Calling to teal

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Calling to teal

Postby bdub » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:55 am

How important, if at all, is calling to teal. I know its not going to make a difference in tally because of how close all the hunters will be :fingerhead:. but im speaking in general terms. Last year was my first teal season and I only got to hunt 2 of the days. So I still dont have much of a clue at all about teal.

Thanks
bdub
hunter

Re: Calling to teal

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:15 am

Take a teal whistle with you. Use it if they pass you up and try to call them back. I have had some luck with the whistle, but better luck on BWT with the Duck Commander teal call. Hunt-chessies will tell you that i have called back and in quite a few flocks of BWT with that DC teal call. Just have to know how to blow it right.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby tknight006 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:04 pm

I have had luck with all types of birds when using a teal whistle. I only ever use it if I see their tail feathers, but one or two little peeps has really helped out..

It could have been the guy 50 yards down going to town on his mallard call... but I think not.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Ichabod97 wrote:Take a teal whistle with you. Use it if they pass you up and try to call them back. I have had some luck with the whistle, but better luck on BWT with the Duck Commander teal call. Hunt-chessies will tell you that i have called back and in quite a few flocks of BWT with that DC teal call. Just have to know how to blow it right.

blue wings dont whistle. they quack. the DC call sounds really good if you know how to blow a duck call. but chances are you dont, and you will be better off just being quiet.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:30 pm

duckhunter48 wrote:
Ichabod97 wrote:Take a teal whistle with you. Use it if they pass you up and try to call them back. I have had some luck with the whistle, but better luck on BWT with the Duck Commander teal call. Hunt-chessies will tell you that i have called back and in quite a few flocks of BWT with that DC teal call. Just have to know how to blow it right.

blue wings dont whistle. they quack. the DC call sounds really good if you know how to blow a duck call. but chances are you dont, and you will be better off just being quiet.

Are you just full of insults today buddy? I know BWT don't whistle, that is what i use the DC Teal call on. The whistle is for the GWT. Wow...i didn't just start duck hunting yesterday. And yes i do know how to blow that DC Teal call...just ask hunt-chessies, belly up dux, astrobud311 and Jaxduckman for that proof. Called in plenty of BWT for them to shoot at.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 pm

he wasnt saying you dont. but most people dont
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:01 am

Ichabod97 wrote:
duckhunter48 wrote:

Are you just full of insults today buddy? I know BWT don't whistle, that is what i use the DC Teal call on. The whistle is for the GWT. Wow...i didn't just start duck hunting yesterday. And yes i do know how to blow that DC Teal call...just ask hunt-chessies, belly up dux, astrobud311 and Jaxduckman for that proof. Called in plenty of BWT for them to shoot at.

sorry man. i was referring to the guy that posted originally. i assumed he was talking about early season, which is blue wings. just trying to clarify for the guy so he knows. youve been around here for a while so i would know better than just to completely insult you lol
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:20 am

No worries man. :beer:
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia