Shooting from boats?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Shooting from boats?

Postby Kaianuanu » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:34 pm

just getting into waterfowling but i was wondering how many of you florida duck hunters shoot right from your boats, if so, what steps do you take to camo your boat?
Kaianuanu
hunter

Re: Shooting from boats?

Postby waterdogds » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:39 am

Kaianuanu wrote:just getting into waterfowling but i was wondering how many of you florida duck hunters shoot right from your boats, if so, what steps do you take to camo your boat?

There are many different ways for concealing your boat. Really depends on where you'll be hunting. If you are hunting where building a boat blind in the water is allowed, then use any natural vegetation to stuff it thick(bamboo, dog finnels). If you decide to hunt an area where these permanent type blinds are not allowed, you'll have to have a boat blind. You can custom build one to fit your boat, or you can purchase a pre fabed frame that attaches to the boat. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:05 am

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158433

This should get you started. The boat forum is full of great information. Just read and learn.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:21 am

We always hunted from either a 1436 jon boat or our Hybrid NL's. I built a easy scissor blind for the 1436, and the powerpoint on how i built it is in my signature. The hybrids were great for areas with low lying grass because they are easy to hide. Only hunted 2 or 3 places where a boat was not required, and those were done on the quota hunt system. Check out CL for a good jon boat or if you are solo hunting, build yourself a hybrid!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Kaianuanu » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 am

Well, I get the basics of blind construction, the thing is that im 17 and i'm trying to get started on my skinny budget in time for the early teal season, in an attempt to get a little experience for the main seasons. And at the moment all i have is a little boat and enough money for a dozen cheap decoys and a call or two and i was trying to figure out if only having my boat done in camo spray paint will blow a hunt and do i really need to attempt some blind construction. If i really must, how well do you guys think a pvc frame w/ some camo netting like this would fare. By the way, I dont have any private areas or honey holes, i was planning to try Lake Jessup or possibly the strip of the St. Johns that the Lake Monroe WMA is on.

Kaianuanu
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:23 am

A boat with just camo paint will not get you far, but others might disagree. You need to blend in as much with your surroundings as possible if you really want a chance at a successful hunt. Using natural vegitation from the surrounding area can help, but most WMA's have laws against cutting brush and trees.

The downside with the PVC blind frame is that it can sag if too much weight is applied to the frame. EMT is fairly strong and cheap. a 10' section is only $3.50 at Lowe's for 3/4". I don't know how big your boat is, but the longer the length, the more that PVC is going to sag.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby waterdogds » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Check out the Avery natural grass mats. They are 4 ft in width and close to 5 ft in length. I simply lay them across the boat side to side, bow to stern. Throw some other natural vegetation on top and there you go. This way keeps your profile lower than the framed blind and will cost much less. It takes a little time to set up, but for $50.00 +/- you can get a pack of 4 grass mats and with a little effort and customization, you'll be ready for the season.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:44 pm

You can take cabbage palm fronds and stick them in the mud around your boat and you will be hid pretty good, just use plenty of them.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby JAXDuckMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:48 pm

I have a blind that I made for my 1436 I found out last year its easyier to use the palmettos that I get on the side of the road before I get to my hunt spot. Or I park the boat on the bank in the weeds. Either way I got birds most of the time doing that.
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 pm

I did this for early season last year in our 16x56 mud boat. Take a roll of twine and camo duck tape and get camo burlap and natural vegetation like dogfennel or palmettos, whatever matches where you hunt. when you get to your spot, or before you are on the water, run the twine across the boat and secure tight with tape. when at your spot and set up lay the burlap over it leaving a spot for you to shoot from. Lay in the bottom of the boat and use it like a big lay out blind. we hunted 3 people doing this. Just lay the vegetation over the burlap to break up the lines
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 pm

In my opinion, you can camo your boat pretty good from your surroundings once you get on station... Getting brush off the side of the road is a good idea as well. I built a blind for my jon boat last season, and didn't really end up using it too much. Palmettos and a little bit of grass seemed to do the trick.

You said you had money for a few cheap decoys and some calls... I'd say get the decoys, but use the call money towards something else... Listen to the birds this season and then get some at the end...

Good luck and happy hunting.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby Kaianuanu » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:20 pm

already got a call and i think (or at least hope), ill be at a level where it will be at least somewhat beneficial to my hunt to have it. now ive got about 50 bucks that im going to try to buy a cheap dozen of mallard decoys with if i cant find any deals on craigslist.
Kaianuanu
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 am

people can get real fancy and feel cool with a nice pop up blind, but most i see are just dumb. they are built way to high and just stick out plain as day.

haul some stuff out there and hide your boat with natural vegetation. your boat in the middle of the lake with a pop up "blind" is not going to work.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:26 pm

You can get a dozen or so teal for cheap.
tknight006
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm

make sure your matching the decoys to the primary species your going to be after. and try not to skimp on the decoy quality if you can. you certainly get what you pay for.
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:33 pm

tknight006 wrote:You can get a dozen or so teal for cheap.

Welcome home Trey..... :beer:
waterdogds
hunter

Postby sigalphjoe44 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Dont waste your time or money with a pop-up blind. paint your boat olive drab, grab a palm frond some black, tan, and brown paint and old the front "fingers" in a decent sized bunch approx 6 inches (horrible with the inches) away from the boat and to simple quick sprays with that mix all over the boat. use whichever colors blend with the areas you'll be hunting the most. simple olive drab by itself will work. cut palm fronds and develop a pvc holder that can be modified to attach to your boat. obviously paint that as well. cut the fronds but leave about 6 inches on the limb to place into the pvc. a 15ft. boat should take about 25-30 fronds max. save old fronds in your back yard as the dead ones will come in handy when brown is the color on your hunting ground.

thats the generally idea, you'll figure out how to perfect it but thats easy. pop-up blinds suck, they dont look naturally, they look "boxy" and they dont move with the wind. ringers and teal are relatively dumb soo you'll have ppl successful either way guaranteed. find whats cheapest and easiest for you.

bluewing teal and ringers are primarily what we get here soo a dozen of either specie will be sufficient and you can grow from there. leave your call at home, no one likes the guy wailing hail calls and comeback calls to ringnecks, they dont work and make you look like you belong in a circus. give yourself a few years a maybe you can start talking to some bluewings but its all about the X. scout scout and scout some more. if you put em to bed, you can bet your xbox they will be coming to the same spot for breakfast in the morning.

if someone beat you to the X, go to plan B, plan C, and plan D. alwys have back-ups. dont be the guy who push polls up to within 100 yards of another hunter because you somehow believe that you will get just as many birds as you previously saw there. your just going to screw up their hunt and make them fantasize about reenacting scenes from Predator with you. simply go to your next option since you've been scouting you should always know where some good back up holes are.

dont skyblast, if they arent within 40 yards dont chance a cripple. the only thing i hate more than a crippler is a skyblaster, the only thing i hate more than a skyblaster is a push poll creeper, the only thing i hate more than a push pole creeper is a Buck Gardner wanna be in Florida, the only thing i hate more than a Buck Gardner wannabe in our beloved state is a Yankee, and there is nothing worse than a yankee....DONT EVER BE A YANKEE!!!! :fingerpt:

in all seriousness, an old timer taught me how to hunt one day and i plan on teaching my kids one day. if everyone taught the yankees of the lake how to hunt we wouldnt have the circus' we get sometimes. that being said, shoot me a PM and we'll see if your close to me and we'll see if I can teach ya some etiquette and some tricks sometime. if not, be nice to the old timers at your boat ramp, offer to be their slave for the season in exchange for a few hunts. im sure after you've cleaned enough birds and cut enough fronds you'll have some excellent hunts, new friends, and great memories under your belt. always remember to SHOOT EM IN THE FACE! :thumbsup:
sigalphjoe44
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:03 pm

im going to add to what sigalphjoe44 said about skyblasting. Yes its nice to kill ducks, and you mght think it makes you look good to make that long shot. But theres not much more satisfing as a duck hunter than ducks working your decoys and committing to them. John Stephens, the president of RNT calls, tells people this- "some duck hunters pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, but real duck hunters pride themselves on how close they can get them."
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby jedisme » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:38 pm

I rarely shoot or hunt from the boat. I have always had better success hunting from the natural vegetation.
jedisme
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:51 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:im going to add to what sigalphjoe44 said about skyblasting. Yes its nice to kill ducks, and you mght think it makes you look good to make that long shot. But theres not much more satisfing as a duck hunter than ducks working your decoys and committing to them. John Stephens, the president of RNT calls, tells people this- "some duck hunters pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, but real duck hunters pride themselves on how close they can get them."

With lakes all dried up where will the skybuster pro competition be this year? :lol3:
Last edited by vpadfsu on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:33 pm

lake ella :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :thumbsup:
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:47 pm

lol
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby EZ66 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:04 am

sigalphjoe44, brought up some good points for us newbs. I wanted to ask something since this weekend will be my 1st.

Let say I put in my canoe, and paddle up to a section, and notice there is a hunter or group already there. How much space should I give them as to not crowd them and keep safe distance?

Thanks.
EZ66
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 am

Odds are that you will see them well before you get to the spot, they will probably have some sort of light on to le others know they're there. With that being said, you might as well get as far as you can from them. People will stack in top of each other and basically ruin the hunting experience. I would like to say a few hundred yards, but that's wishful thinking
tknight006
hunter

Re: Re: Shooting from boats?

Postby whaknstak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:30 am

EZ66 wrote:sigalphjoe44, brought up some good points for us newbs. I wanted to ask something since this weekend will be my 1st.

Let say I put in my canoe, and paddle up to a section, and notice there is a hunter or group already there. How much space should I give them as to not crowd them and keep safe distance?

Thanks.

As far away as possible. No need to crowd and ruin two hunts. They lost sleep and got there first, give them space. No less than two hundred yards imo, although as stated above, that is highly unlikely.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting