Sports Store

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Sports Store

Postby lovetheduck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 am

Hey guys, moving down to Jacksonville in 6 weeks and no i'm not begging for help to find a new spot (even though any help is appreciated). However, i do have a question about stores. I know the gander mountain in Virginia and the Dicks sporting goods stores are "ok" with duck hunting things during the season and with supply and demand fall off during the off season. But how are the stores down in Jacksonville? Do they even have any duck hunting things out during the season? And i went into the Academy on Atlantic this past week when i was down there looking for an apartment and they had an end cap with duck hunting this. Plenty of deer and hog things which i will pursue while i'm down there, but should i stock up on things before i get down there? Or get used to buying online? Let me know guys, thanks.
lovetheduck
hunter

Re: Sports Store

Postby Ichabod97 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:07 am

Most things i would buy online when i lived there. The Academy stores do put out quite a bit of stuff during the season and as it approaches. You have a Gander Mountain north of town by the airport, and another down in St. Augustine by the outlet mall. There is Bass Pro in Orlando and in Savannah. ****'s Sporting goods in the Orange park mall and in the St. john's town center both started carrying waterfowl gear last season.

Academy seems to have the better prices. Gander down in St. Aug will randomly, without ad placement, run decoys on sale. Shotgun shells are tough to come by. Don't know why Gander thinks we needed "T", "BB" and "BBB" shot there, but that is what they seemed to stock the most of. Go early for shells and stock up on them, because once the season hits the good shot sizes get scarce.

Watch Craigslist...found plenty of deals on decoys while i was there as well. If you are into deer hunting, venture up to Georgia. If you are military, some of the places in St. Mary's will sell you a state license for the resident price...that is how i got mine. If you want to have some fun, get into hog hunting. I killed 3 last spring there on a private hunt club.

Really miss duck hunting down there, but i get my time in when i come down for leave. Good luck to you.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby lovetheduck » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:25 am

Hey man i really appreciate the help. I mainly use 3's and 4's up here for the puddle ducks and i always stock up during the summer so it's not a slam on the budget when the season hits. Yes i am very much so into deer hunting and also military so i'll definitly check out georgia, i was just worried about the 200 dollar license fees that came with it, didn't know that i could get one at the resident price. And i'm huge into hog hunting i was in North Carolina last year and killed a couple nice boars. I heard Guana WMA has some good hog hunting. Hopefully Florida won't let me down with hunting, with me going back to sea duty scouting and hunting is going to a little bit more limited than what i was here in Nofolk so every minute that i have out in the field has to count.
lovetheduck
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:41 am

Guana does have some hogs, but you will need to get into the quota hunt system for some good opportunities to hunt there. Check out www.myfwc.com to learn about the quota hunts. The nice thing about a majority of FL quota hunts is that they are free to apply unlike VA. Lots of clubs in GA advertise for spots on Craigslist there as well. Get to know some of the people you will be working with as well. Most of the guys at my last command were in on a hunt lease in GA. There are some good people in the FL forum that will be willing to help you out as well. JAXDuckMan is a buddy of mine there that is former military and is big into duck and hog hunting too. Let me know if i can help you out bro. If you are still in VA, hit me up with a PM and we can talk more.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Belly up dux » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Since you are military you can get all the licence you need for 25 bucks. Then you need the federal waterfowl stamp. Plenty of good hunting areas around. Drop me a PM. Loose lips, sink ships.
Belly up dux
State Moderator

Return to Florida Duck Hunting