Registering Homemade boat

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Registering Homemade boat

Postby JAXcrisp » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 am

What all do I need to do to register my home-build in FL? I'm trying to get as much information as I can before I get back from Afghanistan. Anyone with any experience in this please chime in. Thanks
JAXcrisp
hunter

Re: Registering Homemade boat

Postby duckhunter48 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 am

I would assume its the same as registering a homemade trailer. Just go to the tax office or whatever and tell them you have a homemade boat that you need to register. They will probably just ask you questions like how long it is, what color it is, how much it weighs, and things of that nature. shouldnt be a problem and i wouldnt think it would cost more than like 50 bucks at the most. good luck!
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby JAXcrisp » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 am

Awesome, that's what I was hoping it would be.
JAXcrisp
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:31 pm

first off hurry home safe!!! I'm deployed out here too in the North Arabian Gulf supporting you guys....

Your gonna need all reciepts for it. It was a HUGE pain to register mine. I didnt have anything. After arguing with 3-4 people and wasting about an hour they ended up letting me sign a statment saying that i used scrap wood and left over materials to build mine. I can't remember exactly waht it cost but i do remember thinking it was way to much $$ for a little one man 10 foot hybrid boat that weighs in at 75 LBS......
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby BigBend » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 pm

hunt-chessies wrote:Your gonna need all reciepts for it. It was a HUGE pain to register mine.

That was my experience as well, I also brought pics of the build too. luckily I had the receipts for fiberglass and wood, but they still ask you a bunch of questions to make sure your not trying to register a stolen boat.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby JAXcrisp » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:22 am

I was out in RC East, pretty damn dicey deployment. Nice of the Army to end it before duck season! I'm stationed at Bragg and found out to register it in NC just takes a notarized form. No reciepts, no inspections...real easy apparently. Looks like my first weekend back will include a trip to Raleigh. Then later I can switch the title to FL, where I'll probably spend all day at the Duval County Tax Collectors office.
JAXcrisp
hunter

Postby Saltwatershooter » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:56 am

It Depends on which person you get at the tax collectors office and how knowledgable that person is on homemade boats. I have 2 boats registered as homemade both only took about 20-30 minutes to register. Like mentioned already receipts for materials like wood, glass, wiring, batteries, nav lights, nut or bolts and paint are required. Pics do help them understand what type of boat is being registered.
Saltwatershooter
Newb

Return to Florida Duck Hunting