Boat Lights???

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Boat Lights???

Postby Kaianuanu » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:10 pm

So we all know how stringent the FWC and sheriff's departments can be on boating regulations, i wanted to ask you guys that hit the lakes well before sunrise, if your boats have the red & green lights on the bow and the white one in the rear? If not, has it ever caused a problem for you?
Kaianuanu
hunter

Re: Boat Lights???

Postby BigBend » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:29 pm

:welcome:

I have been warned for not having running lights (broken), ive heard of people getting tickets for repeatedly not having them.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby Kaianuanu » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:32 pm

thanks for the heads up BigBend, finding out that i will probably need some lights, lead me to some googling which reminded me of a vague memory of being on our tiny 7' dingy as a very small child (we moved on to sea rays since) and the light it had, a little rummaging through super old boat stuff lead my to this, which i naturally threw some OD rustoleum on. Saved me $30! Now i need to work on that stern like . . . sounds like a DIY project to me!

Kaianuanu
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:34 pm

They are pretty picky about the front lights where I am at certain places. But others they dont care. Guess it depends on the Warden. But I hardly ever use the stern light becasue I makes it tougher to see whats in my spotlights. I may use it when at my spot just as another way for other hunters to know where i am
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 pm

I have two bright head lights that will light up the lake, and still got warned about not having a red/green. (Buddy kicked it off wading two trips prior)

lesson learned: running lights don't take the place of nav lights.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:52 pm

They will give you a ticket on the river around here if you donot have a working stern light and bow light.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:34 pm

snipeshooter wrote:They will give you a ticket on the river around here if you donot have a working stern light and bow light.

Nice to see you back Snipe. Ive rebuilt the motor you sold me and its still kickin :thumbsup:
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby JAXDuckMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Mine have been busted for awhile I recommend that you get some el-cheapo's. As for mine they are going to stay broke! but my spot lights work. :thumbsup:
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:58 am

I hope it does good for you for a long time Big Bend. I have alittle over 650 hours on my hyper now and its still going strong.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby Dahlia Fairall » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:37 pm

What is the advantage of krypton flash light bulbs Vs. regular halogen Vs. LED when buying a flashlight?
I know that LED flashlights are pretty crappy. I heard that Krypton flashlights and Halogen flashlights are about the same and produce the same intensity and range. Is this true? Does anybody have first hand experience?

LED Tube
LED Par Light
LED High Bay Light
Dahlia Fairall
Newb

Postby duckhunter48 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:27 pm

just take that bow light in the picture and have a way to take it on and off your boat. or keep it in your bag and have your buddy hold it while yall are coming in/going out. no one around my area has ever given me any trouble about it not having a stern light. of course i rarely use the bow lights either...but then again, im risky.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38 pm

I installed a low profile LED bow light and a stern light with a socket so I can remove it during the day or running through the wood.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 am

IMO you're better off going ahead and wiring your boat for running lights. Those cheap, detachable lights are very tempermental and break easily.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:07 am

A cheap thing that I've done is to buy the little solar powered lights at walmart that line your driveway.

They charge all day and come on as soon as it gets dark. Take a green and red marker and color two of them. it works easy and they are cheap.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby drjon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Yes,it all comes down to the Officer, some are great at applying discretion others are not so mature. Many aren't out at the set-up beginning hours, makes more sense to catch you when your returning after the hunt so lights aren't as important. But for the record, its a safety thing, not just for you, but anyone else around you and its really easy to just run some wire and lights or just use the battery clamp-on, or cheap head lamps. I ordered some self adhesive LED light strips for $5 on ebay in red, green and white and they are awsome, bright and very low power needed.
drjon
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting