Daytona newbie

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Daytona newbie

Postby Buckyjizzm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:07 pm

hey guys,
Ill be moving back to daytona for school and im looking to get involved in duck hunting. Just wondering what i need as far as licenses /permits.I read about it on myfwc.com but would like to make sure i understand the rules/regs fully. Also I was wondering if anyone has hunted from a kayak? I fish from mine all the time and figured why not try from a kayak... reply or send PM, any info is appreciated
Buckyjizzm
Newb

Re: Daytona newbie

Postby BigBend » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Hunting license, migratory permit and federal duck stamp, WMA permit if you hunt on a WMA. Welcome to the forum. Plenty of guys on here hunt from kayaks.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby chris_k » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Do your hunting safety course if you were born after 1975. Hunting Merritt Island and Orlando lakes will be your best option.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 am

Welcome! There guys have steered you in the right direction. I will add you need a free resident migratory bird permit. Just have them add it with your duck stamp. Doesn't cost anything, but I have seen guys ticketed for not having it.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Buckyjizzm » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:29 pm

ok cool, I have/had a NJ hunting license, i still have the hunter safety card from when i took the test God knows how long ago.... would it be able to carry over between states or would i have to retake the test and such? and i know how people are with giving up spots and all but this is just a general question, if anyone has hunted tiger bay wma , is it worth my time, in terms of people(one thing i hate is being on top of other people) or should i stick to the intercoastal area?
Buckyjizzm
Newb

Postby Belly up dux » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Your hunter safety card should be good. There are some birds on the ICW, lots of sawbills and some teal and others. Run down the road to Titusville and Merritt Island and there is good hunting. It's less than an hour from ya.
Belly up dux
State Moderator

Postby Buckyjizzm » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 pm

thanks again, i really appreciate the help.
Buckyjizzm
Newb

Postby troutman561 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:44 am

Where will you be living and going to school? I just finished up school in Port Orange and have some info for you.. PM me if interested...
troutman561
hunter

Postby PortOrangeRed » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:39 pm

I also live in port orange and plan on doing some duck hunting this year. Shoot me a pm. If u want to line up a few hunts.
PortOrangeRed
hunter

Postby Fowl_Downer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:15 pm

I am also going to school down here looking to do some duck hunting. I'm from Southeast MO and smash em there during winter break like a religion but not too familiar with the area here
Fowl_Downer
Newb

Postby FSUDuck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:58 pm

shoot me a pm. I can lead you in the correct general direction.
FSUDuck
hunter

Postby Murraymc711 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:15 pm

Welcome! I also live here in Daytona it's been a rough year around here but they can be found. Merrit island is going to be your best bet from the yak. Hey fsu duck send me a text I dropped the phone in the lake picking up deeks
Murraymc711
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting