Early Season Teal

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Early Season Teal

Postby M2WOODIE » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:32 am

What type of decoy setups do yall use during the early teal season? What type of decoy's and how big of a spread?....I never hunt the early season but figured i would give it a try this year. Any help would be appreciated.
M2WOODIE
hunter

Re: Early Season Teal

Postby tknight006 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:13 am

I usually have a mix of BW and GW teal. I have them texas rigged and I basically grab all the lines at once and toss them out... its worked ok so far. usually 12-18 total. plus a mojo teal.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:43 am

I use about same # of decoys as knight...18 total. I have 4 teal decoys (def would like more) and mix it with 12 mallard hen decoys...worked.
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:20 pm

I normally ran about a dz to 2.5 dz teal and about 1/2dz coot decoys. Also ran 1 or 2 mojo teal and occassionally added in a few hen mallards. Seemed to work for me down in N. FL.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby duckhunter48 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:15 pm

M2WOODIE wrote:What type of decoy setups do yall use during the early teal season? What type of decoy's and how big of a spread?....I never hunt the early season but figured i would give it a try this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Seriously? Maybe you shouldn't try it out this year...just a little common sense and thinking in general and you should be able to answer your own question..

1. What type of decoys? - ok let's see, what type of ducks will I be hunting? Ok teal, I should probably use teal decoys.
2. How many decoys should I use? -man this ones a little tougher. But I'm sure a dozen or so would work.
3. What type of spread should I use? -also a toughy... Might actually have to scout and find some birds and notice how and where they were sitting in that particular spot.

Give me a break. :no:
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby M2WOODIE » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:01 pm

duckhunter48 wrote:
M2WOODIE wrote:What type of decoy setups do yall use during the early teal season? What type of decoy's and how big of a spread?....I never hunt the early season but figured i would give it a try this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Seriously? Maybe you shouldn't try it out this year...just a little common sense and thinking in general and you should be able to answer your own question..

1. What type of decoys? - ok let's see, what type of ducks will I be hunting? Ok teal, I should probably use teal decoys.
2. How many decoys should I use? -man this ones a little tougher. But I'm sure a dozen or so would work.
3. What type of spread should I use? -also a toughy... Might actually have to scout and find some birds and notice how and where they were sitting in that particular spot.

wow have a beer man :beer: , i guess i should have worded my questions differently...

Of course Teal decoy's would be ideal for early season teal. I just wanted to get a feel for what other Florida hunters used. I have decoy's just not any teal so I wasn't sure if I could set up with ring necks and coots and be successful. I will pick up a few teals decoys and mix them in with what I have. Thanks vpadfsu and tknight006 for the advice.
M2WOODIE
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:16 pm

just use hens. they just want to see silhouettes and brown. maybe a couple coots. just make it look like what you see when you find them.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:40 pm

From what i noticed the past couple years in FL, coot decoys are a must. I continue to watch Teal pile into coot decoys all the time down there. I plan to pick up at least another dozen coot decoys before i come down to hunt around Thanksgiving, just because they work well.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby bdub » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:44 am

Another good addition would be a jerk rig. They are easy to make and cheaper than a mojo. And it gives you somthing to do. I made one for 8 bucks last year using rope, small bunjee cord, a small anchor and i cut pieces off of a hangar for clips
bdub
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 am

I was living in chicago last year where i started hunting and had all mallards. Brough all mallards to florida and decoyed every duck but buffleheads with them...doesnt matter all hens look alike. Decoying teal pretty effective with mojo spinner...im buying woodduck, buffleheads, goldeneye decoys...
VPAD
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby M2WOODIE » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Picked up a Teal Mojo from Midwayusa for $46.99, I'll mix that in with the hens i have and we see what happens.
M2WOODIE
hunter

Postby BigBend » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:58 pm

vpadfsu wrote:I was living in chicago last year where i started hunting and had all mallards. Brough all mallards to florida and decoyed every duck but buffleheads with them...doesnt matter all hens look alike. Decoying teal pretty effective with mojo spinner...im buying woodduck, buffleheads, goldeneye decoys...

Why would you buy woodduck decoys?, i really dont view that as a "need" item. You were the member that said they learned everything through "extensive internet reading" (i know you deleted it after you did it). I know your into numbers and analytics, why dont you wait a few years and to up your sample size before you start laying down facts. you know, instead of going off one duck season (which happened to be your first) that you spent in two flyways...........
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby vpadfsu » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 pm

BigBend wrote:
vpadfsu wrote:I was living in chicago last year where i started hunting and had all mallards. Brough all mallards to florida and decoyed every duck but buffleheads with them...doesnt matter all hens look alike. Decoying teal pretty effective with mojo spinner...im buying woodduck, buffleheads, goldeneye decoys...

Why would you buy woodduck decoys?, i really dont view that as a "need" item. You were the member that said they learned everything through "extensive internet reading" (i know you deleted it after you did it). I know your into numbers and analytics, why dont you wait a few years and to up your sample size before you start laying down facts. you know, instead of going off one duck season (which happened to be your first) that you spent in two flyways...........

Wow someone sounds angry! First of all i deleted that post because i mentioned 3 different spots that i hunted didnt want that to get out "loose lip"...great one there buddy. Second of all i didnt go out and hunt by myself. I hunt with my roomate, his dad and my brother that been doing this for a lot longer than you. Last season I hunted roughly 20 days of Oct/Nov in Indiana, 10 days of Nov in michigan, 10 days of Dec in florida, and 15 days of Jan in florida. Best way to learn is through "trial and error" over 55 days trying new things till you get it right. Until you've tried duck hunting up north at a DNR with 50+ total blinds 100 yards apart that have 200 decoy spreads...you havent duck hunted. South was a joke compared to educated ducks up north.
Tallahassee has a lot of....wood ducks and second ringnecks. Why wouldn't you buy wood ducks especially when you have early wood duck season? ooohhh thats right because you prob never decoyed wood ducks, you just jump shoot them then go home. Wake up and smell the coffee...they sell wood duck decoys and wood duck spinners! But of course its all fake. Go about your stubborn ways.
VPAD
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:37 pm

thats just what we need....another college jerk off putting in at rococo hunting over a spread of woodies, buffleheads, and goldeneye deeks..... :no: :no: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :no: :no: :help: :help: :help:
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:50 pm

duckhunter48 wrote:

1. What type of reply and person should I show people I am: **** reply and a d-bag
2. How many people can I show just how big of a **** I was in my reply was? Everyone
3. What helpful information should I give? This one is tough. I am not sure you have anything useful.
troutman561
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:55 pm

duckhunter48 wrote:

thats just what we need....another college jerk off putting in at rococo hunting over a spread of woodies, buffleheads, and goldeneye deeks..... :no: :no: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :no: :no: :help: :help: :help:

Buffleheads and goldeneyes on the coast buddy. I mean you can get away with using your ring-neck decoys but for $200 why not get some redheads, buffleheads, and goldeneyes? Am i missing something here? Do you not hunt the coast?
VPAD
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:02 pm

vpadfsu wrote:
BigBend wrote:

Wow someone sounds angry! First of all i deleted that post because i mentioned 3 different spots that i hunted didnt want that to get out "loose lip"...great one there buddy. Second of all i didnt go out and hunt by myself. I hunt with my roomate, his dad and my brother that been doing this for a lot longer than you. Last season I hunted roughly 20 days of Oct/Nov in Indiana, 10 days of Nov in michigan, 10 days of Dec in florida, and 15 days of Jan in florida. Best way to learn is through "trial and error" over 55 days trying new things till you get it right. Until you've tried duck hunting up north at a DNR with 50+ total blinds 100 yards apart that have 200 decoy spreads...you havent duck hunted. South was a joke compared to educated ducks up north.
Tallahassee has a lot of....wood ducks and second ringnecks. Why wouldn't you buy wood ducks especially when you have early wood duck season? ooohhh thats right because you prob never decoyed wood ducks, you just jump shoot them then go home. Wake up and smell the coffee...they sell wood duck decoys and wood duck spinners! But of course its all fake. Go about your stubborn ways.

You've got to be joking...First of all, your statement that ducks are more educated up north could not be further from the truth. Which direction do ducks migrate? By the time alot of ducks make it down here, they've seen it all. More importantly, the fact that you would even argue that wood duck decoys are necessary tells me that "you haven't duck hunted," as you put it. Will they decoy on occasion? Absolutely. Does it make one bit of difference whether you're hunting over a spread of wood duck decoys or another species? Hell no. Wood ducks are extremely determined in their movements. They leave the roost knowing exactly where they're going, and usually don't stray from that path. If you're where they want to be or are set up along their flight path, that's how you'll kill the most wood ducks. If you think the existence of wood duck decoys and wood duck spinners are proof that you need them, you're a marketer's dream.

I wouldn't come onto a forum with one season under your belt telling guys with years of exprience, particularly in this area, how to hunt or that they "haven't hunted".
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby BigBend » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 pm

vpadfsu wrote:South was a joke compared to educated ducks up north.

Its comical that you think you have it all figured out.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby tknight006 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:27 pm

troutman561 wrote:
1. What type of reply and person should I show people I am: **** reply and a d-bag
2. How many people can I show just how big of a **** I was in my reply was? Everyone
3. What helpful information should I give? This one is tough. I am not sure you have anything useful.

:beer:
tknight006
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Every time I log onto this forum I feel like i'm watching an episode of Jersey Shore. I dunno whats more gay, you guys arguing about vpad's goldeneye decoy fantasy or the fact that I've seen an episode of jersey shore.....damn, dont hate my old lady made me do it..... :fingerhead:

Chill out kids.....I don't care what decoys you use duck hunting is gonna be garbage this year, round tallahassee anyways. I'll be hittin the woods with my deer bow :thumbsup:
You pay for you!

Postby vpadfsu » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:18 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:Does it make one bit of difference whether you're hunting over a spread of wood duck decoys or another species? Hell no. Wood ducks are extremely determined in their movements. They leave the roost knowing exactly where they're going, and usually don't stray from that path. If you're where they want to be or are set up along their flight path, that's how you'll kill the most wood ducks. If you think the existence of wood duck decoys and wood duck spinners are proof that you need them, you're a marketer's dream.

I wouldn't come onto a forum with one season under your belt telling guys with years of exprience, particularly in this area, how to hunt or that they "haven't hunted".

That does make sense the way you put it...we had tons flying over our head towards corn fields at end of day...always had a single or double come close enough to our non wood duck decoys to shoot. I will stick to ordering more ringnecks. Any experience you want to share on goldeneyes? I had two opportunities last year but blew it. I figure it was one of two things, i was facing same direction as wind they saw me on their approach or didn't like my random decoys.
VPAD
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:56 am

Never heard of anyone using goldeneye decoys in FL. Not sure which coast you are planning hunting. Seen them here in VA...but not in the past 4 years i've hunted in FL! I would just stick with the buffie decoys and save yourself the money. If you are really out for goldeneye...buffie and any other diver decoys will work just fine.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby tknight006 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:55 am

I just ordered 5 dozen magnum mallards.... thats all I'm gonna use. I plan on getting my limit of green heads every weekend in Guana.
tknight006
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:14 am

tknight006 wrote:I just ordered 5 dozen magnum mallards.... thats all I'm gonna use. I plan on getting my limit of green heads every weekend in Guana.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That has to be the funniest thing i have seen posted in here!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 am

he needs to pick up some old sqaw decoys and some harlequin duck decoys too, i saw tons of flights last year on jackson!! :lol:
36 Prodrive FPR chasing a 1654 express
NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting