EARLY SEASON TEAL-WHERE IN FLORIDA!!!?????

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

EARLY SEASON TEAL-WHERE IN FLORIDA!!!?????

Postby kwright » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:02 pm

I live in south GA and have always wanted to get on some good
Teal hunting down in Flordia. I'm about an hour north of the
Flordia line (I live in Tifton, GA).

Here are my general questions...All help is GREATLY appreciated:

1. Where is some good public hunting?
2. How hard is it to hunt Teal in Flordia?
3. Are mostly blue wings or green wings prominent? Always assumed blue wings were the main teal species in Flordia.
4. What other than out of state license and federal stamp would I need (legal)?

I can't think of anymore questions but all I know is that I want to hunt Flordia Teal. Also I have a 1648 legendcraft and 27hp Beavertail so I can options are endless.

Again all and any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
kwright
hunter

Re: EARLY SEASON TEAL-WHERE IN FLORIDA!!!?????

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:38 pm

kwright wrote:Here are my general questions...All help is GREATLY appreciated:

1. Where is some good public hunting? I don't think you will find anyone that is going to give you that answer. All we will tell you is to scout it out like everyone else.

2. How hard is it to hunt Teal in Flordia? Same as everywhere else. Fast, erratic flyers. Set out a decent spread in a good spot with a call and you might get a few.

3. Are mostly blue wings or green wings prominent? Always assumed blue wings were the main teal species in Flordia. Early season...you will mostly see Bluewings. All depends though because i've shot both during early season.

4. What other than out of state license and federal stamp would I need (legal)? If you plan to hunt a WMA, you will need that permit as well.

I can't think of anymore questions but all I know is that I want to hunt Flordia Teal. Also I have a 1648 legendcraft and 27hp Beavertail so I can options are endless. Actually you might be limited with that set up. Since you are most likely looking to hunt north FL, the WMA's there are either HP restricted to 10HP (Guana) or electric motor only (PCS). You might be able to stumble upon a public lake and then you will do well with that set up. Might seriously start researching stuff on www.myfwc.com if you are really considering heading down to FL for early season.

Sorry if those were not the answers you were looking for...but is is pretty much the truth. A lot of people on here will shy away from giving out spots and any info relating to good spots because they go out and find them and do the scouting work. This is the the time of year when the cyberscouters come out of the woodwork. Hopefully you get some info that will help you out or might get lucky and buddy up with someone. Good Luck! :thumbsup:
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby kwright » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks for the obvious "hard truth". I'm definitely not asking or would ever recommend anyone give me lat. & long. To their favorite honey hole...let me rephrase:

Are there any major public lakes that have descent hunting?

I do plenty of scouting and bust my tail all year round to make sure I have a good season, I just wanted to see if there were any places that someone could point me in the right direction.

Forgive me for coming off as a little offended but why is there a forum called "duckhuntingchat.com"?? Oh yeah, to talk duck.
kwright
hunter

Re: Re: EARLY SEASON TEAL-WHERE IN FLORIDA!!!?????

Postby duckluck » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 pm

kwright wrote:Thanks for the obvious "hard truth". I'm definitely not asking or would ever recommend anyone give me lat. & long. To their favorite honey hole...let me rephrase:

Are there any major public lakes that have descent hunting?

I do plenty of scouting and bust my tail all year round to make sure I have a good season, I just wanted to see if there were any places that someone could point me in the right direction.

Forgive me for coming off as a little offended but why is there a forum called "duckhuntingchat.com"?? Oh yeah, to talk duck.

Right... "Duck hunting chat" not... "whereyouhunt.org" its simple to get a good start right off your computer. Google earth and the search bar in the top right corner can clue you in on good hunting that has happened in the past. You've already had a couple good comments for help...???

Anyone can mention a lake and that could be all it takes to ruin your own personal duck hunting, I'm sure the Fl boys agree with me...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
First shot I usually miss, the second I normally hit in the same spot, the third more or less is like a "screw that coot!"

Don't write a check with your mouth, That your ass can't cash!
duckluck
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 am

kwright wrote:Are there any major public lakes that have descent hunting?

I do wish you luck in you search for a place to go, but duckluck gave you the tool that can help you out. The main reason some might not point you to a specific lake is from lessons learned like this:

2 years ago a group of guys i hunt with found a secluded pair of lakes that we scouted and watched during the off season and up to the opening of September teal. It was a nice spot. On opening day there were 4 boats out on the lake, and on this particular lake, the max you could really hunt on it was maybe 10 boats. We were happy with 4 boats. September season came and went, come the November season we head out there again after doing more scouting. Once again, 4 boats...good to go and a good day for all. The next weekend we are out at the local WMA. Out there one guy was telling everyone about that certain lake that had a ton of birds on it, which was the lake we had been hunting occassionally. Next time we went out to hunt it, there were almost 20 boats trying to hunt that lake, and many of them were guys we never seen out there and all said they heard about it from some guy at the local WMA. Since many of those guys had never been on that lake, they had no idea about the amount of vegitation, fallen trees under the water, etc...basically all the hazards of the lake. This, combined with darkness in the morning lead to chaos on the lake for people trying to get to a spot. All because some idiot ran his mouth, the hunting on that lake sucked for the rest of the season.

So if i sound negative about pointing you to some place to hunt, the story above is why. I've been burned and so has many others on here. If FL had blind laws like VA, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal because in VA you have to maintain 250-500 yards between licensed stationary and boat blinds. So once again, try google earth and put some miles on the truck or try to buddy up with someone already in FL that might take you along someplace.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby kwright » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:41 am

All valid points. And I understand. but for me, and I guess im an exception, I wouldn't have a problem helping someone out with the name of a good lake to hunt in GA. That's all. I'll figure it out. Just looking for a new scenery. Wasn't trying to start a war on here.
kwright
hunter

Postby duckluck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 am

kwright wrote:All valid points. And I understand. but for me, and I guess im an exception, I wouldn't have a problem helping someone out with the name of a good lake to hunt in GA. That's all. I'll figure it out. Just looking for a new scenery. Wasn't trying to start a war on here.

No war buddy, I understand where your coming from but not everyone is willing to go out and "scout" Its too easy anymore to get on DHC or local forums and find out where the birds are landing... No hard feelings. :beer:

PM sent
First shot I usually miss, the second I normally hit in the same spot, the third more or less is like a "screw that coot!"

Don't write a check with your mouth, That your ass can't cash!
duckluck
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 am

I can tell ya.....Florida ain't Georgia.

I live on the GA/FL line and hunt in FL about 85% of the time. I understand where you're coming from but I'm originally from Lake Seminole then moved to Valdosta about 12 years ago so putting up with stupid on public duck water is a never ending thing.

Without the internet, half the guys with Drake and DU stickers would never shoot a duck. Hell, half the ABAC guys I've met are a bunch of mallard highball'n, woodie skyblast'n, face paint'n ...Chad Belding wanna be's...but I guess the paracord goose band choker necklaces are cutting the blood off to their brain. They're the reason I stopped hunting in a mill pond north of me.

Living in Tifton you're within 3 hours of great hunting. Draw a 3 hour cirlce around Tifton then strike a trail and scout. I did it...most of my friends did it....half the guys that I've met hunting public land did it.

The majority of the places I hunt are smaller bodies of water and I cring everytime I see one of them pop up on a forum.

I'd start out at Lake Okeechobee...be safe.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 pm

VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:07 pm

kwright wrote:I live in south GA and have always wanted to get on some good
Teal hunting down in Flordia. I'm about an hour north of the
Flordia line (I live in Tifton, GA).

Here are my general questions...All help is GREATLY appreciated:

1. Where is some good public hunting?
2. How hard is it to hunt Teal in Flordia?
3. Are mostly blue wings or green wings prominent? Always assumed blue wings were the main teal species in Flordia.
4. What other than out of state license and federal stamp would I need (legal)?

I can't think of anymore questions but all I know is that I want to hunt Flordia Teal. Also I have a 1648 legendcraft and 27hp Beavertail so I can options are endless.

Again all and any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

i honestly only just read the first 2 lines of this....lol nno!:
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby chris_k » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Whenever you hunt a new place, anywhere in the nation:

1) Look for local rules and regulations.
2) Go, scout and hunt. That's what I do. I don't get tips. I don't beg for info. I just go and do my best. For your first trip, killing a duck should be the least of your worries.
3) Don't ask questions on the internet about where to hunt. That's call cyberscouting. You will piss people off, me included.

And for all you cyberscouters out there saying "well, I won't spend the money in gas if I don't know if there will be any ducks". If you ain't got money to go and scout, and possibly don't kill a darn thing, stay at home ... you'll do a lot of people a favor.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting