Duck Hunting Forum banner

Save Your Rights to Access Public Lands

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Capt Jeff Kraynik 
#1 ·
Save Your Rights to Access Public Lands

Public Meeting - Thursday, June 21, 2012 Brevard County Commission Chambers
2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Viera, FL 32940

Moccasin Island, an approximately 3000 acre tract east of Lake Winder and part of the River Lakes Conservation Area in Brevard County, has been open to waterfowl hunters as a "walk-in only" access area since 2007 without need of quotas or restrictions. It is currently an unmanaged piece of property with no other manipulations scheduled than bi-yearly burning or mowing during drought conditions.

The entirety of the tract is restricted to non-motorized traffic and may be accessed either by boat from the St. Johns River or by a 1 ¾ mile walk/bicycle ride from the end of Wickham Rd. Once at the boundaries of the property, hunters must walk, wade or paddle into the interior of the property and exit the same way.

Prior to the property being opened to public access, Moccasin Island's current management plan was brought before the public through the WRAC meeting process where it was discussed and agreed upon. Since its inception in 2007, this property has been accessible to all hunters and passive users alike, including waterfowlers, big game hunters, small game hunters, birders, kayakers, hikers and bass fishermen.

Recently, a group of individuals has asked St. Johns River Water Management District to consider restricting access in the Moccasin Island tract from its current (7) seven-day a week access down to (3) three-days a week for waterfowl hunters only.

Among the many issues cited in the proposal to reduce hunting, the plan specifically identifies the following concerns:
 A future shift in the wetland and population dynamic for this area related to the encroachment of development,degradation of habitat, loss of lands and establishment of buffer zones.
 Future conflicts between hunters, passive users and residents in the surrounding areas.
 Maintaining, preserving and improving the quality of hunting within the expanse of the Moccasin Island complex.

While all of these problems surely loom large for the future, none of these issues can be remedied by simply restricting access, especially when it is specific only to waterfowl hunters.

Restricting access WILL NOT:
 slow development
 improve or increase habitat
 save more lands for recreation
 preserve your rights to hunt
 resolve conflicts between hunters and other users in the future
 Strengthen our ability to keep hunting areas open.

Restricting access is not the answer. It is a ploy to limit use so that a few people can shoot more big ducks.

If you cannot attend the meeting please, write to the SJRWMD Governing Board and the district staff opposing any and all restrictions or closures as they are unwarranted and will only create greater conflict among hunters.

Your assistance and support is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kraynik
774 Donau Ave NW
Palm Bay, Fl 32907
321-863-9182

Chuck Echenique
4607 Sun Valley Dr.
Tampa, FL 33624
(813) 918-7610

ST. JOHNS RIVER WATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT GOVERNING BOARD & STAFF

Lad Daniels, Chairman
ldaniels@sjrwmd.com

John A. Miklos, Vice chairman
jmiklos@sjrwmd.com

Douglas C. Bournique, Secretary
dbournique@sjrwmd.com

Maryam H. Ghyabi, Treasurer
mghyabi@sjrwmd.com

Charles "Chuck" Drake
cdrake@sjrwmd.com

Richard G. Hamann
rhamann@sjrwmd.com

George W. Robbins
grobbins@sjrwmd.com

Fred N. Roberts Jr.
froberts@sjrwmd.com

W. Leonard Wood
lwood@sjrwmd.com

Doug Voltolina(staff)
dvoltolina@sjrwmd.com

Robert Christianson(staff)
rchristianson@sjrwmd.com

Gian Basili (staff)
gbasili@sjrwmd.com

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a lot more to this story than Jeff is putting on here. I am not saying that arguing against restricting access is wrong. Just that folks from around the state that know nothing of the area would be wise to read on several other sites the debate that has raged before you start emailing away. The people that are pushing for access are NOT doing it just so they personally can shoot some trophy ducks and Jeff knows that. They believe that it will improve the quality of the hunting there and that people will have better hunting and the birds will stay longer all year. I will be honest and say that I am not sold that they are correct, but anyone that says they are doing it simply for personal gain is a liar. Most of both sides (I am sure there are selfish motives from a few individuals on both sides-some may be losing guide business, some may just want to shoot "better" ducks) are doing what they think is what's best for that particular marsh. Obviously they can't both be right, but other than a few, there is not a group on either side with bad intentions.

#3 ·
I only know of (2) two guide businesses that utilize MOC for profit.

(1) one is for the restrictions & I have no idea where the other stands (Cocoa area).

We "do not & never have" utilized this property for our business but used it (5) five times last season for pleasure hunts.

Nice try though!!!

I for one never wanted to be @ the forfront of this access issue & still don't.

I always felt & still due that this should be the job of United Waterfowlers of Florida, a group formed on hunter access issues & would have gladly stepped away if they would have stepped up..

But sadly, it is members of their BoD's & RD's (as individuals) that are pushing for these restrictions & the "Dan Plan."

Members, non-members & even a current RD asked for a vote by the BoD or a member poll but was advised that neither would take place. :hammer:

Some of those members for the "Dan Plan" that hold office & represent the org but acting as "individuals" are:

Dan Daniels
Pat Stone
John Hitchcock
Joe Richter Sr
Newton Jones

So if anyone would like to inquire for themselves on their side of the issue, pls e-mail them directly @:

http://www.unitedwaterfowlersfl.org/officers.htm

Thank you for your time!!!

CJ

P.S. Yes, I do believe that these individuals main goal in this venture is to shoot trophy ducks (pintail/widgeon/gadwall) & if needed would be glad to post up those "original" comments & links.

As one of these individuals put it : "There are duck shooters, duck hunters & waterfowlers" :fingerhead:

#4 ·
Never said you were making money on guiding chief. I don't know you and don't know where you guide. Just said some may be. You make some legitimate points about access, but you knowing what other people think is a lie. Your panties are all drawn up and it is much more about you getting back at certain people over all the mud slung in both directions (as others on the other side are doing too). Everyone that has read all the BS knows it as well. Does not make you wrong about the issue. You bunch of children are calling each other names, resigning from posts to prove a point, all because your little peepee measuring contest turned ugly. The lot of you sicken me. No reason at all not to just disagree on the point, make your point and move on. It is all personal now and neither side can hold their head high. Embarassing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.