Low Prof. Blinds?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Low Prof. Blinds?

Postby bdub » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:11 am

Just finished painting my jon boat I bought this summer. Im wanting to build my own blind for it. I want it to be as low profile as possible, since I have see birds flare from that massive blinds alot of the guys around here use. Does anyone have any pics of theirs just to give me a idea. Im wanting to use the bottom of my boat as a seat.
bdub
hunter

Re: Low Prof. Blinds?

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:38 am

I am about to re-do mine as well and actually just started working on it yesterday. My scissor blind was built with it being as low profile as possible in mind and it actually worked out well, but I want to try sitting in the bottom like you mentioned now that I remodeled my boat. I will post up if I can get this thing put together and its worth while. There was another post somewhere ill try and find that a guy kind of did a home made gatortrax 'hide' boat with the decking all the way. Good luck
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:44 am

bdub wrote:Just finished painting my jon boat I bought this summer. Im wanting to build my own blind for it. I want it to be as low profile as possible, since I have see birds flare from that massive blinds alot of the guys around here use. Does anyone have any pics of theirs just to give me a idea. Im wanting to use the bottom of my boat as a seat.

PM sent.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:38 am

I'm working on a new low profile type scissor blind for my boat, but you would be sitting on gun boxes instead of the floor. My last design was just a tad tall for some spots. Should have a powerpoint put together by the end of September at the latest on how i built it.

But i did a quick search in the boats section and found this link. Might help you out some:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=190449&hilit=gator
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:11 am

Ichabod's link hand some talk about what I'm toying with now. Balancing the boat with 2-3 people leaning against one side. My boat is just an old jon and one 36" wide so I need some support. Trying to firgure out how to attach spud pole mounts to keep the opposite side from rising so much. Aside from that I'm not planning on doing full 'hard' decking. I still want to have my open floorplan for hauling guys and gear and just set it up once we get to the spot we are setting up on.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Postby bdub » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

reelsouthern1220 wrote:Ichabod's link hand some talk about what I'm toying with now. Balancing the boat with 2-3 people leaning against one side. My boat is just an old jon and one 36" wide so I need some support. Trying to firgure out how to attach spud pole mounts to keep the opposite side from rising so much. Aside from that I'm not planning on doing full 'hard' decking. I still want to have my open floorplan for hauling guys and gear and just set it up once we get to the spot we are setting up on.

Im going to hang a couple of anchors for counter weight on the opposite side. Most of the hunting I do, im posted up against a grass mound or mud so it wont be to big of an issue. I only have a 36" also. So let me know how it goes. If you click on the link that ichabod posted there is another link in that forum that shows exaclty what im talking about doing.

This is the link.... http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=168333&hilit=beaver
bdub
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:52 am

i had a buddy that built one with conduit that had a couple sections (~2' long) that were linked together. they would fold back in sections that were connected to the front and back of the boat. then would fold out and then link together in the middle. this was on a gheenoe though. its going to be hard to stay real low profile with a jon boat, but im sure it could be done..good luck!
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:28 pm

i ran twine width wise across my boat, leaving space to pop up in. and layed vegetaion and burlap over it all. hunting 3 people laying down. then again, it is a 52" wide boat
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby chris_k » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:05 am

This is my blind. The top of the blind is eye-level when sitting down. That's the most important thing. To have good visibility when sitted down.

So the height of your blind depends on how tall you are, and how tall the seats are.
Attachments
73462_10100562649218271_4423124_n.jpg
66076_10100562639457831_8346859_n.jpg
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:36 pm

chris_k nice! Question on the top. I have a T shape PVC attached front/back of boat that i just hang burlap covering both sides of boat like yours. I sat down in boat where i sit and cut wholes in burlap so i can see. Top is open so I can stand up to shoot. Whats best solution or material i can use on top to block some sun light but also good to stand up through. Def not looking for pop up top. Last year i used palms on top so when i stood up i just knocked them off but on windy days they flew off plus had to keep replacing them as they fell apart. Any better ideas?
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting