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Re: This oughta bring the forum back to life...

Postby BigBend » Thu May 31, 2012 9:31 pm

Miccosukee

Exposing and drying the lake bottom to consolidate muck and decaying plants;

· Scraping 18-24 inches of muck from 25 acres of lake bottom;

· Performing prescribed burning of woody tussocks floating on the lake

“The FWC will mimic what would occur naturally during dry or drought years at Lake Miccosukee,” said Charles Mesing, lead coordinator of the project, who works for the FWC on aquatic habitat conservation and restoration. “We will assist Mother Nature by draining the lake, drying out and consolidating muck, and removing the decaying plants that have accumulated on the bottom, which can reduce the water’s oxygen level.”

I had heard they were going to drain miccosukee.

Brings up some concerns for next season:

What if Iamonia and Micc are both dry during duck season?

Will there be enough vegetation to attract the #'s of birds after restoration?

Jackson will be crazy......
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:53 am

Jackson is only about two feet deep. I cant even run the lake anymore with my SD. If we dont get any rain, Iamonia, Jackson, And mic will be bone dry. the only lake with water will be Carr.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:32 am

IMO...mother nature doesn't need any assistance. That lake has been the way it is since the Indians inhabited its banks. Why not let mother nature do its thing NATURALLY... If this thing plays out like they want it to, duck #'s are sure to suffer. Take a look at Munson, every time its sprayed, vegetation dies back and there's nothing to eat. If they scrape away 2' of muck, it will remove a lot of what attracts all the birds. Man's constant interference with nature creates more problems than it will ever fix.

Hopefully they don't screw it up, that lake is by far one of the most beautiful pieces of water I've ever been on.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby stone em » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:16 am

with all do respect mother nature does need assisantce...unlike jackson and iamonia(even though iamonia now has pipes that drain the lake, which has caused its own problems) man took his own actions and built a berm around the sinkhole that would naturally regulate the lake since all three of them are considered parire lakes and they do this naturally and cyclically...and the ducks numbers will seem to suffer bc they will have no water to get to, but they are also used to this and the numbers will stay the same if you can travel and find water to hunt them on...iamonia was bone dry back in 2003 and the ducks were used to not flying into it along with jackson...this never really affected anyone back then bc there werent that many hunters to give a flip...now there are and you can bet if there is a puddle with water ppl will be hunting it...if this all goes accordingly the hunting might suffer for a season but i can guarntee if they do whats promised and the water level comes back the following year the hunting will be superb...live and adapt...just 2 cents from a local thats doing it himself...
If they land dont hesitate...
stone em
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:11 pm

stone em wrote:with all do respect mother nature does need assisantce...unlike jackson and iamonia(even though iamonia now has pipes that drain the lake, which has caused its own problems) man took his own actions and built a berm around the sinkhole that would naturally regulate the lake since all three of them are considered parire lakes and they do this naturally and cyclically...and the ducks numbers will seem to suffer bc they will have no water to get to, but they are also used to this and the numbers will stay the same if you can travel and find water to hunt them on...iamonia was bone dry back in 2003 and the ducks were used to not flying into it along with jackson...this never really affected anyone back then bc there werent that many hunters to give a flip...now there are and you can bet if there is a puddle with water ppl will be hunting it...if this all goes accordingly the hunting might suffer for a season but i can guarntee if they do whats promised and the water level comes back the following year the hunting will be superb...live and adapt...just 2 cents from a local thats doing it himself...

Yes, but limited assistance. All of the local big lakes did not just form a few hundred years ago. A dug out canoe found in Munson dated 823 yrs. old. If the lakes have come this far without man's help, what makes the fwc biologist think its what's best now. Jackson was said to have emptied like a bathtub, there is no telling how many times that has happened in the life of the lake. Yet its still there for our limited enjoyment. Water levels will come back, and it will be without man's help. Nature needs help with improvement, but what form of improvement will this have.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Carr wont be left either. I was out there today. lake is about 1/3 its normal size.

At this point, man has to step in to take mother natures place. so much has been modified. Damns, concrete in sinkholes, it all affects it. The biggest issue with the water is that there is hardly any watershed for the lakes anymore. Take jackson for example, the water that would normlly run into the lake from the surrounding area ,(the lake jackson watershed is massive), is collected in stormwater ponds and drains. It never makes it too the lake. I hate too say it but they have to do it. Its going to suck this season, but it will help it in the following years. There will still be vegetaion for duck to eat, these prarie type lakes did have the natural cycle of draining and filling, and the native vegetaion would grow back. Im all for removing the muck, it will make the lakes deeper and allow the growth or dollarbonnets and other natural duck firendly vegetaion. Some of yall really need to quit your b*%#$ing and let them improve the lake, if anything it will reduce the number of hunters becasue they will take the year off and not get back into it. if they dont step in, the muck will get deeper (have fun trying to wade), hydrila will top out everywhere. thats just the start. The lakes will be ruined and the restoration process will be longer and more expensive. Its one lake they are doing it too, there are plenty of other places to hunt if you actually look around, alot of which are alot better than Micc. Personally i think almost all the lakes need a little help, do one every year. a little goes a long way.

Even just a burn will go alot way. Most of the muck which would be removed is decayed plant matter. let that muck dry out and alot of it will burn like pinestraw. Thats about at natural as it gets.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:53 am

Come on Hoop...Iamonia and Micc don't have the first problem with watershed or have water diverted as storm water run off. They are both surrounded by natural habitat with significantly less housing and streets. Jacksons a whole different situation. Think about it this way...say there wasn't any houses, or paved road ways within 1 mile of Jackson, and there was no need to divert water or build holding ponds. Water levels would undoubtedly be better than they are currently.

When? In the life of any of these lakes has man's "improvement" been beneficial. I'm not saying that improvement is impossible, but the significance of this project is at best a 50/50 chance of improving the lake, or changing it for the worse. And of course I'll be upset about duck season, but I'm more concerned with the long term effects this will have. Lake Miccosukee in its raw and natural state is what makes it so special. I'd like to see it stay that way.
waterdogds
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:02 am

The supporters of dredging the lake say it is because man messed up years ago, so we now have to continuously fix the mistake. But two wrongs don't make a right. Don't compound the problems by meddling in things that have worked for thousands of years. We put nature in this little box to fit our needs and thought process. Leave it alone and it will work itself out. Let's not forget the root of our problem. We are debating the issue of low water levels caused by a drought. We need RAIN and lots of it. They can do $10 million in restoration, but without massive amounts of rain, were still SOL come September.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:07 pm

whaknstak wrote:The supporters of dredging the lake say it is because man messed up years ago, so we now have to continuously fix the mistake. But two wrongs don't make a right. Don't compound the problems by meddling in things that have worked for thousands of years. We put nature in this little box to fit our needs and thought process. Leave it alone and it will work itself out. Let's not forget the root of our problem. We are debating the issue of low water levels caused by a drought. We need RAIN and lots of it. They can do $10 million in restoration, but without massive amounts of rain, were still SOL come September.

X2
waterdogds
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Any of you guys planning on going to the public meeting in Monticello on Tuesday night concerning this project?
waterdogds
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:38 pm

I wish I could, I won't be able to make it. If you go Dale, please voice my concerns along with yours.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:26 am

whaknstak wrote:I wish I could, I won't be able to make it. If you go Dale, please voice my concerns along with yours.

I'll do it Mitchell. I wish we could all be there. I fear that this thing has probably got a full head of steam in the direction its going to go. And there's very little or nothing we can do about it now, except hope for the best.
waterdogds
hunter

Postby stone em » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:15 am

waterdogds wrote:
whaknstak wrote:The supporters of dredging the lake say it is because man messed up years ago, so we now have to continuously fix the mistake. But two wrongs don't make a right. Don't compound the problems by meddling in things that have worked for thousands of years. We put nature in this little box to fit our needs and thought process. Leave it alone and it will work itself out. Let's not forget the root of our problem. We are debating the issue of low water levels caused by a drought. We need RAIN and lots of it. They can do $10 million in restoration, but without massive amounts of rain, were still SOL come September.

X2

We arent creating a wrong...we are artifically creating a right by pumping and dredging the lake...this would have naturally taken place if the sinkhole wasn't plugged. Now that it is, it is almost impossible for the lake to continue its naturally cycle, and yes i agree we need water to make it worth anything anyways, but without dreding and burning any water we get will only allow certain growth. The excess of silt and decay would have normally dried out and turned into good fertilizer for natural grasses that grow when the lakes go dry (ie take a peak at iamonia and jackson right now). Basically a real wet season is only going to act like a band-aid for the situation. I have seen these projects take place from Florida all the way to North Carolina and all have had great success...just plan on not using them for a year...a worthy cause if you ask me...
If they land dont hesitate...
stone em
hunter

Postby bdub » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:28 am

Plantations are gonna have a great year! :thumbsup:
bdub
hunter

Postby greatwhite » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 am

Anyone make it to the meeting? Just curious what the overall tone was.
greatwhite
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:11 am

What everthey do they either need to do it right or do nothing at all. Nothing halfa$$ed
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby allnighter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Some times you have to make lemonade, and when I say lemonade I mean we all load up the tractors head to the lake and make giant corn ponds. Take that plantations!
allnighter
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting