How Low Will She Go?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

How Low Will She Go?

Postby waterdogds » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:35 pm

If this lack of good rain persist, water levels in our lakes are going to separate the men from the boys figuratively speaking. What was barely accessible last season should pose a significant challenge this year. If we happen to have a good year in terms of duck numbers, finding them should be easy. Just find the water.
Attachments
IMAG0259.jpg
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Re: How Low Will She Go?

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:59 am

The problem then is finding water without 5 other boats hunting the same small area. The low water may run a few off, but I think it is just going to make for more overcrowding of what is available.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:41 am

reelsouthern1220 wrote:The problem then is finding water without 5 other boats hunting the same small area. The low water may run a few off, but I think it is just going to make for more overcrowding of what is available.

Without a doubt...it's sure to be interesting.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:07 am

that picture makes me sad
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby BigBend » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Gonna be doing alot of bowhunting this year if the pressure is as bad as my crystal ball says it is. Put some miles on the truck for ducks, maybe whack a few winter time fish too.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby greatwhite » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:26 pm

We can just line up on the dock.
greatwhite
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:30 am

Question about Micc. Does anyone know if they reopened the gates to drain water again? Ive been out there alot this summer (almost ever week) frog giggin and bow fishin and i noticed the water had been coming up since the initial opening of the damn. But I was there on tuesday night and it had seems like the water had dropped at least a foot since a week ago. I went out of reeves, and the only area accessible to the south of the landing was the main open water. Even barley edging into the lillies I was out of water. A week ago I was going all through there catching frogs, but we couldnt even make it a full boat lenght into the vegetation. Anyone heard anything? Because the lake has definately dropped. With the rain we have been having I was expecting it to come up a little.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby bdub » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:51 am

Yea they opened it up the about aweek or so ago.
bdub
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 am

Had the same problem last year where I hunt in North Texas, but a lot worse. On opening day we parked at the boat launch and walked 3/4 of a mile before we hit mud, another hundred yards before we reached ankle deep water. At those conditions, it really thinned out the crowd. There was one launch on the whole lake that had enough water in it to launch a mud motor with a lot of hard work...definitely not a one or two man operation. With no rain and more than 40 100+degree days in a row last summer, the lake was dropping something like 6" a week. :no:

The only cool thing about it was there are a couple of wooded islands that are usually almost a mile from the shoreline that had become part of the shoreline at that time, and I counted around 50 deer, dozen hogs, etc. leaving them opening morning to go feed while I was hunting ducks. I felt like I was at the last watering hole for miles on an African safari...
CutEm214
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:06 pm

need allow us to hunt pine ez lake....
Last edited by vpadfsu on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:20 pm

vpadfsu wrote:micc lake is gone? Lake immonia gone? lake jackson gone? hahahahaha ***!!!!!!!!!!! need allow us to hunt pine ez lake....

man you know all the good spots! you must slay ducks!
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Checked some small cypress ponds that have been dry for nearly ten years, and all were just about back to normal levels and holding. There may be hope for us yet.
waterdogds
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:56 pm

We def looking good!! Just needs to keep raining to battle evaporation...
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby Black & White » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:07 am

I was out there friday and a FWC biologist was at the landing when i pulled up. I talked to him for a little bit about the lake/project and he was actually a pretty cool dude. But man o does it break my heart to see that lake like that. Have so many memories on that lake.
Black & White
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:31 am

If the lake is even huntable, it will be a nightmare. With the exception of the open channel, the main lake is dry and what little bit of water is left towards the back will be cut off soon.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting